Clifton; Mess at 46 West Show :)

1 hour ago, BigW said:

C2 did some serious gap closure.

Up in drums with huge spread

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Ditto. Did everyone appear to have their show completed to you?

According to the recap, Bushwackers had a two-point penalty.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

According to the recap, Bushwackers had a two-point penalty.

The deuce seems to be some minimum. Then they tack incrementally after that for more time after a certain point by my guess.

4 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

The panel told us they judged us like we were a DCI Open Class corps. Don’t know what to think about that, but it’s another set of opinions we will use to get better. We go back to work tomorrow. 

My guess is that means they're still very demanding and have high expectations, just not at the insane atom-splitting level of World Class. That is a big help and I think a compliment to the corps considering that CT's number holds well with several of the opens, and they're pretty good. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Percussion's always been the cornerstone there. Reading between the lines, a fair amount of them move up into the Cadets when they're ready.

Not discounting C2’s percussion at all. It’s Bucs number that seems out of whack. Like a 1.5 drop in a week

Edited by Jeff Ream

12 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

The panel told us they judged us like we were a DCI Open Class corps. Don’t know what to think about that, but it’s another set of opinions we will use to get better. We go back to work tomorrow. 

I'd say they goofed up then, because:

(1) DCI Open Class uses the same sheets as DCI World Class; and

(2) DCA scores are about 10-15 pts. higher than DCI scores.

How do we know #2? Last year and most years, The Company and Kidsgrove Scouts are about even in quality. Last year, The Company scored 72 in their final DCI Open Class show. Three weeks later, Kidsgrove scored 91 in their final DCA shows. DCA corps who performed both weeks saw their scores increase by an average of six points. So 72 in DCI is worth about 85 in DCA. (To be sure, I'd like to have a lot more data points than this!)

• Thanks 1

A great night for drum corps.  Cabs have a great tradition here.   Bought an unreserved ticket, floated around, visited souvies, had at least 15 conversations with folks I rarely see now.  Watched entire show from stands (3 spots) last by right side 40, stands perspective right), or sidelines.   Cabs alumni - sorry I heard it as I circled the stadium to walk a few blocks to car. 

A few comments, not nearly a review ...

Encore – really groovy pit w/ elect kybd, and set drummer awesome in the pocket, he may have been 12 YO if that.  A corps from college alma mater New Brunswick.  Great energy on the field, lots to work with.  Strong trumpet sounds.   Full package, guard and battery.   Great to see a 1st season corps.  DCI circuit I believe.

Saints – new uniforms and gorgeous.   They have some big trips possible for 2020 – watch this space.

Skyliners – rebuilding time.    (same for alumni, but the repertoire is great to live on!)

Hurcs – great sound, energy.   Now the competition is ON.

Bush – many examples of great musicianship, as always.  Pablo panels apparently not ready.  Tough choice to have blank very present panels on field.  Will probably be very cool uplift when ready.

Sun – sorry, distracting troubles with amplification.   Buzzed out for last 5 mins or so. 

<side note on sound systems) Ain’t easy to compete with the sounds systems of all.   Geez C2 had a huge stack with audio engineer on the track.   Other corps I spotted with the really cool remote pad control.  All corps using them seem to have impressive sound systems, represents investment, and effort.  Some have double speaker set on each side.  No limits here folks.  On field and sideline mics for horns remains a big show attribute. Often featured.

Fusion – spectacular display of large color guard silks at end, full rainbow of color.  One drill set, probably inspired by Star Wars, of corps fading in like 3d perspective to backfield, for me breathtaking.  Lots of potential.  Some rebuilding.   Horn line blend great, very unified line.

Bucs – big brass sound lots of fun.   The pit is huge and talented.  Need to see then again and again.

C2 – best big brass sound of the night.  Perfect pyramid of sound, balance in 4 voices of horns.  And powerful.  Thought they took the show. This was sidelines view.

Cabs – Open brass set best of night.  Making you want more and more.  Rest of brass pieces often struggled.  Closer soloists very effective, very talented.  Needs to lock in.  But the stereo effect seemed quite unique, and appreciated.

Cabs Alumni – this is their home.  The 16 beat cadence alone, worth the price.

Loved all the corps.  All of these comments have other sides.  Only offered to spark discussion and to say yeah we are out here enjoying. 

• Thanks 1

I’m so excited about this website. I overheard a nice couple talking about it last night at the middle school.  

This seems to be protocol for the website so here’s my opinions 

Saints - wow....that much uniform detailing for what’s primarily a parade & exhibition corps. They played some drum corps classics. Maybe the music is a little hard? It’ll be great by the tim they get to London. 

Skyliners - great job getting on the field this season. I’d like to encourage that entire administration, design and teaching staff to be humble and listen to everyone for a few years. You will find your way again. Keep the horns up and take the jitters out of your m&m. My only “complaint” is with flags. If the music is loud, make it look loud. The modern dance portion will be great when it’s matched with the right mood  

Hurricanes - your recruitment worked. You will be a force to be reckoned with. Although it’s not my kinda show you guys chose something that works for you right now. Get it clean and you’ll be great at nationals. The new unis are great 

Sunrisers - the components are going to be great. You can see that they are talented.  There was an electronics issue. The members were able to work through it. This makes me think that they don’t practice with the electronics or they have these problems regularly.  The uniform top was connected to the design. This makes me think you’ll be changing them year after year. 

Bushwackers - Groovy show. Will everything make more sense once the props are painted? My spouse’s favorite part was the way the music weaved in and out of the numbers.  The m&m will get better once the members apply the performance standards. Even when you are behind something someone can see you.

Fusion - really entertaining! The guard really makes the corps look big. Almost like an old guy buying a sports car. Or a short guy being unnecessarily defensive.  The battery plays more than they need. Not sure why the brass is being covered up so much. One thing about the show you really missed is the chance to support girl power . Girls can be doctors and astronauts or anything and it would have been really cool to include that message in your show. The new unitume is cool! I don’t see the connection to the show yet.

Bucs - welp, what can you say? When you are marching so many dci ageouts, you can do that.  It was an experience!!

C2 - I overheard that this was the same show as a local hs band..... who cares. So good. Relatable. I think you can take the whole thing at nats.  The Drums were so well written!

Cabs - I’m sorry. I don’t get it. I wanted to. The people around me did as well. You play well, you march, flags are gonna be great! Let’s get the audience involved. If Fusion can get clean......look out!!!

howd I do? Be gentle  

Dr.B

• Like 2