Drums Along the Rockies - July 14, 2018

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Looks like Kristensen was not a fan of Academy's Percussion tonite. 90% of the spread between Blue Knights and Academy was Percussion.  1.3 point difference there alone.  Thats a LOT. Every other caption was a few tenths here and there between BK and Academy. Academy actually topped the Blue Knights on the Visual side, ie Visual Analysis and in Guard. 

Except you're ignoring that that score gets halved in the final total. BK got a 16.1 to Academy's 14.9--that's a 0.6-point contribution to the final overall score. A sizable amount of it, but nowhere close to all of the 1.55-point difference.

5 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Except you're ignoring that that score gets halved in the final total. BK got a 16.1 to Academy's 14.9--that's a 0.6-point contribution to the final overall score. A sizable amount of it, but nowhere close to all of the 1.55-point difference.

True.. that said, in the big picture, it must be concerning to BK to see them losing to Academy in Visual Analysis and Guard. Thats not where BK wants to be on the Visual side at the moment if they want to move up this season.

Edited by BRASSO

Always enjoy watching Drums even if on Flo and not live. The wife and I couldn’t make the 60th Alumni performance but it was so cool seeing so many amazing and familiar people:) Way to go Alum- I Go On!

Academy is stronger this year than they were when they made Finals a few years back- Great show, lots of fun.

Troop- Happy 60th- great show, modern and yet a throw back- great job- may be underscored at this point.

PC- Also doing so great things, to me a stronger corps this summer than we’ve seen in some years from Diamond Bar.

Cascades- Really neat to see a continued surge from a year ago... good things happening in the NW- enjoyed it.

Oregon Crusaders- Hmm... it’s a cool show idea with some great and creative visual moments. To me the music is a let down compared to the visual theme. Wish the ballad was scored or arranged a little different. The Uninvited portion is a neat idea, just not followed through enough.

SCV- My favorite SCV show since 99. Just a seamless design- musically just as brilliant as a year ago, but to me flows better and transitions with solists are just Wow.... Want it to win, think they will win!

BK- Man what a tough act to follow but BK more than held their ground.... The last 30-40 seconds needs the same type of confidence and performance quality as the first 3/4. Rite is so #### Rite On!! Great arrangement... BK and Bocook= Amazing Fit! Ballad and percussion feature oh my goodness- Wow. Visually this is a great written show and the members are starting to put it together... so many intricacies that are starting to pop but still need another level of cleanliness. This is a dark horse corps- They could really surge in the coming weeks and finish 7th or even shock a corps above, or if dirt persists could finish 8-9.... with a veteran smart and receptive corps I’d expect the former rather than the latter.

Great stuff, wish more corps were around for this one, but best Drum Corps Venue and Show period!!! Way to go DATR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beckham said:

If you're watching via browser just an FYI for when there are shows that do have those, they are native to the player and not the stream. Use uBlock Origin and it blocks those the same as it does Youtube ads. The ads from DCI for A/V and tickets are native to the stream and can't be blocked, but I imagine most of us don't mind those.

Thanks for the explanation Beckham. Unfortunately I am not very IT savvy. Never heard of "uBlock Origin"  What do you mean by "native to the player and not the stream"? 

5 minutes ago, CorpsRelic said:

Thanks for the explanation Beckham. Unfortunately I am not very IT savvy. Never heard of "uBlock Origin"  What do you mean by "native to the player and not the stream"? 

It's piped in by how the player in the browser plays the stream, rather than it being in the stream itself, so if you aren't watching it in a browser (e.g. with the Roku app) it doesn't show up.

3 hours ago, sssmello said:

Was it possible that they actually face the real world west? Either that or they’ve chosen that it’s always in reference to the football field ala left

posted from the DrumScorps app

Due west in Mile High Stadium would be toward the spectators and judges.

1 hour ago, Pizazzman said:

This is unrelated to the performances, but does anyone know what happened to the field? That grass always looks perfect or close to it and it looks like they had a bunch of it actually die. 

Chesney concert stage recently.

1 hour ago, CorpsRelic said:

It's a completely free ad-blocker that works really well, it is not controlled by a corporation looking to make a profit and it is open source, basically meaning that the code for the program is open for anyone to view to see that the developers are transparent about what it does. If you go to the settings in your browser, shouldn't matter which you use as uBO is available for pretty much everything, look for "extensions" or "add-ons" and search for uBlock Origin. (Not uBlock as it is a slightly different ad-blocker that doesn't work as well and isn't updated much.) Add/download it to your browser and it'll work it's magic. As I mentioned, it also gets rid of Youtube ads as well as soft paywalls on news websites. You can play around with it's settings if you want, but the default settings should not change your web browsing experience whatsoever except to remove pesky ads. 

And just an aside I highly recommend that anyone who uses Ad-Block+ or the like switch to uBO. ABP is not as effective and they automatically white-list (allow you to see the ads) of companies that pay them for the privilege. uBO on the other hand is open source and the developers refuse to accept any donations or payment as to maintain the integrity of the project.

To add on to what ftwdrummer said, think of it like if every time you turned your TV on it played an advertisement from the manufacturer that you had to watch first before continuing on to whatever you wanted to watch. That is like the ads native to the video player Flo uses. The ads that play during breaks in the show are like the ads we see from DCI that are native to the stream.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled drum corps discussion.

Edited by Beckham

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Looks like Kristensen was not a fan of Academy's Percussion tonite. 90% of the spread between Blue Knights and Academy was Percussion.  1.3 point difference there alone.  Thats a LOT. Every other caption was a few tenths here and there between BK and Academy. Academy actually topped the Blue Knights on the Visual side tonite, ie Visual Analysis and in Guard.

Based on what I saw of the 2 in the SoCal practices, lots and shows,  I would agree with AK about the spread (halfed or not). But, WATCH OUT FOR ACADEMY.   They impressed the heck of out me when I saw them practice in Temecula, the night before the Oceanside show.  Enough talent, great attitude,  really nice show.  I said it then and I say it again now.  This corps could make finals.  I think it all depends on how much Dakota can clean that snare line.  They were still a little dirty,  but have a uniformity of style across the snares that is really impressive.  Someone else said it and I agree.  I think this is a better Academy corps than the one that made finals.

As of now Academy is in 12th.  About .7 above Crossmen in 13th.  Mandarins are now less than a point out of 13th, with 4 weeks to go until finals.  I still think they may not make finals.  Their snare line is really suspect.  When we hit the shows with the big time drum judges (AK is one of them), we will see.  Remember the year Academy was in the top 12 in San Antonio and didn't make finals in Indy.  It could happen to Mandarins this year.

Edited by 27Socal