Has Audience Culture Changed?

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Ah a formula for stale show designs and turning drum corps into American Idol. Lovely. 

Those things weren't favored even in the past. A lot of it had to do with the military influence in the activity. I remember wayyyyyyy back to the 1st guard I taught. When it came to the Manuel of arms. I told a kid to teach that thing and let's move on..it was gone I think the following year. 

A short story I also remember a certain DCI/ WGI judge fighting tooth and nail to do away with the American Flag squad in winter guards..Fought so hard. The next season when it was gone the guard ( His ) came out with a patriotic show, flag and all...lol

It's like "Day and Night." 

I've been going to DCI Shows since the early 70's, so there's a lot of "In Person" evidence to make a case. 

70's, 80's and 90's Drum Corps crowds were like going to a hotly contested football game in the Southeastern Conference. It used to be like watching LSU vs Alabama.

Crowds were aggressive and loud. (Reflecting the Corps) There was lots of yelling, clapping and standing ovations. We got into the Music a lot more then than now. You could actually recognize most of the songs being played and loved a little "Squat and Blow/Park and Park" to some of out favorites.  

Fast forward to 2000 and beyond, crowds have degenerated into something more resembling a Golf or Tennis match. Polite clapping is about all you get now, with rare exception.

Totally different shows. Totally different music. Totally different reactions.

Aggressive and "In Your Face" SEC Football has been replaced by "Artsy Fartsy" Ivy League Golf and Tennis.  NFL vs  Broadway Theater.

There's not even a debate either.

What many of yall think may be a great crowd reaction today, is really quite tame in comparison. (And you're not qualified to make a comparison if you weren't actually there in person for over 4 decades)      

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

I've been going to DCI Shows since the early 70's, so there's a lot of "In Person" evidence to make a case. 

70's, 80's and 90's Drum Corps crowds were like going to a hotly contested football game in the Southeastern Conference. It used to be like watching LSU vs Alabama.

Crowds were aggressive and loud. (Reflecting the Corps) There was lots of yelling, clapping and standing ovations. We got into the Music a lot more then than now. You could actually recognize most of the songs being played and loved a little "Squat and Blow/Park and Park" to some of out favorites.  

Fast forward to 2000 and beyond, crowds have degenerated into something more resembling a Golf or Tennis match. Polite clapping is about all you get now, with rare exception.

Aggressive and "In Your Face" SEC Football has been replaced by "Artsy Fartsy" Ivy League Golf and Tennis.  NFL vs  Broadway Theater.

What many of yall think may be a great crowd reaction today, is really quite tame in comparison. (And you're not qualified to make a comparison if you weren't actually there in person for over 4 decades)      

And yet it works:biggrin:

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, denverjohn said:

If you drink the koolaid long enough, you too will be enthralled by the king's fine invisible robes.

:worthy::thumbup:

Lots of Fruit Punch Koolaid; maybe more like "Wine & Cheese" intermission fare from a Broadway Theater play or an Opera.   

I'm still mystified on how the theatrical WGI/BOA mentality has so broken in and thoroughly taken over every aspect of DCI.

Nothing to look forward to any longer during the Summer except for Diving, Dolphins and the Beach.

"Marching Musical Theater" no longer part of the equation. :mad: 

47 minutes ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

:lle:

10 hours ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

Aggressive and "In Your Face" SEC Football has been replaced by "Artsy Fartsy" Ivy League Golf and Tennis. 

For the record... SEC teams have done quite well in competitive golf through the years. Ivy League teams, not quite as much.   :laughing:

10 hours ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

:worthy::thumbup:

Lots of Fruit Punch Koolaid; maybe more like "Wine & Cheese" intermission fare from a Broadway Theater play or an Opera.   

I'm still mystified on how the theatrical WGI/BOA mentality has so broken in and thoroughly taken over every aspect of DCI.

Nothing to look forward to any longer during the Summer except for Diving, Dolphins and the Beach.

"Marching Musical Theater" no longer part of the equation. :mad: 

I'll say it yet again.DCI/ WGI/BOA/DCA  " IS" the same...the people are the same, the judges ( many ) are the same, designers are the same. If you need to blame someone, don't look further than our own backyard

Edited by GUARDLING

11 hours ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

born in 69, going to shows since 69. yeah there was a down period for a while, but crowds are back up.

I've said it before but I'll say it again...DCi had to make a choice.....appeal to older fans, or go after the new geenration. Trying to appease both wasnt working........and they chose going forward not looking back.

and it's working. Crowds are up. Corps are bigger, and some new faces slowly but surely coming out. Then again, as a kid in the 70's, I remember listening to 50 year olds #####ing about the changes made in the 70's.

Either a fan reaches their "get off my lawn" stage, or they continue to adapt and stay on board. But please, don't ever think #####ing on here is going to change the direction of drum corps, because it won't. More and more kids get hooked daily, and that's a good thing.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

And yet it works:biggrin:

what works? :peek: