Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

25 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

As expected. Especially in Oklahoma. 

Never thought I’d say this, but hopefully Texas will be more “liberal” and accepting. Hope they realize it’s all in jest. 

But it is not all in jest. Cavaliers are quite knowingly engaged in social commentary. This kind of satire will inevitably rub some the wrong way and as such, I find it rather daring of the Cavies. They are willing to challenge and even alienate some in the audience in order to express a particular point of view.  This is the nature of art, and one of the reasons I admire Cavies so much, regardless of their placement. 

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

As expected. Especially in Oklahoma. 

Never thought I’d say this, but hopefully Texas will be more “liberal” and accepting. Hope they realize it’s all in jest. 

Well you know what they say about Texas....

Image result for full metal jacket steers

2 hours ago, boxingfred said:

It did not go over well, there were groans and mumbles in my section. One father said to his son, You'll never march with that band.

A couple of thoughts.
1. It's a shame that a father would say that to his son, as if when his son turns 18 he could stop him if he wanted to. 
2. It takes a lot to "march with that band". A lot of sweat and blood. One would think that someone sitting at a corps show would recognize that. 
3. This is America. There are shows I prefer over others and we all have the right to express our opinion. I'm just glad I never pushed my opinion on my own son, who is now finishing his second season with "that band". I wanted him to try out for Spirit of Atlanta and Carolina Crown. Instead he auditioned for Bluecoats and Cavaliers. But somehow, i don't feel this father's comments really had much to do with the show. It's clearly a problem with "that band". 

Hope everyone has a nice day. Getting ready to head out to San Antonio this weekend to volunteer for a week with "that band" that this self-righteous father finds beneath the dignity of his son. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

No.  He’s just being obtuse.  

I'm picturing Andy Dufresne talking with the warden in Shawshank Redemption. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Could be they had a great run, but BD had an even better run with more upside. Could be that BD was less clean a week ago. There are many angles. 

Could also have to do with the fact that the two times Cavaliers beat BD in percussion (which was only by one or two tenths) were both judged by Glen Fugett, and all the other times when BD beat them in percussion were evaluated by different judges. Just looks like Fugett likes what Cavies are doing a little more. Seems the more consistent result is BD beating them in percussion. 

• Like 1

Funny how we're all so tolerant.....of views we personally agree with. Also funny how we can't see that character flaw. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quietcity said:

They are willing to challenge and even alienate some in the audience in order to express a particular point of view.  

What is the particular point of view you feel is being expressed by the Cavaliers closer?