DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

I hate to break it to the commentators, but Music City, Spirit, Mandarins, BD, and PC lead in the fan favorite poll. The top three have an almost insurmountable lead over the rest of the field. Did they carry over votes from the last poll?  Or does someone have some automation going on?

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2018 at 8:08 PM, MikeN said:

I have to agree. I wish there was more “school” stuff, like a riff on a school song, daydreaming out a window, etc.  Seems like there a lot of really simple and clear settings that could have been done within the concept.

Mike

If there were ever a year for a corps to do the complete, uninterrupted Brahms Academic Festival Overture, this years' Academy was it.  

Regret that their version left me flat.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Was Drum Corpse Bride lightning in a bottle? Idk, Academy has great concepts but none have really captured me like that show did

Storytelling vs concept IMO.  The story was well told with music you can connect with compared to concept that has a faint story to it.  One thing Bluecoats do well is say here is our concept and we are going to make sure you get concept.  Bd always has a very detailed meaning and reason for what they do.  Take this years show which they gave a 10 minute story to a painting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

If there were ever a year for a corps to do the complete, uninterrupted Brahms Academic Festival Overture, this year's Academy was it.  

Regret that their version left me flat.

I think the show needs to be more whimsical.  More playful.  They’re doing math on a board.  I was told there would be no math. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

OMG I am not going on the concourse again for the rest of the evening. It’s a madhouse down there! Wall to wall people. 

Funny enough, Guardians peeps are EVERYWHERE!

:)

Mike

Agreed. As always the Alamodome is woefully unprepared for this event. I was in line for 20 minutes and I was in the first 30 people there. The folks behind me will be lucky to get back for scores at this point. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

jeeze. I think rather than waiting until the end, I'll start uploading them as I go this time...

Hey Zach, you're saving these to drop box?

posted from the DrumScorps app