DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

7 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I do to but is marching even a good term anymore sounds like a "dinosaurs" term to me? Isn't it more of a performance, isn't that what the MMs are going for? With all the rolling around, head stands, belly flops and what nots. Your post is confusing and am wondering why you choose to poke at us dinosaurs when your acting like one yourself? See leave out the insults and your thoughts come across better, learned that the hard way. Thanks

If you were here long enough, you'd know the term "dinosaur" is nothing more than a term of endearment. As you said yourself, he's acting like a dinosaur because he is one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

it's 2018...many look at designers they love of 20 years ago, 10 years even a few years ago and seem to think they would do the same as back then. times  change style change, although those designers were great  why would they be doing the same. Look at Gaines, DO we really think the genius of  Zengali would be doing anything close to what he did then.. No

I know Gaines wrote SCV's drill this season. 

I have no idea if he had anything to do with the cages, or if he was just told "work with it". He's a paid contractor who gets told what to do and what you have to work around. 

But Gaines was good at a certain type of program. Just like Sactig isn't Sactig without The Cadets, Gaines isn't Gaines without the Cavs. 

I guess adapt or die, if that's part of your income source you don't have a choice.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's a really high score for sixth place at this event. Only one sixth-place corps in the past ten years has gotten a San Antonio score close to that, and that was in 2010, when DCI Southwestern was held over two days (SCV was second for that night and sixth overall with 87.60).

The record for highest sixth-place score at Finals has stood since 1989. Might it be broken this year?

For what it's worth, my guess now would be no, and also that BAC will overtake Cavs. Regardless, it will be fun to watch!

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

If you were here long enough, you'd know the term "dinosaur" is nothing more than a term of endearment. As you said yourself, he's acting like a dinosaur because he is one.

I'm only 36 and I didn't even discover drum corps until 1999. Watching the beginning of SCV's show that year was probably the coolest thing I'd ever seen in my otherwise boring childhood up until that point.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I know Gaines wrote SCV's drill this season. 

I have no idea if he had anything to do with the cages, or if he was just told "work with it". He's a paid contractor who gets told what to do and what you have to work around. 

But Gaines was good at a certain type of program. Just like Sactig isn't Sactig without The Cadets, Gaines isn't Gaines without the Cavs. 

I guess adapt or die, if that's part of your income source you don't have a choice.

Drill designers aren't just told work with something. They become part of the design process You can bet he was part of every process same with Jeff. A good program involves all in that process for it to work

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Just now, BoyWonder1911 said:

I'm only 36 and I didn't even discover drum corps until 1999. Watching the beginning of SCV's show that year was probably the coolest thing I'd ever seen in my otherwise boring childhood up until that point.

Apparently we're the same age (and I didn't discover drum corps until 1997).

• Like 1

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Drill designers aren't just told work with something. They become part of the design process You can bet he was part of every process same with Jeff.

I have a lot of respect for what drum corps put on nowadays. It seems more like a Broadway show (ala Bluecoats this year), and to me, they're relatively more enjoyable than when I marched. I love the great drill aspect that attracted me to drum corps in the first place, but I am more than happy with what drum corps do today.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, just_another_fanatic said:

Is this true or just speculation? Yes, I know during the standstill at Stanford the corps played their closer with those mello sustains. But did they remove it or are they saving it? 

They're SAVING IT...…….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wilme861 said:

I'm not a fan of it much at all. Then again, I'm in the minority here so keep doing what you're doing Blue.

Ditto. Finally saw what everyone was going on about in Katy and it seemed like the longest show of the night. When it was their time in the dome...bathroom break.