How do the judges form this Borg Collective, a singularity of thought all season?

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you do realize that every corps plans for the end of season venue, Lucas Oil Stadium, in Indianapolis, which is a large.

Yes I do understand that and am glad for the MM to have such a venue and us fans as well. I like seeing them in large and small venues and come away with different reactions sometimes a for lack of a better term a large venue corps falls flat in a smaller venue not that the performance is off but the fans were not able to get the full affect of the performance. In the Olathe program booklet there was a short narrative on judging. It said the judges judge in a vacuum past performances this year and or in the past is not a consideration then the scores are announced that seem to contradict that statement. Would it hurt to reward the corps who had a better visual and was appreciated more that night since none of the small venue scores madder anyway?

Edited by Bluzes
typo

10 hours ago, TRacer said:

Think about it: this is a chance in some small way to help a performer do ______ just THAT MUCH BETTER next time, and then when all those ”that much better next times” are added up and multiplied by the number of performers....what a payoff. I’d like to think other judges see it this way too. 

19 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Can we leave politics out of DCP?

Yes, thank you.  That's the last kind of thing we want causing off topic fights and division. We need to focus on our common interests, like bashing each other's drum corps.  

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

Yes, thank you.  That's the last kind of thing we want causing off topic fights and division

Exactly will do but I am on the one that posted the propaganda.

13 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

dont feel bad most dont stay for encores anymore

Finals encore are for the kids to relish in their accomplishment and they deserve every minute of it. How great would it have been to have a horn cam to document something you may never experience again back in the day. Remember 84 Cadets went all year without a warm up but warmed up for the encore we were so happy for them as we are for any corps that finds a way to win but some are special.

39 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Finals encore are for the kids to relish in their accomplishment and they deserve every minute of it. How great would it have been to have a horn cam to document something you may never experience again back in the day. Remember 84 Cadets went all year without a warm up but warmed up for the encore we were so happy for them as we are for any corps that finds a way to win but some are special.

84 to now is quite different

Yes but I didn't catch on till Bluecoats won the fun they had with the encore was different. Then being in the first row the staff ragging at the crowd to clap when we were already ecstatic and all clapped out. Guess everyone was caught up in the moment. Thanks these are great memories for me. 

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Yes but I didn't catch on till Bluecoats won the fun they had with the encore was different. Then being in the first row the staff ragging at the crowd to clap when we were already ecstatic and all clapped out. Guess everyone was caught up in the moment. Thanks these are great memories for me. 

enjoy while they last...bluecoats do enjoy..glad u have too

3 hours ago, kkrepps said:

Yes, thank you.  That's the last kind of thing we want causing off topic fights and division. We need to focus on our common interests, like bashing each other's drum corps.  

Well guess we’re worn out from bashing on G/Bb, amps, vocals, other instruments, etc so back to olde reliable lol

• Haha 1

It took me a couple of really serious DCI seasons to come to some terms about DCI scoring. It's a unique scoring system with very unique goals and parameters. You can wrongly look at every show's score in a vaccuum (which we all do) and and draw conclusions. But the reality of the system is that the goal is to get the very last rankings correct. You cannot compare scores from one season to the next, or even at some level one show to the next—except that DCI judges are working under terms that require them to make sure the corps land in the "right" order at the end of the season.

Given that the max score is 100, this means that starting and ending scores are almost solely the product of judges trying, as a group, to make sure things end where the should.

Unfortunately there are unintended consequences of this. One is that it is functionally impossible for a corps to climb much during the season. Every night you start where you were before. Shows do not ever stand on their own merit. Given that scores start in the 60s and 70s—as opposed to zero—and the season only lasts two or so months, the very general rankings of corps are already largely set on Day 1.

You can call that collusion or lack of fairness, but it's the system DCI has adopted.

• Thanks 1