DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

47 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Zingali was with Star in 91 and then passed away - he was back and forth with Cadets from 87/88 and gone again (to Star and others) in 89

Sylvester wrote 90/91/92/93/94 - 90 and 92 were my personal favorites of those

Sacktig marched Cadets in 88 - then taught there - 98/00/07/11/15 were notables IMO

He first wrote the drill in 95 - assisting Marc in the few years prior

His last Cadets drill was 2015

Zingali did the 89' Les Miserables drill?

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Flo has some #### poor and rude customer service 

https://twitter.com/howtotoastbread/status/1018690482459701248?s=12

Wow!  Service with a smirk.  It may be advisable to be more patient with the customers who are paying money for your product, which seems to be still in the learning stages.  We are being as patient and lighthearted as we can be about some of the camera bloopers.  There’s even a drinking game! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Zingali did the 89' Les Miserables drill?

no he was at Star  - the 88/89 is a bit confusing as he briefly returned from what I recall . 87 Cadets; 88 helped Cadets briefly then Star; 89 Star-91 I believe

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wow!  Service with a smirk.  It may be advisable to be more patient with the customers who are paying money for your product, which seems to be still in the learning stages.  We are being as patient and lighthearted as we can be about some of the camera bloopers.  There’s even a drinking game! 

I'm in this business. He is too snarky (as is the twitter user / quite typical of twitter "feedback" imo - mostly brats) - however it is  advisable to take the high road and never engage the way the rep does

honestly I hate engagement  regarding customer service via twitter - they are taking their comment public prior to your first engagement with the customer - puts everyone on defensive out of the gate

twitter in general is just nasty and immature - the social/political discourse is extremely mob mentality w/ low information - same with customer issues

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I thought it was generally ok last night until BD, when for reasons unknown they switched to 80% extreme closeups of soloists, shot from belly button level. 

It was bizarre, like the high cam guy had to suddenly run to the can or something. 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I didn't use Dinosaur to be meant as an insult. Dinosaur is a blanket statement directed toward anyone who shows any resistance to change. 

But there is good change and bad change. Rolling around, head stands, belly flops, yeah I'm not sure what that all is, but it looks like it belongs in a gymnasium. 

The back flips in SCV show to me added nothing. I saw it as a gimmick. How did this add to what they were trying to say with their program? It didn't. All it did was give some people in the crowd an "omg look at that" moment. Typical of today's culture. Don't give me anything easy, just give me immediate instant gratification with cheap manufactured shallow stuff. Our society is growing exceedingly hedonistic and shallow, and I'm seeing it show up in this activity. Ok now I'm just getting grouchy. Time for bed.

Yes, you are grouchy boy wonder. The marching arts is just that...art! Art has to evolve and grow rather than remainin stagnant. What you are seeing in shows today is reflective of that growth. 

How much do you know about Babylon, Session 44, Or Unity? When you understand the story...the art makes more sense. Today’s audience doesn’t want to see an entire Corps march to a dot as they count 5,6,7,8. So yes, the performances have evolved. The singer with Bloo, costume changes with Cavies, and the Mandies giant spinning stage. 

And like the people around me, I was awed by that Corp member from SCV flipping down the field. A musician AND acrobat? Probably was never in your skill-set I’m guessing.

Well done and richly deserved for all the corps in San Antonio. From what I saw and read...the best Southwestern Regional in a long while! Can’t wait for Atlanta, Allentown and Indy! 

• Like 2

These scores have gotten higher every year at SA

1    Santa Clara Vanguard    92.325
2    Blue Devils    90.975
3    Bluecoats    90.675
4    Carolina Crown    90.088
5    The Cavaliers    88.412
6    Boston Crusaders    88.250
7    The Cadets    85.838
8    Blue Knights    84.200
9    Blue Stars    84.013
10    Phantom Regiment    83.725
11    Mandarins    82.175
12    Crossmen    80.850

2017 Scores
1    Blue Devils    90.100
2    Santa Clara Vanguard    89.625
3    Carolina Crown    89.175
4    Bluecoats    88.025
5    The Cavaliers    87.000
6    Boston Crusaders    85.625
7    The Cadets    84.975
8    Phantom Regiment    83.350
9    Blue Knights    82.525
10    Crossmen    80.250
11    Blue Stars    80.050
12    Mandarins    78.325

2016 Scores

1    Bluecoats    87.063
2    Carolina Crown    86.787
3    Blue Devils    86.350
4    Santa Clara Vanguard    84.375
5    The Cadets    83.438
6    The Cavaliers    83.188
7    Phantom Regiment    80.537
8    Blue Knights    80.000
9    Blue Stars    79.438
10    Crossmen    77.287
11    Madison Scouts    76.975
12    The Academy    75.525

2015 Scores
1    The Cadets    87.625
2    Blue Devils    87.300
3    Carolina Crown    86.200
4    Bluecoats    85.625
5    Santa Clara Vanguard    84.825
6    Blue Knights    81.900
7    The Cavaliers    81.825
8    Phantom Regiment    80.975
9    Madison Scouts    79.200
10    Boston Crusaders    77.725
11    Crossmen    77.425
12    Blue Stars    77.150

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think that may be a bit of an understatement. The ending of Ink caught many off guard, got a huge crowd response, and was a huge sentimental coup for a corps not usually known for its sentimentality. 

I totally agree the changes they put in were sentimental and made that show special. I’m just saying that those changes weren’t made in the last 30 seconds of the show.

Besides that, the point I’m making is new endings rarely affect a corps when it comes to the scores. For the fans, there are great new endings each year. I fully expect SCV to add another 10-15 seconds (not 30) on to their already powerful ending to make it even more powerful and crazy. But that change won’t make them all of a sudden jump up to a 3 pt lead or something even though it very well may have the fans out of their seats well before the end of the show. For the judges, it’s very few and far in between when a new ending pushes a corps up. BD in 2015 were within 0.1 pts of 1st during the last 2 weeks of the season (minus the penalty given on prelims). Yes the changes they made were great and, in my opinion, perfect for the show. I’m not taking that away from them but it wasn’t in the final minute of the show.

11 hours ago, Treefidy said:

SCV is missing 30 seconds of show still. Remember that...

Still don't think that when they add the 30 seconds it'll get them to 100.0000 by Finals Night though.. ( haha)

Edited by BRASSO