DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

Anyone have rehearsal times/location for today in San Antonio? For anyone, really?

It's gonna be hot AF and I am debating whether I am going to make the trip to watch someone do a run through in the heat ... 

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, g0at said:

Anyone have rehearsal times/location for today in San Antonio? For anyone, really?

It's gonna be hot AF and I am debating whether I am going to make the trip to watch someone do a run through in the heat ... 

Thanks!

Cadets are at Alamo Stadium (this is not the same as the Alamo dome) and have ensemble from about 230-4 local time, prior to that visual and sectional rehearsals 

17 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I doubt both BD and SCV will finish lower than 3rd in a single subcaption come championships.

I think 99 is a stretch for anyone and I believe the judges learned a numbers management lesson in 2014.

I strongly disagree with that statement. SCV yes - BD seriously doubt it. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

On 7/16/2018 at 11:57 AM, DCI-86 said:

Do Blue Devils ever get a draw that doesn’t have them going on last ;-) 

Not sure that’s a favorable position as it use to be when compared to the corps going on before them. 

17 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I would agree with this, but by the time finals approaches I think BD will be the only corps giving them fierce competition. If Bluecoats get 4th or lower in percussion and guard during the final week, that will take them out of contention for top 2 right there. I doubt both BD and SCV will finish lower than 3rd in a single subcaption come championships.

I think 99 is a stretch for anyone and I believe the judges learned a numbers management lesson in 2014.

I agree. In 2014, if memory serves me correctly, it seemed as if most people agreed with the placements, though not with the scores, whether we are talking of over-scoring or under-scoring. While this is not uncommon, the changes in scoring that seem seemed to yield interesting scores.

Lets give FLO three cheers for a wonderful stream today. Thank them for braving the heat the other night being out there for all the corps. Understand they have the most difficult task in all of sports. No predictable plays to first base, no clues that it's a pass play and no ball to follow. Then task them with varying venues with little time for pre-production runs. I miss out on a lot sitting on the 50 live with everything going on at once, very difficult fitting this onto our big screens. Thank You FLO

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, blakman7 said:

Let us not forget 2013 when Carolina Crown won despite getting 6th in percussion. Anything is possible despite some missed targets in sub-captions. 

In 2013, the overall consensus was it was Crown’s title to win, and they had an iconic show where everything came together so well. Their 6th place in percussion was made up for in other captions. Fast forward to 2015 where after a victory at prelims and a semi’s victory, it looked as if there would be a finals victory too, but with a show that wasn’t their best, the 5th in percussion hurt a great deal. 

While I do believe Bloo could win a title, neither SCV or BD are giving anything away, so they need to keep this in mind as far as percussion is concerned. 

• Thanks 1

My predictions for today:

1. SCV

2. Bloo

3. BD

4. Crown

5. Cavies

6. BAC

7. Cadets

8. BK

9. Phantom

10. Blue Stars

11. Mandarins

12. Crossmen

13. Academy

14. Spirit

15. Madison

16. Colts

17. Troopers

18. PC

19. Music City

20. OC

21. Genesis

22. Cascades

23. Surf

24. Pioneer

10 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Lets give FLO three cheers for a wonderful stream today. Thank them for braving the heat the other night being out there for all the corps. Understand they have the most difficult task in all of sports. No predictable plays to first base, no clues that it's a pass play and no ball to follow. Then task them with varying venues with little time for pre-production runs. I miss out on a lot sitting on the 50 live with everything going on at once, very difficult fitting this onto our big screens. Thank You FLO

Yes -- FLO has a tough and unenviable task each season and I, too, thank them for providing this service.

But -- If I was a FLO Director at any of these shows, I'd spend every waking moment trying to "get inside" each of the shows so I'd know what shots I wanted to get and there'd be little risk of surprises. 

Think of it as having the box score and stats even before the game starts.