the REAL ending

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

I have no inside information at all. Last night not being scored do you think running to the ocean was for that show because of the heat? They go back to Found tomorrow. I think it fits either way and will cheer them on whatever they do.

They did the “Found”, and then continued. Looked like (at the very end) changed the “Lost” to BAC. 

6 hours ago, ouooga said:

Actual question, did DCI implement a rule that you can't change the ending after Quarters? I seem to remember Finals Night being the night that shows got their final finish, like BD only marched off the field in 04 at Finals. I don't think I've seen that in a long time. I also seem to remember shots from Semis being used in the video editing when needed, and wondered if that might be the reason for the rule, if it exists.

Colts 2015 'And a shot rings out' changed its ending Semis night.

The greatest finals night ending change is undoubtedly Velvet Knights 1992.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

They did the “Found”, and then continued. Looked like (at the very end) changed the “Lost” to BAC. 

Wow, what I miss on FLO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

It all depends on what is working. The Cadets in 2011 did not change their ending visually all season. They tweaked a few things musically but visually they had what worked. 

If I'm not mistaken, I think that Cadets 2008 closer was also visually the same throughout the season with minor music tweaks. I could be wrong though.

3 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Define, please? New to me

By “colored the landscape” I mean that GR’s willingness to pull out TBD as a last minute/“kitchen sink”/Hail Mary attempt to come from behind and win Finals was forever changed. 

14 hours ago, mfrontz said:

If I remember right, And A Shot Rings Out was created with three possible endings.  The music and drill were the same, but which character died changed from night to night.  

Poor Trixie.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, mfrontz said:

Ah yes! The shark eats the "fat lady"! Maybe the greatest closing gag ever. It propelled VK's show from that year's crowd favorite to all-time legendary status.

Just look at how often that 1992 Velvet Knights performance shows up on people's all-time lists. I don't see too many non-winning performances, not to mention 10TH PLACE performances, that are so fondly remembered decades later.

And it seems that the show's legend has kept growing over the years. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read about how that was the loudest DCI crowd reaction ever. How the raucous ovation blew out one of the field mics on the audio/video production. Stories about how VK fortuitously came into possession of that shark prop because one of the high schools where they overnighted wanted to get rid of it and asked them if they wanted it. How VK ended up with an old UCLA mascot costume for the bear. How VK got an inflatable Godzilla, and when they asked the DCI higher ups if they could add it to the show, the response was laughter and something along the lines of "Go ahead, we'll add a rule banning it next year."

Wherever the truths lie, I can safely say that the VK show was already comedic gold, bringing the house down every night with the "fat lady" gag even before they added the shark. That year, I went to a June show in SoCal, and even in its early form (no shark, no Godzilla v Energizer Bunny battle), the crowd went nuts over what VK was doing.

And what a ballsy move for VK to keep the shark under wraps until finals. Recall that VK did not qualify for finals the year before, so it was not a given that they would make it to the final show. But, keeping the shark a secret until the finals night closer truly made that show the stuff of legend.

Just listen to the audio track of their finals show (the crowd reaction sounds clearer on the CD mix than on the video). The audience was already primed to give VK a gigantic ovation at the end of their show. But, when that shark rolled out, the crowd just erupted and kept getting louder until shark mouth met fat lady. I could only imagine how deafening that stadium was at that moment!

Great moment for VK and the drumcorps activity, albeit a bittersweet one. That 1992 performance would be the last time a comedic show qualified for finals, and the last time that the Velvet Knights ever advanced to finals. The corps itself would fold 6 years later. But, they had that one moment where everything converged, and people still talk about it.

YouTube vid of the VK finale below. FYI, the sign at the end of the show says "It Ain't Over Til The ..."

Edited by Woochifer
  • Like 6

On 7/20/2018 at 2:05 PM, BRASSO said:

Its not.  The "final product " is due out Sat. Aug, 11th at approx. 9:30 pm CT.

Same as it ever was.

"same as it ever was"

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So.  For those of us unable to go in person, we're not likely to see new endings until Prelims!