Has Audience Culture Changed?

13 minutes ago, Lead said:

It was in place when I got here. This is my 16th year.

I would even say "MOST" of the competitive groups in my state/area don't stay after halftime. Why? Multiple reasons. Halftime is our dress rehearsal. Our show is on Saturday - the thing we've put all our time and money into. We are putting our kids at a disadvantage when they have to be the first one in the building and the last ones out for a football game - and then get up at 5:30am the next day for our REAL competition. Plus, I actually encourage my kids to change out of uniform and go sit with their friends and watch the game. I think that's important for them too. But then they don't have to - again - be the last ones out of the building.

There are times we stay for the whole game - if we have a late contest on Saturday, or Homecoming, we let the Seniors vote each year on staying the whole game on Senior night. Plus - we are working on show music during class and don't have time to work up Louie Louie.

It's not negative at all, and my AD and principal are fine with it just like the other schools around. Hell, the AD is happy that hungry Band kids visit the concession stand after they change.

Can I ask what state ?

Where I live in N.J. ,a lot of bands compete in US Bands,but I've never seen a band leave at halftime.

In fact,Clifton High School,who is one of the top bands in this area,seems to enjoy playing in the stands as much as on the field.

Knowing the  school boards around here they would most likely take the position that the band's budget comes out of the school system's budget,so  its the band's obligation to stay.

I guess in cases like your,the band is funded by other sources then just the school.

Edited by rpbobcat

High school band and high school football have been decoupled in many parts of the country.

Thank God.

Bandos won’t get better standing still and huffing and blatting through the Hal Leonard Soundpower Series.  

Of course there is the idea that band at a sports event is showing support for the school and other students.... how outdated, we all know it’s hooray for me and to hades with you. (sarcasm)...

edit: to be fair if no way around a  o dark 30 wake up call (bus trip etc) that’s a separate issue because of safety or health issues 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On July 22, 2018 at 1:32 PM, Jim Schehr said:

Many of these productions don't translate or communicate well to the audience. It is unfortunate that the activity has become monkey see monkey do. Very few come up with a creative, original idea. My heart goes out to marching members - they're only a reflection of what was put in front of and/or on them. Truth be told, if I never see some of these productions again this season, I won't feel like I missed anything.

For me it's about the music and marching and the quality of performance. I miss the high velocity intricate marching drills which are now replaced with jumping, hopping, skipping, running, posing, twirling, laying down, ballet, dancing, and now gymnastic tumbling, not to mention the pushing, pulling, dragging, lifting, climbing, standing and riding of props. Only a few corps have the prop thingie down - most props are horribly made and grossly underutilzed.

My polite applause at the end of a performance is not always for the production but instead for the marching members trying to do the best with what they were given, and a reason to stretch my legs. 

I agree with you 100%.  The only thing you forgot to comment on is the Halloween costumes that are being used on the field now.  I know I will be called an old fool, but if anyone here really wants to see/hear DRUM CORPS, watch one of the alumni shows.  Okay, you can commence throwing the rotten tomatoes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lead said:

That wasn't the question. As a band director myself, it's THE thing and in order to play the game I go along with it. 

It works, and it's artistic. Which - for top programs - is what we're going for these days. Many competitive band programs don't even stay for the rest of the football game after the halftime show anymore. We don't.

You're lucky your band director isn't drawn and quartered by the superintendent and school board. In PA... that would happen. Football is a way of life, esp. in western PA, and you're expected to be there, period. And in some instances... if the show's not well understood by the superintendent and his golf buddies, which happened to a group I was with... things hit the fan.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:42 AM, GREENBLUE said:

Last nights crowd was horrible. 

Enough said.

Asked the guy sitting next to me during the Top 6 “what more do these people want?” It’s the best and most competitive field we’ve seen in years and people were sitting on their hands. On the 50 and no reaction whatsoever to soooo many moments that should’ve had people cheering and standing.

Sorry Texas, after three shows have not been impressed.

Don't blame the audience, maybe the shows are too artistic and need several viewing to better understand them. The audience is the same but the scoring has changed, can't compare shows from 70's - design + crowd reaction, to 80's - design + crowd reaction, etc..so maybe the audience don't know how to react regardless if it's TOP 6! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigW said:

You're lucky your band director isn't drawn and quartered by the superintendent and school board. In PA... that would happen. Football is a way of life, esp. in western PA, and you're expected to be there, period. And in some instances... if the show's not well understood by the superintendent and his golf buddies, which happened to a group I was with... things hit the fan.

Wonder how the relationship between the band and football team is with band leaving early. College had a great relationship as team knew the band would support them to the end. And they were .500 if they were lucky . Oh yeah western PA College 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

19 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yep. In Virginia it's the same. I remember one of the bands in our county leaving early during a game once and there were mass complaints from parents of football players for whatever reason. In a lot of places, the marching band is treated as a free service specifically for the football players. 

Edited by Cappybara

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Bandos won’t get better standing still and huffing and blatting through the Hal Leonard Soundpower Series.  

In most school districts, bands won't exist much longer if they lose their budget from the school board due to lack of exposure. "We don't need to fund the band program, they don't even want to show up for the football games anymore." I'd much rather hear a sloppy but spirited rendition of El Cumbanchero in the stands than see an empty spot where the band used to be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

In a lot of places, the marching band is treated as a free service specifically for the football players. 

In Pennsylvania, it most certainly is and woe betide anyone who bucks that trend.