Has Audience Culture Changed?

I have always felt that DCI should require every corps to satisfy certain compulsories, such as a company front, etc. Also, DCI  would be smart to include the fans in the scoring process via an app. Give the fans 5 points to award to their favorite corp performance.

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

I have always felt that DCI should require every corps to satisfy certain compulsories, such as a company front, etc. Also, DCI  would be smart to include the fans in the scoring process via an app. Give the fans 5 points to award to their favorite corp performance.

I dunno about the rest, but the bold part brings three words to mind, for me.

Reuben Studdard's Mom

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

Ah a formula for stale show designs and turning drum corps into American Idol. Lovely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I have always felt that DCI should require every corps to satisfy certain compulsories, such as a company front, etc. 

This is the world the corps left when they broke from Am. Legion and VFW with their mandated (and limited) cadence, 16 count company fronts (3 for color guard contests) flag presentation, and choice of manual of arms or posting of colors.

Regarding your other fantasies, DCA and RCA both experimented with this and found no positive outcome nor change of outcome.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mellojay84 said:

maybe someone addressed this earlier (I haven't read through the entire thread), but in previous decades a MUCH larger portion of the audiences were seeing shows for the first time.  Reactions were raw, and spontaneous..  How many of us now can say we haven't watched/heard/gotten a taste of several corps' shows before we even go to a stadium to see them live? I know a few who make it a mission to NOT watch anything till they can see it live, or on finals night... I surmise that those folks are a minority.  Most of us know whats about to happen before we get in our seats.  I think it's a change in how we "curate" our Drum Corps experience, not that audiences have changed.. 

a large portion believe it or not is only seeing a show once a year.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daave said:

I dunno about the rest, but the bold part brings three words to mind, for me.

Reuben Studdard's Mom

Vote Sanjaya!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

This is the world the corps left when they broke from Am. Legion and VFW with their mandated (and limited,) 16 count company fronts (3 for color guard contests) flag presentation, and choice of manual of arms or posting of colors.

Regarding your other fantasies, DCA and RCA both experimented with this and found no positive outcome nor change of outcome.

They even had cadence on the sheets. 

2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Heh.. a few years back, I attended my first WGI guard show in a long time...decades.

Every single guard began and ended the same way.... with some sort of solo feature to start (either some tosses or a dance routine), and with a "down" ending.

I asked a buddy of mine... guy who has been involved in the guard world forever, as either a performer, teacher, and currently as a judge... if there were compulsory moves each guard needed to do, including the beginning and ending sequences.  He replied, no... it's just a follow-the-leader mentality. LOL

For all the creativity/innovation we've seen over the years in the marching activity... there at times is a numbing sameness to the product.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh.. a few years back, I attended my first WGI guard show in a long time...decades.

Every single guard began and ended the same way.... with some sort of solo feature to start (either some tosses or a dance routine), and with a "down" ending.

I asked a buddy of mine... guy who has been involved in the guard world forever, as either a performer, teacher, and currently as a judge... if there were compulsory moves each guard needed to do, including the beginning and ending sequences.  He replied, no... it's just a follow-the-leader mentality. LOL

For all the creativity/innovation we've seen over the years in the marching activity... there at times is a numbing sameness to the product.

I haven’t been to a WGI show since 1983 and I went to one last year.  It looks like North Korean choreography like you see in Pyongyang when a zillion girls dance for Kim Jong-il.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I went to one a few years back.  They are very talented but it’s just not my thing.