Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

As one who has done work in movies and TV, it's not just gender. Casting calls often specify gender, race, and (my favorite) age. All perfectly legal. 

Yeah, the show I worked on, Barney, was pretty constrained on that last one, obviously.

51 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Yeah, the show I worked on, Barney, was pretty constrained on that last one, obviously.

It can get worse -- some productions (mostly indy films) have a limited budget for costumes, so unless you can fit into what they have on hand, you're outta luck.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bsader said:

I wasn't aware of this. Are you aware that the Cavaliers Drum an Bugle Corps continues to practice gender discrimination? 

Hey, 1984 called....

Use of hackneyed newspeak. Unnecessarily divisive.

15 yard penalty. Repeat 3rd down.

Edited by GiveMeLibertyorGiveMeDebt

A couple of weeks ago I woke up and realized I no longer identified as a homosapien, but as a giraffe. This was a revelation, and to put my new inter-species identity to work I attended a casting call for a nature film being shot locally.

I arrived at the appointed place and time, and when it became my turn I approached the desk. I was introduced to the assistant casting director, who gave me a quizzical look.

”May we help you?”

”Yes, I’m here for the casting call for your nature picture ‘Predators on the Prairie’. The ad in the paper said you were seeking giraffes. I’d like to try out.”

”Umm...well, you don’t exactly look like a giraffe...”

”Yes, but I *identify* as one. The rest you can fix with makeup or CGI.”

“You also have opposable thumbs. Giraffes don’t.”

I got kind of frustrated. Couldn’t they see...? So I said,  “I can wear gloves.”

“Can you reach the succulent leaves found at the tops of trees without leaving the ground? Because that’s what the script calls for.”

”Nooo....”

”I’m sorry, but that is essential for the role. Thanks for coming...NEXT!!”

As I turned to leave I accidentally bumped into an actual giraffe and said, “Oops, excuse me.” I left the casting call feeling utterly deflated and humiliated. A myriad of questions ran through my mind: who could I blame? Could I sue? I sat and stewed; surely there were others I could make feel miserable.

A few days later I woke up and realized I identified as being a homosapien again, and that my rejection at the hands of the casting director didn’t bother me any more. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

A couple of weeks ago I woke up and realized I no longer identified as a homosapien, but as a giraffe. This was a revelation, and to put my new inter-species identity to work I attended a casting call for a nature film being shot locally.

I arrived at the appointed place and time, and when it became my turn I approached the desk. I was introduced to the assistant casting director, who gave me a quizzical look.

”May we help you?”

”Yes, I’m here for the casting call for your nature picture ‘Predators on the Prairie’. The ad in the paper said you were seeking giraffes. I’d like to try out.”

I got kind of frustrated. Couldn’t they see...? So I said,  “I can wear gloves.”

“Can you reach the succulent leaves found at the tops of trees without leaving the ground? Because that’s what the script calls for.”

”Nooo....”

As I turned to leave I accidentally bumped into an actual giraffe and said, “Oops, excuse me.” I left the casting call feeling utterly deflated and humiliated. A myriad of questions ran through my mind: who could I blame? Could I sue? I sat and stewed; surely there were others I could make feel miserable.

A few days later I woke up and realized I identified as being a homosapien again, and that my rejection at the hands of the casting director didn’t bother me any more. 

Ask yourself this. Why are so many working so hard to justify keeping young women out of the Cavaliers. It's not a big deal....their just women...they don't have cooties. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bsader said:

Ask yourself this. Why are so many working so hard to justify keeping young women out of the Cavaliers. It's not a big deal....their just women...they don't have cooties. 

I don’t understand why sororities work so hard to justify keeping young men out. They’re just men, they don’t have cooties

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I don’t understand why sororities work so hard to justify keeping young men out. They’re just men, they don’t have cooties

In fairness, sororities and fraternities are also antiquated relics of a bygone era.

Cavies should allow women, as should Madison. It's 2018.

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I am a man. Many of us DO have cooties.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Bsader said:

Because everyone's a victim these days.

Crown has a female-only brass feature this year....should the male victims, who were barred from this ensemble, cry foul?

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

”May we help you?”

”Nooo....”

You really stuck your neck out on that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1