DCI Southeastern Regional - July 28, 2018

14 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Sorry, but you got me scratching my head with that prop comment?  I can tell you the GE and V judges don't feel that way.  

Congrats to SCV and BD, but this thing will not be settled for two more weeks (and never here on DCP).  I would point out that BD beat Bloo tonight in VA, CG, MA and Perc.  Bloo however beat BD in GE, VP, and Brass...and SCV in CG. 

Think we can agree on it being a fun final 2 weeks.

The props are distracting and they don't do anything interesting with them. That's just my opinion. Nothing we haven't seen before, other than they are giant chairs. It's a good show. I think SCV and BD have better shows, and the judges overall seem to be in agreement with that. I do think Bluecoats can beat BD, but it's all going to come down to getting their music caption issues sorted out, and they are running out of time.

It's going to be a final fun two weeks, for sure, but I think Vanguard has it in the bag at this point. I just don't see them as being beatable. Their show is just too good, better than anyone else's, and as a whole they are out-executing everyone. Bluecoats have a great shot at GE, but music may keep them down; Devils have a shot at visual, but GE and brass may be a problem; Crown has a shot at brass, but other than percussion, will struggle with guard, GE and visual; Vanguard is the only one that has a shot at all three, and every single caption for that matter. I doubt we are going to see anything but 1s and 2s on the recap for them at finals, if not nearly all 1s. That's the difference. That's why Vanguard is going to win finals. That's how I see it.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, tedrick said:

so this is just not a very good season - show wise --- from a basic entertainment stand point --

simple thumbs up/thumbs down rating of the shows:

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.675 (thumbs down)
2 Blue Devils 93.250 (thumbs down)
3 Bluecoats 92.775 (thumbs down)
4 Carolina Crown 91.525 (thumbs down)
5 Boston Crusaders 89.950 (thumbs up)
6 The Cavaliers 89.925 (thumbs down)
7 The Cadets 87.487 (thumbs down)
8 Blue Stars 86.250 (thumbs down)
9 Blue Knights (thumbs down)

I think this has to do with narrative - I'm not connecting with the stories in any of the shows - I'm just not finding a lot to engage/excite me....

OK...I'm glad you put a thumbs up to BAC...but c'mon now everyone else down...I don't agree with that at all...there is usually SOMETHING to like in EVERY SHOW from 1st to last

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, tedrick said:

so this is just not a very good season - show wise --- from a basic entertainment stand point --

simple thumbs up/thumbs down rating of the shows:

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.675 (thumbs down)
2 Blue Devils 93.250 (thumbs down)
3 Bluecoats 92.775 (thumbs down)
4 Carolina Crown 91.525 (thumbs down)
5 Boston Crusaders 89.950 (thumbs up)
6 The Cavaliers 89.925 (thumbs down)
7 The Cadets 87.487 (thumbs down)
8 Blue Stars 86.250 (thumbs down)
9 Blue Knights (thumbs down)

I think this has to do with narrative - I'm not connecting with the stories in any of the shows - I'm just not finding a lot to engage/excite me....

I seriously don't know how anyone can thumbs down SCV, Bluecoats or BD. But, your opinion is your opinion. The others, I'm in agreement with (except Cavaliers and Blue Stars - great shows).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bachstrad said:

Maybe re-runs of Golden Girls and a looping tape of BAC will do the job ... 

2 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

So the only show you connected with was about being stranded, lost and needing help?

BRUTAL!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

So the only show you connected with was about being stranded, lost and needing help?

To be fair, in 2016 I literally only logged into Flo finals week (or DCI back then, not sure which one) to watch SCV and Bluecoats. I literally didn't like any other show that year. It happens.

Edited by queenanne_1536

13 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Analyzing the scores tonight is fascinating. BD is closing in on SCV. They had a good night in Music Analysis 2, placing 1st and SCV placing 3rd and BD is right there percussion. BD also beat out SCV in the visual caption. To me, I think the key factor in SCV getting the title hands down is how the well the Color Guard scores for SCV.

I expect SCV to boost the SCV Guard book by finals with the ending.

BD 4th in Brass, wow.

Cavies guard do that bad tonight? Or judging have a bad night?

It's clear that Crown's visual and GE captions is costing their hopes of a title. I think design not execution as the issue.

Bluecoats Achilles heel is the Music, especially percussion. I love Rarick's percussion book, judges don't seem too keen on it. I find that interesting.

posted from the DrumScorps app

I agree with that assumption! 

• Like 1

i don't care to look at recaps, but i'm really curious about how bd is so close to scv

i feel like bd isn't even coming close to performing their show well, so i assume they're getting a lot of credit for content in a lot of caption?

i have a hard time seeing bd's show as a winning show even if they max it out, and don't get mad at me. i've been a pretty big bd homer on here for over a decade. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Two words: Debbie Torchia. 

She either loves or hates a guard.  She loves Blue Devils and she put The Cavaliers in seventh.

Cavies got "torched"