Layering?

I agree that we seem to be hearing the word "layering" more this year than we have in past years. I think what is happening in some cases is that "layering" is what is being used instead of "cleaning." If you remember some of last year's posts at about this time, people were often critiquing shows for being "dirty" but could not explain what "dirt" was, and "clean" was used to describe some shows and clean can mean different things to different people.

For me, one of the best and one of the most successful examples of layering is 2015 Blue Devils. When the young girl stepped out of the story book, that softened the hearts of even the strongest Blue Devils detractors. It was a complete show in many ways prior to the young girl addition,  but this addition added so much.

To use an example of what is not layering is 2015 Blue Knights. They caused a bit of an early season uproar with an unfinished show, unfinished by about two minutes. This was probably more strategic, working to make sure that what was on the field was the best it could be and avoiding heavy duty cleaning as the season progressed. Once the show as complete, then the layering could begin. Since they finished in 6th place and in the off season many predicted a higher placement in 2017, the strategy worked, but for me, the basic show and rewrites have to be finished first, then the layering begins.

• Like 1

Speaking from experience this year, down in OC.  We started the show with movements 1-3 on the field, and are about to add movement 4.  That's not layering - that's just catching up!  We just added 1/2 the props, and are about to add another 1/2, planned in advance.  That *is* layering.  We're adding a ton of electronic drop ins and sound effects, right on schedule.  Also layering.

If it's planned and adds on to what's already there, I'd say it is.  If it's replacing something already existing, that's just rewrites and cleaning, man...

Mike

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I agree that we seem to be hearing the word "layering" more this year than we have in past years. I think what is happening in some cases is that "layering" is what is being used instead of "cleaning." If you remember some of last year's posts at about this time, people were often critiquing shows for being "dirty" but could not explain what "dirt" was, and "clean" was used to describe some shows and clean can mean different things to different people.

For me, one of the best and one of the most successful examples of layering is 2015 Blue Devils. When the young girl stepped out of the story book, that softened the hearts of even the strongest Blue Devils detractors. It was a complete show in many ways prior to the young girl addition,  but this addition added so much.

To use an example of what is not layering is 2015 Blue Knights. They caused a bit of an early season uproar with an unfinished show, unfinished by about two minutes. This was probably more strategic, working to make sure that what was on the field was the best it could be and avoiding heavy duty cleaning as the season progressed. Once the show as complete, then the layering could begin. Since they finished in 6th place and in the off season many predicted a higher placement in 2017, the strategy worked, but for me, the basic show and rewrites have to be finished first, then the layering begins.

Actually, layering ( the word ) has been around in the talking points for decades. Maybe here it just came up BUT it is very different from cleaning.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Speaking from experience this year, down in OC.  We started the show with movements 1-3 on the field, and are about to add movement 4.  That's not layering - that's just catching up!  We just added 1/2 the props, and are about to add another 1/2, planned in advance.  That *is* layering.  We're adding a ton of electronic drop ins and sound effects, right on schedule.  Also layering.

If it's planned and adds on to what's already there, I'd say it is.  If it's replacing something already existing, that's just rewrites and cleaning, man...

Mike

This

The only "layering" I'm familiar with is when I add an extra comforter to the bed for the winter months.  :tongue:

• Haha 2

The best example of layering this year are the Cadets uniforms.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Sounds like you're up for the job.

Nah, they already pay people to clean that up.

48 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Nah, they already pay people to clean that up.

Well, if they're not doing the job up to par, then why don't you step in? I'm sure they'd welcome an expert turd polisher. :happy:

• Haha 1