DCI Southeastern Regional - July 28, 2018

2 minutes ago, Hdrumdad said:

9 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

This pretty well is the case with the entire fanbase as well I think. Their visual programs in particular leave a lot of people scratching their head, but even then they’re able to do whatever it is they’re doing effectively (whatever that means). Their GE scores certainly seem to reflect that no one is quite sure what to do with BK.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Would it be the same if BD or Coats we’re performing that show, or would it be considered genius ??

Who knows? I think other corps would have very different visual designs if given the same arrangements, and I would be the first to admit that many of those designs would be better.

• Thanks 1

one more question: is there a serious plan to make wireless mics work for Indianapolis, or are we just going to continue to not hear soloists consistently?

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, caliswift said:

They didn't beat Crown.

That is not what you said "NO" about...you said no to BAC beating Cavies tonight...just for the record.

• Like 1

so this is just not a very good season - show wise --- from a basic entertainment stand point --

simple thumbs up/thumbs down rating of the shows:

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.675 (thumbs down)
2 Blue Devils 93.250 (thumbs down)
3 Bluecoats 92.775 (thumbs down)
4 Carolina Crown 91.525 (thumbs down)
5 Boston Crusaders 89.950 (thumbs up)
6 The Cavaliers 89.925 (thumbs down)
7 The Cadets 87.487 (thumbs down)
8 Blue Stars 86.250 (thumbs down)
9 Blue Knights (thumbs down)

I think this has to do with narrative - I'm not connecting with the stories in any of the shows - I'm just not finding a lot to engage/excite me....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

Just returned home from the show. Some thoughts while they are still fresh:

I haven’t read through this thread but was it an off night for soloists for many corps?

I’ve walked on the field and the turf is insanely thick - that was evident in watching many corps struggle with their props.

Favorites for me include SCV, Crown, Boston, Blue Devils, Mandarins, Spirit, Pacific Crest.

Guards are amazing this year!!

The long walk from the warm up in the Marshaling Yard to the MBS for the corps is very long. Some have commented it will get shorter next year but it won’t.  The construction in the GWCC docks this year doesn’t make the trek any longer.

Disappointed in the crowd, not as in to it as I hoped (except from Crown on). I was right on the 50 in Section 237 and I couldn’t believe how empty it was until the top 6.

Food prices are great but the service horrible in the Harrahs Club.  15 minutes wait for a hotdog, out of salads, tasteless pretzel. Unless you wanted chips with nacho cheese or ice cream you were out of luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnpendell said:

I don't have a subscription to Flo but ####.... I probably will NEVER buy a subscription. Who's running this a high school photography class?!

more like middle school videography...

• Like 2

Analyzing the scores tonight is fascinating. BD is closing in on SCV. They had a good night in Music Analysis 2, placing 1st and SCV placing 3rd and BD is right there percussion. BD also beat out SCV in the visual caption. To me, I think the key factor in SCV getting the title hands down is how the well the Color Guard scores for SCV.

I expect SCV to boost the SCV Guard book by finals with the ending.

BD 4th in Brass, wow.

Cavies guard do that bad tonight? Or judging have a bad night?

It's clear that Crown's visual and GE captions is costing their hopes of a title. I think design not execution as the issue.

Bluecoats Achilles heel is the Music, especially percussion. I love Rarick's percussion book, judges don't seem too keen on it. I find that interesting.

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree with WarriorWay . From a musical and visual standpoint, BD's show is just stronger. BD has a better drill than Bluecoats, a better color guard, and a better concept. I enjoy Bluecoats show, but the props are distracting and they do absolutely nothing interesting with them. I can see why BD is beating them, and I expect that to continue through finals. At the end of the day, Bluecoats will probably get bronze, which is a lot better than their placement last year. From a show perspective, the 2018 show is my least favorite since 2013. 

Sorry, but you got me scratching my head with that prop comment?  I can tell you the GE and V judges don't feel that way.  

Congrats to SCV and BD, but this thing will not be settled for two more weeks (and never here on DCP).  I would point out that BD beat Bloo tonight in VA, CG, MA and Perc.  Bloo however beat BD in GE, VP, and Brass...and SCV in CG. 

Think we can agree on it being a fun final 2 weeks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tedrick said:

so this is just not a very good season - show wise --- from a basic entertainment stand point --

simple thumbs up/thumbs down rating of the shows:

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.675 (thumbs down)
2 Blue Devils 93.250 (thumbs down)
3 Bluecoats 92.775 (thumbs down)
4 Carolina Crown 91.525 (thumbs down)
5 Boston Crusaders 89.950 (thumbs up)
6 The Cavaliers 89.925 (thumbs down)
7 The Cadets 87.487 (thumbs down)
8 Blue Stars 86.250 (thumbs down)
9 Blue Knights (thumbs down)

I think this has to do with narrative - I'm not connecting with the stories in any of the shows - I'm just not finding a lot to engage/excite me....

WOW...you must be really bummed that you spent $150 for a finals ticket!

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, PCEP00 said:

That was the difference between 5 and 6. Her axe is well-documented, see, eg. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/147302-what-does-deborah-torchia-have-against-the-cavaliers/&page=2.

Well considering BAC guard has been beating them handily...no surprises there

move along