the REAL ending

22 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

What were some of the endings? The one they ended up with just makes so much sense, I can’t picture it any other way. 

In addition to the final ending, I saw several including a quiet one at DCI East. Don’t remember the details on all of them, only that it kept changing. 

I have been a drum corps fan since 1999 and have never seen that VK 92 clip. I don't know how I can call myself a long time fan and not know about that. What a gem that is!

And the BD in 2008 thought they were constantly risking absurdity? No, no they weren't. I wish there was this kind of comedic entertainment in DCI today, but everything is so sterile now. 

• Like 2

In the years before and after they included props, play acting and costumes with mixed success, but this year, it all just worked.  The Magical Mystery Tour show that included Malaguena is my other favorite of theirs. The bullfight is classic. Unfortunately may only be an early season recording of this show on YouTube.  

On 8/4/2018 at 6:22 AM, kdaddy said:

Not to derail the conversation... but I was looking back over VK's repertoires over the years, and the stuff they were playing back, say, in the early 80s seemed like the stuff everyone else was playing. That is, they seemed normal. When did they decide to become the jokester corps?

Also, how impressive was that jump from 81 to 84? 33 -> 21 -> 17 -> 12

I would guess it happened sometime around 1982. Huge transformation all the way around. They ditched the traditional unis and went to straw hats, Hawaiian shirts, and Converse high tops.

This is a video that someone shot during an early season retreat that year. The drum majors played up their California beach bum persona by setting up lawn chairs and a drink cooler instead of the usual standing at attention. And this time, the Blue Devil DMs got into the act. I've read other accounts that DMs from other corps also began pranking the VK DMs during retreat throughout that season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjfTswBbBxU

Edited by Woochifer

4 hours ago, Woochifer said:

I would guess it happened sometime around 1982. Huge transformation all the way around. They ditched the traditional unis and went to straw hats, Hawaiian shirts, and Converse high tops.

This is a video that someone shot during an early season retreat that year. The drum majors played up their California beach bum persona by setting up lawn chairs and a drink cooler instead of the usual standing at attention. And this time, the Blue Devil DMs got into the act. I've read other accounts that DMs from other corps also began pranking the VK DMs during retreat throughout that season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjfTswBbBxU

That's a classic. I was at this show, and had just latched on with VK for DCI tour. What a fun group, show and kids.