Belton, TX - July 19, 2018

1 hour ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Hearing the same thing from Genesis - one hour later than original schedule.

The forecast is for a high of 108 here today, so not surprised.

Too bad this show is now at a high school versus Mary-Hardin Baylor, which was a really nice campus with lots of shady spots for warmups, etc.

Yeah, I heard that too last night from our director.  Good on DCI - smart choice.

I'm going to try to find you guys tonight!  Haven't seen y'all since last San Antonio.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Hope they're not charging admission.

I'm afraid that I don't understand this sentiment.

Surely, we all understand that there are costs associated with the presentation of this show, not the least of-which is the DCI contract of tens of thousands of dollars - costs that have to be paid by someone.  Should the presenting organization be stuck with those costs because a safety decision was made in the interests of the performers?

Seriously?

-john

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Hope they're not charging admission.

We are housed at the stadium in Belton ( Crusaders ) there is a one hour delay due to heat. Changed last night

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I'm afraid that I don't understand this sentiment.

Surely, we all understand that there are costs associated with the presentation of this show, not the least of-which is the DCI contract of tens of thousands of dollars - costs that have to be paid by someone.  Should the presenting organization be stuck with those costs because a safety decision was made in the interests of the performers?

Seriously?

-john

I understand the statement, but I understand your point too. In 40 years of following drum corps, I’ve been to many rained out shows and I’ve never expected a refund. I can recall a few years back, BAC hosted a show in Connecticut that was rained out and a show in Lawrence about a month later that wasn’t cancelled due to weather but the forecast was bad enough to hurt ticket sales. Personal emails were sent to people on the corps email list asking to consider an extra contribution to help cover losses, so your points are well made. I also think anyone posting on DCP should know the activity well enough to understand performance fees, stadium rental, etc.

I was on a golf tournament committee a few years ago and weather insurance was suggested. We didn’t buy it and had a perfect day for it, and I don’t recall exactly how it worked, but I believe if the golf course cancelled, we would have been paid, but we could not be the ones to cancel. If DCI made the decision about no judging, exhibition only, maybe something like this could help the organizers, unless it would be too costly.

23 minutes ago, bluehull said:

We are housed at the stadium in Belton ( Crusaders ) there is a one hour delay due to heat. Changed last night

Eat 'em up Boston!!  

Make sure you guys are drinking TONS of water & using sunscreen!  Have you heard if this event will be scored and/or if it will be in full uniform?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I understand the statement, but I understand your point too. In 40 years of following drum corps, I’ve been to many rained out shows and I’ve never expected a refund. I can recall a few years back, BAC hosted a show in Connecticut that was rained out and a show in Lawrence about a month later that wasn’t cancelled due to weather but the forecast was bad enough to hurt ticket sales. Personal emails were sent to people on the corps email list asking to consider an extra contribution to help cover losses, so your points are well made. I also think anyone posting on DCP should know the activity well enough to understand performance fees, stadium rental, etc.

I was on a golf tournament committee a few years ago and weather insurance was suggested. We didn’t buy it and had a perfect day for it, and I don’t recall exactly how it worked, but I believe if the golf course cancelled, we would have been paid, but we could not be the ones to cancel. If DCI made the decision about no judging, exhibition only, maybe something like this could help the organizers, unless it would be too costly.

I guess one concern patrons may have is when they discover there would be no uniforms/costumes or scoring (as was stated) that paying $38 for a ticket to see a non-dress,  dress rehearsal (aka run through); is a bit much.  It may bother some patrons (and some can be unreasonable)  that might have driven 2 hours, paying $38 to see much less than what was expected.  Maybe the sponsors can offer something for ticket buyers like free water, a discount on food & souvie, or free swag.  Some accommodation anyway.  It is smart to delay the show but help the supporters out too if the show parameters are changing so much.

7 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

paying $38 for a ticket to see a non-dress,  dress rehearsal (aka run through); is a bit much. 

But not more important than safety, they are not gladiators that fight to the death. I certainty don't need the judges or uniforms. Have you been to a practice lately although free we had to sit on the 30 folks cheering like crazy. Is this the show on FLO tonight if so I will enjoy the heck out of it and won't be disappointed. Do people get their money back when Willie or Tom can't make it through their show, no. Read the fine print on the ticket.

29 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I guess one concern patrons may have is when they discover there would be no uniforms/costumes or scoring (as was stated) that paying $38 for a ticket to see a non-dress,  dress rehearsal (aka run through); is a bit much.  It may bother some patrons (and some can be unreasonable)  that might have driven 2 hours, paying $38 to see much less than what was expected.  Maybe the sponsors can offer something for ticket buyers like free water, a discount on food & souvie, or free swag.  Some accommodation anyway.  It is smart to delay the show but help the supporters out too if the show parameters are changing so much.

The scores are only a very tiny part of the show at the end a lot of people leave before they’re announced anyways. 

People cheer all the same during actual rehearsals, I doubt the lack of uniforms will result in anything different. In the end the audience is still getting corps performing their full length shows

• Like 1