Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

46 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Read your post and knew you were going to be...well let's say heavily debated.

My thoughts the whole season have been- it's great for the Cavaliers to put a pro LGBT message at the end of their show...but they are still being exclusive by not allowing many members of the LGBT community to join. It's contradictory to me and I will just leave it at that.

I don't want to debate about whether they should allow females to be part of the organization. It's beating a dead horse. I think they should be allowed to do whatever they want in regards to exclusion criterion for membership anyway.

Putting the allowing females aside because I agree with you there BUT where do you get this from? ( highlighted area)

48 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Read your post and knew you were going to be...well let's say heavily debated.

My thoughts the whole season have been- it's great for the Cavaliers to put a pro LGBT message at the end of their show...but they are still being exclusive by not allowing many members of the LGBT community to join. It's contradictory to me and I will just leave it at that.

What?  How do you know this?  

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

True...my son spent his last year in DCA working 65 hours per week for a kitchen/bath remodeler the summer PRIOR to his first season ( 2017). When he turned 18, he was fully capable of paying to march anywhere. So I guess I'm operating on my own frame of reference. Once he proved to me that he could stick out a season with the Cavaliers last year, I went halfsies for the 2018 season this year. But if I hadn't, I can guarantee he would have "found a way" to raise his fees.  

I just read the comment the father made to his son as a value judgment of those that march in "that band"...this too shall pass. Won't be the first time, and won't be the last. 

Did I read this right?  Your son, while under the age of 18, was working 65 hour weeks?  I gotta go look at the labor laws again. 

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Did I read this right?  Your son, while under the age of 18, was working 65 hour weeks?  I gotta go look at the labor laws again. 

You read that exactly right...7a-8p  Monday through Friday. Only exceptions were Fridays when he had Atlanta CV weekend camps and he would knock off around 3. Paid as a 1099 contractor...also had to explain the whole notion of "taxes" to him. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bsader said:

So my question to you is....do you believe in global warming? 

No our route around the sun is elliptical and our brilliant politicians want to monetize a natural occurrence, while dumbing us down with the fluoride in our water. The Cavies have avoided the fluoride and have been the best at drawing out social issues period. Their brilliant show designs from as far back as I can remember have you thinking about their message year round.  How refreshing is it to see our Cavalier youth display their brilliance in a art form. Quite frankly they get it and I am very proud of these guys. From the secret society show to propaganda the planets, the Borg what haven't they covered. Most adults today are not as bright as these guys and it sure shows up here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, boxingfred said:

It did not go over well, there were groans and mumbles in my section. One father said to his son, You'll never march with that band.

Sad state of affairs in that part of the country :sad:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Because an organization with 70 years of history and successes (and continues to be successful) as an all male organization chooses to not allow women in their corps does not make them sexist.

Debateable, of course.. and it depends upon one's perspective I would imagine.  A compelling case can certainly be made that the Cavaliers are not " sexist ", imo. ( and perhaps by others, that perhaps they are too )  Can we all at least agree that the Cavaliers are not gender inclusive at the moment anyway ? And thats why the Cavaliers choosing to be so overtly political/ social commentary with their closer, naturally invites political/ social commentary that cuts both way, it seems to me.  It makes some people uncomfortable with this social/ political messaging. But likewise, invites the natural scrutiny of a Corps engaging in the attempt at social commentary, that ironically is nowhere near as gender inclusive as almost all H.S./ College Marching Bands are, and in which most all amateur 14-22 age  youth sports teams are, that do not exclude participants by gender. If this makes the Cavaliers Corps " uncomfortable ", in any way with the reaction they receive with this from some , then its an " uncomfortable " situation all around, I guess we'd have to conclude at the moment. I can enjoy the Cavaliers show well, and without the overtly political. But their doing so seems fine too, imo as it does ask us all... Cavaliers Drum Corps included...  as to where we stand on gender equality and gender inclusivity in actions and deeds,  and not in mere words, music, or flag wavings.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You'll never march with that band.

Tell me about it our son in 93 was ready to join a corps, having been at shows since he was 3 picked Dutch Boy because of the color guard. I was stuck driving a bunch of kids to Canada once or twice a month. I would have never said never to any corps he selected but the wife did not appreciate his reasoning.

32 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

What?  How do you know this?  

I would assume he’s referring to lesbians and bisexuals (of the female variety) who are a part of the LGBT community that he’s referring to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Debatable, of course.. and it depends upon one's perspective I would imagine

It is one thing to join an organization and become part of it's philosophy. That is not the track record that other organizations have experienced when they bent their by laws to become more inclusive. Enough said.

Edited by Bluzes
typo