Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

8 hours ago, Bsader said:

Are you aware that the Cavaliers Drum an Bugle Corps continues to practice gender discrimination? 

They just need to keep practicing and I think they will win.  Their nearest competition, the Madison Scouts, have a major design flaw this year.

23 minutes ago, skevinp said:

They just need to keep practicing and I think they will win.  Their nearest competition, the Madison Scouts, have a major design flaw this year.

They will at least finish above Madison Scouts.  It will be tougher the "win" if they do not start scoring higher than any of the 4 above them.  Have they ever scored higher that BC, BD, SCV or CC in an event this year?

6 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

They will at least finish above Madison Scouts.  It will be tougher the "win" if they do not start scoring higher than any of the 4 above them.  Have they ever scored higher that BC, BD, SCV or CC in an event this year?

In the "practice" of gender discrimination they have...skevinp was referring to the Cavies' "practice" of gender discrimination and that, so far, they've "beaten" the Scouts this season in that regard...and would "win" since no other corps is "practicing"...

Edited by gak27
further verbiage

The Cavaliers do discriminate on gender.  Most drumcorps discriminate on gender.  In the guard, specifically, there is often a rough quota of male/female slots that may be determined by the necessary roles needed to convey a design theme.  All theatrical and screen plays discriminate on gender.

But with all due respect to identity politics... not all discrimination is immoral and certainly not illegal.  The very prerequisite that the Cavaliers are a male organization means that no female could apply to be discriminated against.  That distinction being made known by this private organization is no different than a casting call that defines a need for particular gender.

They can't be sued for this.

It's fine to hate this truth... But I'm not sure that hating this is much different than hating broccoli.

One last point on the broader topic.  The Cavaliers do not specifically prevent women from winning, even when they win, any more that a coed corps prevents particular women from winning in a 2nd place organization.  The very entry into a competition that is coed, for a spot or for a title, means that either a man or a woman will achieve over the other based on merit.  When the Cavaliers win... It is their design and merit that enable the win, not their gender.

And we are now way off topic for this thread.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

The Cavaliers do discriminate on gender.  Most drumcorps discriminate on gender.  In the guard, specifically, there is often a rough quota of male/female slots that may be determined by the necessary roles needed to convey a design theme.  All theatrical and screen plays discriminate on gender.

But with all due respect to identity politics... not all discrimination is immoral and certainly not illegal.  The very prerequisite that the Cavaliers are a male organization means that no female could apply to be discriminated against.  That distinction being made known by this private organization is no different than a casting call that defines a need for particular gender.

It's fine to hate this truth... But I'm not sure that hating this is much different than hating broccoli.

One last point on the broader topic.  The Cavaliers do not specifically prevent women from winning, even when they win, any more that a coed corps prevents particular women from winning in a 2nd place organization.  The very entry into a competition that is coed, for a spot or for a title, means that either a man or a woman will achieve over the other based on merit.  When the Cavaliers win... It is their design and merit that enable the win, not their gender.

Is this CNN? This is similar to the nonsense they discuss!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gak27 said:

In the "practice" of gender discrimination they have...skevinp was referring to the Cavies' "practice" of gender discrimination and that, so far, they've "beaten" the Scouts this season in that regard...and would "win" since no other corps is "practicing"...

Sorry I missed that.  Just not looking for social commentary on DCP.  When I see the phrase "... keep practicing and I think they will win".  I just assume (bad idea I know) that they are talking about the corps practicing their music and moves so that they might do better than they are doing currently.  And, I must say, that's what we should be discussing here, IMHO.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Probably the best post in this thread. I’m as progressive as they come, but the Cavies are not practicing gender discrimination any more than a sorority is. To believe otherwise is to feel outraged for the sake of feeling outraged. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dans said:

Is this CNN? This is similar to the nonsense they discuss!

It sure feels like it.

Sorry for my part in prolonging the silliness.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

As one who has done work in movies and TV, it's not just gender. Casting calls often specify gender, race, and (my favorite) age. All perfectly legal. 

• Thanks 1