Drums Along the Rockies - July 14, 2018

5 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Can they pay you as a consultant?!?! Because those additions to the show would be PERFECT. 

I don't think OC needs to worry about being a Semis lock at all. It's not my favorite show of their's, but it's CLEARLY a tier above Music City (who I adore this year), Genesis, Scades, Surf, etc. Genesis is scoring high now but I do believe their show design will catch up and their excellent playing & moving will only be able to take them so far. Will OC stay ahead of BDB & SCVC? Probably not this year. But I don't believe they'll be slipping all the way down to the mid-20s in placement. It's an absolutely fine show...really, it's fine. It's not like the design team has laid an egg. It's just not as out-and-out incredible of a design as I'm used to from the corps : ) 

I haven't seen Genesis or Music City yet, and know nothing about their shows, so hence the anxiety.  Perhaps seeing them on flo today will help.  BDB & VC nearly always edge OC in the semis in recent years - no surprise there.   And the amazing shows coming out of other top tier open class corps like Legends make semis VERY interesting come Indy week.  

As for design consulting.... nope my phone never rings.  I think I could design a fabulous show for the Couchmen!

• Like 1

Finally had time on a long flight to type up my thoughts on the show last night in Denver.  I posted this in the Review section, but from the looks of it, that section has really died.  Great show overall - surpassed my expectations entirely based on the lineup.  (I don't mean that in a negative way like I'm sure it's going to sound!  LOL)

Yesterday I got to start my Drum Corps season with one of my favorite shows – in absolutely my favorite venue for a show.  Mile High is the perfect venue for drum corps - a stellar stadium with great acoustics and always enthusiastic crowds.  Despite the warmer than usual weather and a lineup without only one top 6 corps it was a great night and I enjoyed nearly every performance.  As I’ve said many times, first viewings can be very tricky – I can’t count the number of times my initial impressions changed dramatically for shows by the time championships have come around.  I went into the show “cold” not having seen or heard any corps online this year even, and in many cases not even knowing programming or show themes ahead of time.  I had a great friend with me who has come to this show with me many times, and also another friend who was seeing their first ever show.

The Battalion – So great to see this new corps continue to grow and mature.  While the youthfulness of the corps is apparent in execution, they seem to be growing more confident and competent each year.  The horn line seems to be their strength so far – both in numbers and performance.  I’m excited to see where this corps goes – hopefully to ultimately include rising to the World Class Ranks in a few years.  Glad to see they are taking the correct approach with building a foundation and gradual growth

Cascades – Alright!  I really liked Cascades show.  The horn line is again large and continuing to mature year over year.  There is good solid demand in the book and the ensemble sound is a times very nice.  They show seems well-written to their age levels.  Both brass & percussion seem to be above the guard at this time.  There is some really nice use of rotating props with soloists on them that fit the theme of the show quite well.  Very enjoyable show – can’t wait to see where they take it.

Oregon Crusaders – While there are strong visual references to “The Shining” program theme (and a few tasty voice-overs that I hope they have licensing for) with the guard costumes, the horn line costumes, etc, this show just didn’t connect with me.  Yes, the music needs to be dark given the program, but there is very little that drew me into the show.  The book is clearly challenging and it seems as if they are still focused on the basic execution issues.  Hopefully the staff can help the members embrace and emote or communicate the show as the season progresses.  One cool thing I didn’t’ realize until the very end – there is a cool abstract likeness of Nicholson on the black side of the uniform jacket.  Either there was a change made right before the end, or I was just very slow to catch it.   This was the least favorite show – by far – for both myself and both of my friends.  At this point in the season it doesn’t come close to the quality of design or performance from that wonderful “Nevermore” show from a few season ago – I hope they get there!

Pacific Crest – I liked this show, but I also felt it’s missing something.  Perhaps part of it is tempos that are under where they could be in the first parts of the show?  The ideas are cute and well relayed, and as usual there is a very competent horn line with a nice ensemble sound.  The music is very melodic and recognizable.  It’s hard to put a finger on what’s missing for me at this point.  I will enjoy seeing it several more times, though!

Troopers – Whoa!  Yes, that’s a show that feels like World Class Drum Corps to me.  While my newbie friend was enjoying the show prior to Troopers a great deal – he was almost giddy with how much Troopers blew him away with their emotion, performance levels, music & visual books.  I leaned over and told him, welcome to what drum corps can do when they have that combination.  This is already my favorite Troopers show since Wild Horses.  It’s always a challenge for the design staff to capture the right direction for a show on a big Anniversary year with a traditional corps with a strong alumni base.  I thought Troopers absolutely nailed it with nods to tradition and nods to modern and current drum corps.  The music book was extremely enjoyable, and the corps has the makings of another strong brass line yet again.  On the downside, while I think their material could make a run to edge of top 12, they have a ton of cleaning to do visually, and the visual issues impact the music towards the last 3rd of the show.  Clean, Clean, Clean and build up endurance and this will be a much appreciated show in Indy.

Academy – Another corps I thoroughly enjoyed!  THIS feels like the show that should have followed their Drum Corpse Bride Top 12 breakthrough.  Mature, demanding and emotionally impactful design performed by what I think are easily their best guard and brass sections yet.  The Keating piece from the end of Dead Poets Society is very moving and makes me wonder what took so long for someone to pull it into a show.  While no expert, I think the percussion session has work to do to rise to the level of the guard.  I also really hope they cut down on the # of Oh Captain, My Captain vocals at the end of the show.   It almost feels like they are trying to recreate a “I am Spartacus” crowd engagement that is just not going to happen, as it doesn’t fit the beautiful, moving music like the adrenaline pump at the end of that show.  From costumes to music & visual book to already impressive performance levels, I’m excited to see where Academy takes this show.  An A-minus for early July – that’s fantastic!  My 2 friends loved Academy.

Blue Knights – Not the easiest year to go last at their home show after Vanguard sucked all the already thin oxygen out of mile high, but I was pleasantly surprised by BK & their show.  Great to hear the rich and powerful brass sound continuing after the brass caption change for sure.  Also, I loved that this show has more drill and more visual definition than last year.  The music book is enjoyable, and the ending is strong.  It will take another listen or two for me to decide just how much I like this arrangement of Rite of Spring, but it has it’s moments.  Also, they do a great job with props that they use different sides & colors to enhance different moods with quite well.  Cadets & Phantom better be careful or BK will once again knock people off – despite the fact that many absurdly count them out year after year.  Great organization here is not missing a beat.

Vanguard – Holy @$%@.  WOW.  Vanguard is on fire.  This is one hell of an intense, passionate, powerful show that is vintage Vanguard.  The hornline, drumline & guard are the best I’ve seen from Vanguard since 1999.  Searing music performed exceptionally well.  Both friends totally blown away.  This show seemed like it was over in 5 mins.  That good.  It’s also a bit of a blur, and I can’t wait to see it again.  So many layers, and done incredibly well.  The props are done in just a fantastic way.  The expansion, contraction and changes to them fit the show well and were done in a very seamless way (one first viewing).  The white unis look fantastic, and finally, a corps that demonstrated a great understanding of how to contract color with the guard, with the rich reds & orangs in the guard uni.  Such a great show on every level.  I never fully felt Vanguard last year was ready to grab the ring.  Not so this year.  My only quibble would be a lack of field coverage and drill at this point, but with current adjudication (ala Bluecoats 2016), that may or may not matter.  I wanted to see this show again moments after it was over.  Go Vanguard!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

OC could use some love, prayers, positive thoughts, whatever you do best.  On the way to the Denver show they had an accident.  The color guard bus rear ended the brass bus due to a sudden stop the entire fleet needed to make.  I don't know all the details but I know some performers were not in the show last night because of this accident.  There were minor injuries as well as shock reactions and at least one other corps stepped up after the show to assist in getting OC to their next housing site.  

I believe everyone is all right but I have to give them a big thumbs up for performing as if nothing happened last night!  I didn't know any of this until today.

Also, I have searched three times for the Oregon Crusaders 2018 thread and can't find it so I posted here.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

OC could use some love, prayers, positive thoughts, whatever you do best.  On the way to the Denver show they had an accident.  The color guard bus rear ended the brass bus due to a sudden stop the entire fleet needed to make.  I don't know all the details but I know some performers were not in the show last night because of this accident.  There were minor injuries as well as shock reactions and at least one other corps stepped up after the show to assist in getting OC to their next housing site.  

I believe everyone is all right but I have to give them a big thumbs up for performing as if nothing happened last night!  I didn't know any of this until today.

Also, I have searched three times for the Oregon Crusaders 2018 thread and can't find it so I posted here.

:100_pray:

5 hours ago, luv4corps said:

Yes, they are ok, and thanks to BK, got to Nebraska just fine.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, luv4corps said:

Yikes!  That surely impact their performance for those who went on as well.  Hopefully they all recover well and get back to growing and selling a show with incredible potential in the concept.  

On 7/15/2018 at 12:14 AM, NeutralNovice said:

No.  Then you don't hear the crisp click sound of the horn flipping.

...or the reprise of the ballad theme by one of the soloists...