Not looking good for any DCA show this week end

2006 DCA Semi finals  we marched in a Hurricane. YES a Hurricane. Was told to suck it up that the show had to go on. Guess things have changed a bit. 

9 minutes ago, camel lips said:

2006 DCA Semi finals  we marched in a Hurricane. YES a Hurricane. Was told to suck it up that the show had to go on. Guess things have changed a bit. 

Electronics is a big part of it. Last thing anyone one wants is some disaster there. DCA prelims at Annapolis was held up substantially one year because the stadium's lightning detectors were going off left and right, no visible lightning, but close enough that things were stopped.

20 minutes ago, BigW said:

Electronics is a big part of it. Last thing anyone one wants is some disaster there. DCA prelims at Annapolis was held up substantially one year because the stadium's lightning detectors were going off left and right, no visible lightning, but close enough that things were stopped.

And Annapolis was pre-electronics in DCA.

• Like 1

Lightning and thunder are the key.

If they are present, a show gets delayed or canceled. If not, a show can go on in rainy/windy conditions, as it did at DCA Prelims in 2006.

A number of stadiums, like Annapolis, have that detection system in place... with an automatic delay if an electrical storm is in the area. 

Saturday at Fusion Core's home show, there were contingency plans to move the show indoors as a standstill if the thunder and lightning that had been in the area had persisted.  Fortunately, conditions improved enough for the show to stay outdoors.

Edited by Fran Haring

My Westshoremen friends on here will remember the Brick, NJ, contest in 1979... when the show went on (ended up being an exhibition) despite the fact that rain, lightning, and thunder were basically on top of the stadium.  LOL. 

I was there with Sunrisers... and I remember seeing some of the stadium lights literally bursting while Westshore was on the field. For the life of me, I have no idea why that show was not called off.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

My Westshoremen friends on here will remember the Brick, NJ, contest in 1979... when the show went on (ended up being an exhibition) despite the fact that rain, lightning, and thunder were basically on top of the stadium.  LOL. 

I was there with Sunrisers... and I remember seeing some of the stadium lights literally bursting while Westshore was on the field. For the life of me, I have no idea why that show was not called off.

In 1986, I was a high school freshman in marching band at one home football game when there was lightning quite visible in the distance (and in multiple directions) all through the first half, and the game wasn't called until the third quarter. During our halftime performance, a huge wind blew up. Our show was "New York, New York", "On Broadway" (a standstill), and Neil Diamond's "America". I'll never forget how I thought people were throwing confetti during the closer, only to realize after a few seconds that it was actually autumn leaves blowing off the trees behind the stadium. The rain started soon after we finished, and then there was lightning everywhere, and only then did we all run for shelter back to the high school, more than a quarter mile away. "Human lightning rod, coming through!" I shouted. (I was on sousaphone.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

One light bulb from the rocking light pole came out and fell right behind our DM during the concert number of Grenda Smoothie as W says. A few feet in another direction and....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

One light bulb from the rocking light pole came out and fell right behind our DM during the concert number of Grenda Smoothie as W says. A few feet in another direction and....

... we would have had a Michael Jackson asploding incident. I remember all of us carefully exchanging some serious "WHOA!" sideways glances and raised eyebrows after that. Didn't want to turn your head, you'd tick! :innocent:

The rain was so hard... it was like you were breathing the raindrops.

• Like 2

More memories of that disaster... did the exhibition in street clothes (and corps jackets?) which means went home soaking wet in buses that had the air conditioner cranked because of the humidity. Pulled up thinking the show had to be called off and #### someone's on the field. Glasses rained up and NO idea how we did that merge at the 50 in the drum solo without any collisions

Was anyone in the stands??