DCI Southeastern Regional - July 28, 2018

41 minutes ago, DCIdad said:

Scheduled to attend final in. 2 1/2 weeks. For the experts out there who have seen all of the shows live, break it to me gently, how likely are Mandies to make finals. I can't bear the heartbreak if they don't after all the buildup this season. We attended San Antonio and thought their show was great. From a novices perspective I've actually been quite disappointed with the placement in the regionals.

But if your schedule has you coming to Indy in 2.5 weeks, you'll likely be heartbroken regardless of Mandarins having made finals.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DCIdad said:

haha...Aug 11th or whenever...isn't that abt 2 1/2 weeks? I guess it is less than 2 weeks away now.

You’re not alone. Everyone feels the summer is passing too quickly. I want Indy to be at least a month from now. It takes forever for the season to begin but it’s over in a flash.

• Like 1

What did everyone think of the sound in the new stadium?  For me I thought it had less echo than the former dome, and better than LOS and Alamodome as well.  But perhaps its all about seat placement.

I sat in section 238, about 45 yard line in the club level.  Was very pleased with the quality of the sound in that section.  How as the sound and echo where you sat?

Overall spectacular facility.  I'd be in favor of moving finals to Atlanta in the future!  (ok, local convenience is a factor too...). 

8 hours ago, tedrick said:

so this is just not a very good season - show wise --- from a basic entertainment stand point --

simple thumbs up/thumbs down rating of the shows:

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.675 (thumbs down)
2 Blue Devils 93.250 (thumbs down)
3 Bluecoats 92.775 (thumbs down)
4 Carolina Crown 91.525 (thumbs down)
5 Boston Crusaders 89.950 (thumbs up)
6 The Cavaliers 89.925 (thumbs down)
7 The Cadets 87.487 (thumbs down)
8 Blue Stars 86.250 (thumbs down)
9 Blue Knights (thumbs down)

I think this has to do with narrative - I'm not connecting with the stories in any of the shows - I'm just not finding a lot to engage/excite me....

Wow!  I think this is the strongest season since 1991.  Last year was the worst for me.  The only show that wowed me was SCV.  This season is  completely different.  Even the corps fighting to get that last spot in finals this year have shows that I will watch over and over again during the off season.  The only shows that I will probably won't watch again are from Phantom and Scouts. But the rest will be on my TV frequently.

Seems that I'm the glass half full guy and you think it's empty.   

Just curious here, What's your favorite year for really good shows?

Edited by bluesman
grammar
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, steeldrum said:

What did everyone think of the sound in the new stadium?  For me I thought it had less echo than the former dome, and better than LOS and Alamodome as well.  But perhaps its all about seat placement.

I sat in section 238, about 45 yard line in the club level.  Was very pleased with the quality of the sound in that section.  How as the sound and echo where you sat?

Overall spectacular facility.  I'd be in favor of moving finals to Atlanta in the future!  (ok, local convenience is a factor too...). 

I found the sound good except when the corps were at full volume ... then it just became blatty (if that's not a word, I'm copyrighting it as my own).  I was row 9 in section 128 so I was definitely in the blast zone.  I watched Bluecoats from the field level bar and the sound there was good ... but I think most of the volume was going over my head (literally).

5 hours ago, DCIdad said:

Scheduled to attend final in. 2 1/2 weeks. For the experts out there who have seen all of the shows live, break it to me gently, how likely are Mandies to make finals. I can't bear the heartbreak if they don't after all the buildup this season. We attended San Antonio and thought their show was great. From a novices perspective I've actually been quite disappointed with the placement in the regionals.

I'd give them a better than 85% chance. Some of the corps below them are improving VERY quickly (Knock, knock!!!), but so are they!

In fact, I think they have a very strong chance of passing PR (OK, I hope and wish, too, but I don't think many people would be surprised if they do).

8 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree with WarriorWay . From a musical and visual standpoint, BD's show is just stronger. BD has a better drill than Bluecoats, a better color guard, and a better concept. I enjoy Bluecoats show, but the props are distracting and they do absolutely nothing interesting with them. I can see why BD is beating them, and I expect that to continue through finals. At the end of the day, Bluecoats will probably get bronze, which is a lot better than their placement last year. From a show perspective, the 2018 show is my least favorite since 2013. 

Bluecoats do absolutely nothing interesting with their props? 

SMH

The venue was very very nice! Was in the Club section and enjoyed the field view availability. 

Bloo’s  soloist was excellent. Bloo delivered a strong show but I felt BD’s concept was better. However, some of BD’s show borrowed from other BD shows and trotting out the same hair flings, rites of spring, and weight shifting drills repeatedly costs them points in my book  

SCV tasted fresh  -  fresh concept, unis and dance moves  

• Like 3

Gee color guard and percussion scores all over the place between last 3 meetings of the top 6. Big jump in percussion and CG for BD from just the night before- .25 and .45 respectively. Also Bluecoats 1 in GE2 from one judge and 3 from another.

Not complaining about the judges or particular judging but with races this close it will probably come down to who is judging... especially for say 5/6 8/9 and 12/13

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1