Alexandria, KY - July 14, 2018

4 hours ago, GEVisual said:

Just got home from the show.  My $.02 . . .

Bloo - so much fun to watch.  Much better live.  Kids are really starting to own the show and give it some personality.  Timing demands at opening of show (they are spread all over the field) are handled exquisitely.  Drums have cleaned up A TON.  Guard is solid, but the book at times seems to be less complex than others.  Unlike last year when it seemed to be a re-pasted of 2016, this show seems fresh.  Could see this winning it all, and don't expect to see them lower than 3rd.  

Crown - The brass line is just incredibly good.  Drums are solid and guard has improved quite a bit from what I saw in Orlando.  They are layering more body involvement to better portray the thematic material.  Not 100% sold on the GE yet.  A colleague of mine described the show as "a lot of notes for the sake of playing a lot of notes".  If they can find the emotional hook, it could contend for a medal.  I could also see this easily in 6th if it's not engaging.

Spirit - this is the most I've enjoyed Spirit in YEARS!  The whole concept makes sense and the show is loaded with variety.  They seem much more mature in performance this year all around.  Would imagine they will be in that Scouts/Colts/Academy dog fight.

Music City - This was good on video and is GREAT live.  Easy to understand, superbly detailed, and the kids are performing the snot out of it.  Crazy Train is a BLAST on the field.  Kudos to this organization.  This is a show I would want to see again.  And the upside is huge!

Surf - Pleasantly suprised.  Nice brass moments and a more sophisticated design this year.  Lots of dirt to clean, but nothing over their heads.   

The Bluecoats and Crown are amazing this year! I agree with your evaluation of both corps, but I think right now, The Bluecoats have the competitive edge both in design, visual execution and performance levels across the board.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Box5Opinion said:

The Bluecoats and Crown are amazing this year! I agree with your evaluation of both corps, but I think right now, The Bluecoats have the competitive edge both in design, visual execution and performance levels across the board.  

Not sure about the bold above seeing how they are losing brass and percussion most of the time to Crown. The real danger is in percussion where the could very easily be 6th tonight since everyone at this show in the top 6 (adding Cadets and subtracting SCV) has beaten them in percussion. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not sure about the bold above seeing how they are losing brass and percussion most of the time to Crown. The real danger is in percussion where the could very easily be 6th tonight since everyone at this show in the top 6 (adding Cadets and subtracting SCV) has beaten them in percussion. 

I was thinking it, but didn't say it. Lol.