Layering?

55 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I often read that corps are 'layering' or that the 'layering' is very good in a show. Can someone more current or knowledgeable in the activity please explain and cite examples?

It’s a buzzword - nothing more nothing less. Use to be called making changes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always viewed it like adding layers to a cake. Much of the natural effort at the start of a season is spent on forming the foundation of that cake, or as others have put it "the bones" of the show. There is huge potential leverage to adding layers of new, complementary changes on top of that foundation (aka "cake") -- whether it be additional guard work, change in dynamics and voicing, etc.

Though I've never actually heard the word used as much in the past as I have the last two seasons.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 1

Beginning of season - Heres a prop

Middle of the season - we move prop and it looks nice

End of Season - The prop is used to tell the whole story and now the concept is clear.

It adds dimesions to what you are doing and answers the what and the why.  How many groups come out with the end of the show you see at finals? Id be shocked if there still is one but what they do is take the placeholder and turn it into a new event.  When I designed my show last year we had deadlines of adding in effects such as first show is just perform and play, next show add in emotions, next show add in the props, and final show add in the black makeup to resemble everyone dying. 

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

Beginning of season - Heres a prop

Middle of the season - we move prop and it looks nice

End of Season - The prop is used to tell the whole story and now the concept is clear.

It adds dimesions to what you are doing and answers the what and the why.  How many groups come out with the end of the show you see at finals? Id be shocked if there still is one but what they do is take the placeholder and turn it into a new event.  When I designed my show last year we had deadlines of adding in effects such as first show is just perform and play, next show add in emotions, next show add in the props, and final show add in the black makeup to resemble everyone dying. 

I think Crown's beast-o-whirl will be an example of this by season's end.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

It’s a buzzword - nothing more nothing less. Use to be called making changes. 

Yes.. but.... it seems to fit because...... well...

Image result for fancy words... gif

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

My take on it:

It's really mostly a buzzword to make yourself feel better that your corps of choice is going to be making additions to a show that makes them more competitive. 

I think it really just refers to the fact that some shows change a lot over the course of a season (Crown and BD 2015) while others change very little (Bluecoats 2016, 2017). A layer is just a weird way of saying that something in a show didn't make much sense and so a certain visual change or addition of narration, guard characters, etc added clarity. Or a certain musical phrase lacked complexity in dynamics or texture or proper resolution and it was added in later on over the course of a season. 

This. I agree. Whenver anyone says "layering" I'm like "whatever." Every corps is making their program better over the course of the season, every corps is changing and adding things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

I often read that corps are 'layering' or that the 'layering' is very good in a show. Can someone more current or knowledgeable in the activity please explain and cite examples?

Sandbagging. Thou shalt never have your true last minute of drill until at least Allentown. Silk colors and cool drum finishes are allowed around San Antonio or so.

• Haha 1