Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

28 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

To me this closer is witty and fun. Men read fashion magazines. Men shop. Some wear make up. We cry. A time not to long ago these things were not considered “manly”. Hell...being in “band” was not considered manly. To me this closer makes fun of the modern day man.

Exactly. It is self-satire in the same vein of their total skewering of all things "men" in last year's show. They've become masters at popping their faux aura of seriousness and their shows have become exponentially more fun in the process. This year, I also think it works into the overall concept, where there is a journey from very bound, constricted lack of creativity to full expression. And when you get full expression, there will always be a peanut gallery who labels you "freaks" or having gone "too far." 

They are laughing at all that and I find it very clever. It's my favorite part of the show.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

His daughter has the opportunity to march with 22 other World Class corps. No one is taking anything away from anyone’s daughter. And I’m pretty sure that man was not worried about his daughters equality, but more his sons masculinity.

It’s interesting to me that so many are upset about this but do we see coed nfl teams? What about the nba? I’m sure there are plenty softball players that can hit a baseball, why not in the mlb? 

I could go on and on about roles/organizations/concepts in society that have gender double standards that are deemed as acceptable. Both for and against men as well as women.

I'm not sure who the "so many are upset" are re the gender-based policy, as I have not really seen any of that on this thread.  Perhaps you refer to other experiences.  I'm certainly not upset in any case and have, in the past, defended their right to set their own rules.

My purpose was not to negatively judge the Cavaliers organization, but to point out the hypocrisy of those posters saying what a travesty it would be if his son is not allowed to march with Cavaliers.  As you say, there are 22 other World Class corps.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yes... But this isn't really like last year.

How? Last year, undefeated, met SCV, now #2, then met BD, now #3.

This year, undefeated, met BD, now #2, then met SCV, now #3.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

A couple of thoughts.
1. It's a shame that a father would say that to his son, as if when his son turns 18 he could stop him if he wanted to. 
2. It takes a lot to "march with that band". A lot of sweat and blood. One would think that someone sitting at a corps show would recognize that. 
3. This is America. There are shows I prefer over others and we all have the right to express our opinion. I'm just glad I never pushed my opinion on my own son, who is now finishing his second season with "that band". I wanted him to try out for Spirit of Atlanta and Carolina Crown. Instead he auditioned for Bluecoats and Cavaliers. But somehow, i don't feel this father's comments really had much to do with the show. It's clearly a problem with "that band". 

Hope everyone has a nice day. Getting ready to head out to San Antonio this weekend to volunteer for a week with "that band" that this self-righteous father finds beneath the dignity of his son. 

I agree with much of what you said, and I think it's great you are volunteering to help "that band." However, whether a father could stop a child over 18 from marching: legally, no question. However, if the child is not the one paying the bill, and as folks who claim drum corps is an activity for rich kids only will quickly point out,  this is often the case, there could be some leverage if a parent refuses to pay the bill. 

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I agree with much of what you said, and I think it's great you are volunteering to help "that band." However, whether a father could stop a child over 18 from marching: legally, no question. However, if the child is not the one paying the bill, and as folks who claim drum corps is an activity for rich kids only will quickly point out,  this is often the case, there could be some leverage if a parent refuses to pay the bill. 

True...my son spent his last year in DCA working 65 hours per week for a kitchen/bath remodeler the summer PRIOR to his first season ( 2017). When he turned 18, he was fully capable of paying to march anywhere. So I guess I'm operating on my own frame of reference. Once he proved to me that he could stick out a season with the Cavaliers last year, I went halfsies for the 2018 season this year. But if I hadn't, I can guarantee he would have "found a way" to raise his fees.  

I just read the comment the father made to his son as a value judgment of those that march in "that band"...this too shall pass. Won't be the first time, and won't be the last. 

• Like 2

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

True...my son spent his last year in DCA working 65 hours per week for a kitchen/bath remodeler the summer PRIOR to his first season ( 2017). When he turned 18, he was fully capable of paying to march anywhere. So I guess I'm operating on my own frame of reference. Once he proved to me that he could stick out a season with the Cavaliers last year, I went halfsies for the 2018 season this year. But if I hadn't, I can guarantee he would have "found a way" to raise his fees.  

I just read the comment the father made to his son as a value judgment of those that march in "that band"...this too shall pass. Won't be the first time, and won't be the last. 

Well, my guess is your son will learn valuable lessons from a Dad who paid half his fees and is volunteering with "that band."

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

Well, my guess is your son will learn valuable lessons from a Dad who paid half his fees and is volunteering with "that band."

I would hope so...he's a great kid. And as a Music Education Major, I now view his fees as "tuition" because he's gaining invaluable experience on his desired path to be a Band Director/Corps Instructor. If he chooses to march a 3rd season, I will pay all of his fees. And as a parent, I couldn't be happier with the Cavaliers Staff and the class with which the organization is run. What I never tell him is that I consider my volunteering time driving for the corps as "vacation"...I get to see San Antonio, Mesquite, Little Rock, Murfressboro, and Atlanta this year for the price of a little late-night driving. Which means I'm seeing all these fine corps running into Atlanta and upping their game. I'm pretty much like a kid in a candy store for that week. If I had the flexibility, I'd drive all the way through to Indy. But there's some economic realities to that.... :-) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bsader said:

Vincible Ignorance-A lack of knowledge for which a person is morally responsible. I am not going to allow myself to believe that, though the Cavaliers are making a legitimate statement at the end of their show, that they are not, at the same time, being blatantly hypocritical in their continued refusal to not allow young woman into their Corps. Please forgive me if I am wrong but this is the case isn't it? That the Cavaliers do not allow young woman into their Corps? I believe that little fact does detract somewhat from their ending "statement" in this years show. So the question is....exactly who are the ones who are being closed minded? Their certainly are a lot of closed minded people in this world! Their are also many people who pride themselves in being open minded who are, in fact, not being as open minded as they would like to think that they are. It is amazing what the human mind can choose to ignore and what it chooses to believe when it comes down to what it believes could be a threat to their self or at least a threat to their continued acceptance into their community which, in this case, is that small world we refer to as Drum and Bugle Corps. I marched in a corps back in the '70's and we were criticized for not allowing young woman into our Brass and Percussion sections and rightly so! Our young Women were criticized for not allowing young men into our Color Guard and, again, rightly so!

I am sure that I will be criticized for bringing up a topic that has already been debated ad nauseum but I believe that the "statement" being made at the end of the Cavaliers show requires a bit more nausea. Shouldn't they be the ones who are criticized for making us sick? Sick and tired and defensive and hypocritical....or am I just being closed minded. I'll answer my own question....absolutely not. I'm just exposing an inconvenient truth. So my question to you is....do you believe in global warming? 

Read your post and knew you were going to be...well let's say heavily debated.

My thoughts the whole season have been- it's great for the Cavaliers to put a pro LGBT message at the end of their show...but they are still being exclusive by not allowing many members of the LGBT community to join. It's contradictory to me and I will just leave it at that.

I don't want to debate about whether they should allow females to be part of the organization. It's beating a dead horse. I think they should be allowed to do whatever they want in regards to exclusion criterion for membership anyway.

1 hour ago, NakedEye said:

Exactly. It is self-satire in the same vein of their total skewering of all things "men" in last year's show. They've become masters at popping their faux aura of seriousness and their shows have become exponentially more fun in the process. This year, I also think it works into the overall concept, where there is a journey from very bound, constricted lack of creativity to full expression. And when you get full expression, there will always be a peanut gallery who labels you "freaks" or having gone "too far." 

They are laughing at all that and I find it very clever. It's my favorite part of the show.

Absolutely!  And they managed to do it while finding a song that already had worked Bolero into it.  Win-win.  :thumbs-up:

Mike

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ediker said:

Cavies didn’t steal anything last year. The door was wide open for either of them to snag 4th. 

Exactly. That wasn't such a surprise if one was paying attention to the scores between the two coming into finals.

• Like 1