Has Audience Culture Changed?

One other factor, both for me and my daughter, was fatigue/sensory overload. After nine hours of having it come at me, front and center, by the time the last grouping came around, I was almost becoming a little numb to it all. Despite the fact that the performances were getting more and more impressive.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, TheClutch said:

It's harder to wow audiences when they can watch anything that has ever been created on their portable computer from any location.

It's also harder to 1 up last year each year because it's harder to find something that hasn't been done.

Watch any individual member and they're moving more than almost any other year.  We just become numb to it.  What used to be a halt is now choreography. What used to be marching is now running.

If your only answer is "because drum corps has gotten worse," delete your account.  Why are you still here?

Amen. I think the Cadets and Boston are the most emotional shows this year. I wish each played on that a little more though.

3 minutes ago, year1buick said:

One other factor, both for me and my daughter, was fatigue/sensory overload. After nine hours of having it come at me, front and center, by the time the last grouping came around, I was almost becoming a little numb to it all. Despite the fact that the performances were getting more and more impressive.

It is a very long day at the regionals.  I see everyone in Indy by seeing a lot of shows earlier on Thursday, take a break and return later.  Friday, I switch it up where I see the middle group I missed on Thursday, take a break, then come in later.  Saturday, I’m there for everyone.  Spreading it out over three days works pretty well for us.  Plus I’m older so I need to get up and take a walk. 

• Like 6

Personally, when I attend I show I want to catch every single detail that I might miss when watching videos. Because of this, I don't applaud or cheer unless I know for absolute certain that there is nothing going on, including programmed silence. I find this to be similar to watching an orchestral concert; the current etiquette at such a venue is to remain silent and enjoy the experience being provided, and to also not potentially disrupt the experience of the concert-goer next to you. Contrast with, say, a jazz club, where one is almost obligated to clap and applaud during the performance, notably after solos. I'm not saying that one way is correct, or is better than the other, I'm simply sharing my approach.

I will add, however, that as a performer it is much, much easier to get hyped or pump out the energy when the crowd is active rather than passive. I remember distinctly a crowd in 2013 that was dead, and while I understood that it was because the crowd was respectfully listening to the show, it was extremely difficult to push energy into the performance. Contrast in 2014, when nearly every single show was hyped up because the crowd was always into it.

34 minutes ago, TheClutch said:

If your only answer is "because drum corps has gotten worse," delete your account.  Why are you still here?

Best suggestion I’ve seen

• Like 2

Back in the 1980s if your first hit didn’t get the audience on their feet you failed as a performer.  Of course 30 years ago it didn’t take three minutes for the horns to start playing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

No need to wonder in Birmingham would need to apply glue on the seat. I will get pummeled for this but that was the turning point for the type of audience dci wanted to attract. For me Birmingham was the last DCA type audience. To expand on that an audience less concerned about scores and placements but had a big hunger to be entertained. DCI knew it could not survive on that type of fan and needed to appeal to more of a musically educated audience, great foresight. Like most things in life they go full circle and tastes change. This year I will think I am back in Birmingham but that may be just me...

You’re talking 1980?

In 1994, DCI Finals was held in Foxboro, MA. The last time the Boston area had a show of this magnitude would have been CYO Nationals in 1984, the last year that event was held, and while I do not have numbers to back up this claim, the last really large crowd I remember at this event was 1981. I can remember CYO Nationals and World Open, local circuit shows being on my feet the entire time. DCI in 1994 seemed rather subdued though I know I loved the show and I know I could not be contained for 27th Lancers "Once More in 94." 1984 would have been my age out year had I marched. I was still in college and while the college I attended, located across the street from Boston College where CYO Nationals was held, was probably a bit more restricted than most, I was still a young college kid. ten years later, I had six years teaching experience under my belt and I was on the threshold of making the most significant decision in my life.

Fast forward to 2014. Commitments kept me from going to Allentown and Indy, but I was able to go to Atlanta and NightBEAT the following evening. Busloads of high school kids were at being dropped off at both events. College age kids everywhere. A group of kids sat next to me in Atlanta. Every time they got up, they said "Excuse me SIR," as they left. They could barely contain their excitement as the show progressed. It was livelier than Allentown which usually has an enthusiastic crowd. At NightBEAT, a middle school band director and some of his students sat near to me. The director and I compared the 2014 version of "Scheherazade" to the 2004 version. None of the kids joined that conversation. They hadn't even entered Kindergarten yet.

So watch the kids in the audience. If they're excited, chances are the excitement level hasn't changed, we've just gotten older. Audience size is a factor too. The first time I went to Indy was 2012, the last time was last year. Last year had improved attendance and the enthusiasm was higher too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

In 1994, DCI Finals was held in Foxboro, MA. The last time the Boston area had a show of this magnitude would have been CYO Nationals in 1984, the last year that event was held, and while I do not have numbers to back up this claim, the last really large crowd I remember at this event was 1981. I can remember CYO Nationals and World Open, local circuit shows being on my feet the entire time. DCI in 1994 seemed rather subdued though I know I loved the show and I know I could not be contained for 27th Lancers "Once More in 94." 1984 would have been my age out year had I marched. I was still in college and while the college I attended, located across the street from Boston College where CYO Nationals was held, was probably a bit more restricted than most, I was still a young college kid. ten years later, I had six years teaching experience under my belt and I was on the threshold of making the most significant decision in my life.

Fast forward to 2014. Commitments kept me from going to Allentown and Indy, but I was able to go to Atlanta and NightBEAT the following evening. Busloads of high school kids were at being dropped off at both events. College age kids everywhere. A group of kids sat next to me in Atlanta. Every time they got up, they said "Excuse me SIR," as they left. They could barely contain their excitement as the show progressed. It was livelier than Allentown which usually has an enthusiastic crowd. At NightBEAT, a middle school band director and some of his students sat near to me. The director and I compared the 2014 version of "Scheherazade" to the 2004 version. None of the kids joined that conversation. They hadn't even entered Kindergarten yet.

So watch the kids in the audience. If they're excited, chances are the excitement level hasn't changed, we've just gotten older. Audience size is a factor too. The first time I went to Indy was 2012, the last time was last year. Last year had improved attendance and the enthusiasm was higher too. 

Your memory is outstanding; I competed in ‘81 with The Cavaliers in CYO Nationals in Boston.  The audience was YUGE and on their feet throughout most every performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarriorWay said:

Amen. I think the Cadets and Boston are the most emotional shows this year. I wish each played on that a little more though.

3 weeks left - both corps have plans to do just that...

• Like 1