DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes. 

Remember 1979.  At this time in season Crossmen were in 6th, Troopers in 15th.  By final day of prelims (as they were called then) Crossmen were 10-12th, Troopers 13th.  Troopers went on and had the performance of their lives.  Crossmen's performance was rather flat.

Crossmen had beaten Troopers something like 8 times that season; Troopers beat Crossmen only once - When it counted.

Umm... not exactly correct. Crossmen did not have a flat performance. There was an interesting call by one judge that dropped then in a caption they never had an issue with all year. It was enough to cost the finals. Also the only year of the "associates championship" (those not making finals). The Crossmen score had them good enough for 8th on finals night in 1979. Anyone with the Crossmen at the time knows this fact.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We’re nuts.  Booked a hotel for next year today.    :laughing:

Excellent!  It'll be a party on the Riverwalk. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Umm... not exactly correct. Crossmen did not have a flat performance. There was an interesting call by one judge that dropped then in a caption they never had an issue with all year. It was enough to cost the finals. Also the only year of the "associates championship" (those not making finals). The Crossmen score had them good enough for 8th on finals night in 1979. Anyone with the Crossmen at the time knows this fact.

I watched the Crossmen 1979 prelims performance from the side of the field as they were on, I believe, immediately after the corps I marched in. I cannot speak to their horns and percussion (their brass scores were very good at prelims), but their marching performance was indeed not good that day. Now, there could be an argument that Trooper great,  Gene Monterastelli may have had a little too much spread between the two corps, both M&M judges that day had them 15th in execution. The 70s were a different time where a corps could pull a great show out on energy alone. The Troopers killed it and got rewarded for it. The same thing happened with the Guardsmen in 1976. 

Edited by mcjordansc

36 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

There was also the .4 penalty which did not help matters either.

Has anyone else noticed that we have now had 4 completely different winners of the Southwestern Championship over the past 4 years? Cadets, Bluecoats, BD and SCV. I find this very interesting, perhaps also a testament to how much more competitive the upper echelon has been compared to the past.

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I've always been under the impression that he helped over the winter and a couple times during that season but Marc was the lead writer... I know 90 was all Marc and Zingali was back FT at Star. He also wrote for Denver I believe those 3 years...

Zingali did 90 and 91 BK

• Like 1