DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

This colorguard is on FIRE

Literally? That's terrible!

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Precious Roy said:

Watch Naked and Afraid. They put mud on their face (and all over) to keep from getting sunburned and to try to keep the insects off.

Ah, I never thought of that. Thank you for the polite counter explanation as opposed to the personal attack I got from another individual. 

• Like 1

Why does that part need French Horns? They aren't playing in a good register and the timbre would better be served by concert euphoniums

• Thanks 1

This Blue Devils show is like taking an incredible cut of beef and covering it up with everything in the pantry.   

• Like 2

SCV may have the best mello line this year but good lord BD’s trumpets...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know we have moved on... But I'm trying to appreciate what it is that makes SCV so worthy right now...

It seems to me that the best thing they've got going on is that the members are 100% invested in the program.  All members are noticeably proficient in all aspects of what they are doing... And they are being asked to do some pretty high-brow stuff.

It's... like... an episode of "Tom and Jerry" that doesn't know that it isn't supposed to be serious.

They are just SO into it that it MUST be respected technically and aesthetically.

Really powerful dedication there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

They sound especially energetic tonight. Hopefully they can keep it going through the ballad

Yes thry do. Way better than last night...

BD is doing everything at top flight levels, but you know what, they've done these things before.  I mean not this exact show, etc. but the whole 'build a scene,"  Whip the hair, buzz an opener, swing a ballad, etc.   After seeing Bloo and SCV push design further on in two very different directions, it seems like BD is resting on it's excellence a bit design wise.  They could medal easy and possibly win with this, but it makes me want to have the design staff come out next year with a design that makes me say "what the hell, this entirely new."  

• Like 8