DCI Southeastern Regional - July 28, 2018

7 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Judges cannot make up their minds on BK GE. No other corps has such a great degree of variation in the 4 subcap scores.

posted from the DrumScorps app

This pretty well is the case with the entire fanbase as well I think. Their visual programs in particular leave a lot of people scratching their head, but even then they’re able to do whatever it is they’re doing effectively (whatever that means). Their GE scores certainly seem to reflect that no one is quite sure what to do with BK.

posted from the DrumScorps app

3 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Then why in the hell is she still allowed to judge?

Because she’s a pretty good darn judge. She’s been doing this a long time along with George Oliviero, who also placed BD first recently.  Maybe they’re telling the youngings to look closer at what they consider content.  Maybe the color guard world is at a crossroads. I have no idea as I’m not a guard person. I have listened to some of their tapes though and I don’t have a problem with what I’ve heard.  Everyone wants their team to win. Just have fun and enjoy.  

Edited by Whiskey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

As soon as I saw Torchia, Kuhn, Saucedo, and Phillips on the panel I knew it would be a rough scoring night for The Cavaliers.

Maybe, but reading through comments posted during the Cavaliers show, the consensus seemed to be they did but have their best performance. The judges may have gotten it right. 

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not every judge. They have won music in a few of the big shows. And have been beating BD in brass and occasionally percussion as well as occasionally music overall. Not talking about demand for demands sake. Talking about using incredibly intricate forms and travel patterns to create great visual moments. I am afraid a George Zingali style drill may not be credited to be in the top 8. And I see MANY corps parking and barking. Crown does it for one section and you dismiss all the other demand in the show. Not trying to be rude either... just my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. To defend BD a bit, they march more this year than any time since 2008, (hence my overall frustration on their always high visual scores), but Crowns drill is the best this year. They are getting beat because their props are stationary.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Tomorrow, we get Nightbeat.  Same bat time, same bat channel. 

Hopefully Flo's A team is already there...they obviously weren't in Atlanta...and I say that as someone who has been very Pro Flo all season.  Maybe it was the new stadium.

• Like 1

Just now, MusicManNJ said:

Not every judge. They have won music in a few of the big shows. And have been beating BD in brass and occasionally percussion as well as occasionally music overall. Not talking about demand for demands sake. Talking about using incredibly intricate forms and travel patterns to create great visual moments. I am afraid a George Zingali style drill may not be credited to be in the top 8. And I see MANY corps parking and barking. Crown does it for one section and you dismiss all the other demand in the show. Not trying to be rude either... just my opinion.

I meant the judging community as a whole. Crown has certainly been competitive in music.

I don’t agree with the visual components that you speak of. Compared to their competition, I think that Crown’s visual package is not competitive (at least with top 3).

Being dismissive of the rest of Crown’s show... that’s a fair point. I think that I would be less critical of it if I were buying into the rest of the visual package, but I’m not. But yes, I wouldn’t necessarily say that to any corps, that’s fair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Because she’s a pretty good darn good judge. She’s been doing this a long time along with George Oliviero, who also placed BD first recently.  Maybe they’re telling the youngings to look closer at what they consider content.  Maybe the color guard world is at a crossroads. I have no idea as I’m not a guard person. I have listened to some of their tapes though and I don’t have a problem with what I’ve heard.  Everyone wants their team to win. Just have fun and enjoy.  

Or maybe they value hairography over equipment work

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

There is a lot I could say about tonight... and it has probably already been said.  So I will say just one thing: 

Madison's show really grew on me tonight.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Two words: Debbie Torchia. 

She either loves or hates a guard.  She loves Blue Devils and she put The Cavaliers in seventh.

That was the difference between 5 and 6. Her axe is well-documented, see, eg. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/147302-what-does-deborah-torchia-have-against-the-cavaliers/&page=2.

Edited by PCEP00