DCI Southeastern Regional - July 28, 2018

Watched a video of Spirit's encore, and I must say that while I quite enjoyed it, that was quite the echo/reverb chamber...

Enjoy!

Sight lines in the stadium are not good for a drum corps show.  I was sitting on the fifty,  club level section 237, row 3.    If you sat upright normal  in your seat you could only see the hash mark out portion of field.  Many people complained about having to lean forward  in order to watch the corps.   If you were unfortunate to  have a large person sitting in front of you like me you saw less of the field.   If I wanted to see the front ensembles  or drum major podiums I had to look at the overhead video screens.  Club level experience was great (they keep out non club ticket holders) however they did run out of food before the last intermission.  I didn't have any issues with sound.   With the souvie's set up outside most people didn't go by when they left hurting sales post show.   I rode MARTA to and from the event.  Overall  I would rate the  DCI Southeastern Championship a ***** event.   

On 7/29/2018 at 1:11 AM, 27Socal said:

For finals, they are changing it to the version of the painting that has Humphrey Bogart, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean and Elvis.  That's a real painting from 1984 called 'Boulevard of broken dreams".

Dogs playing poker...now that's a challenge. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 11:22 AM, dcifanforlife said:

Sight lines in the stadium are not good for a drum corps show.  I was sitting on the fifty,  club level section 237, row 3.    If you sat upright normal  in your seat you could only see the hash mark out portion of field.  Many people complained about having to lean forward  in order to watch the corps.   If you were unfortunate to  have a large person sitting in front of you like me you saw less of the field.   If I wanted to see the front ensembles  or drum major podiums I had to look at the overhead video screens.  Club level experience was great (they keep out non club ticket holders) however they did run out of food before the last intermission.  I didn't have any issues with sound.   With the souvie's set up outside most people didn't go by when they left hurting sales post show.   I rode MARTA to and from the event.  Overall  I would rate the  DCI Southeastern Championship a ***** event.   

When the Falcons/ATL Stadium authority released 3D renderings of the stadium, I could tell right away that sight lines were going to be crap.

For anyone who went: how was the sound/acoustics in your area? If you've been to Indy, how does it compare?

My first and only Indy experience last year was pretty awful, and resolve to only go there if I score tickets between the 40s or if I snag a staff pass. Wondering if ATL might be a better option ...

1 hour ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

When the Falcons/ATL Stadium authority released 3D renderings of the stadium, I could tell right away that sight lines were going to be crap.

For anyone who went: how was the sound/acoustics in your area? If you've been to Indy, how does it compare?

My first and only Indy experience last year was pretty awful, and resolve to only go there if I score tickets between the 40s or if I snag a staff pass. Wondering if ATL might be a better option ...

We were in section 233. row 10. This is club level but about the 10 yard line. That section is on an angle in so I have to say there was not a problem with sight lines. I was surprised to read here that section 237 was not good as those are the seats I would most likely want in the future. I did go up to the 3rd level and the angle up there is straight down so that is probably the best sight lines in that stadium. 

However, the sound from where we were (section 233) was not good.... muffled and bouncing. Technical passages were not real clean unless it was Crown. 

4 minutes ago, StarOrg said:

We were in section 233. row 10. This is club level but about the 10 yard line. That section is on an angle in so I have to say there was not a problem with sight lines. I was surprised to read here that section 237 was not good as those are the seats I would most likely want in the future. I did go up to the 3rd level and the angle up there is straight down so that is probably the best sight lines in that stadium. 

However, the sound from where we were (section 233) was not good.... muffled and bouncing. Technical passages were not real clean unless it was Crown. 

I had a similar experience in section 339. We were nosebleed high right on the 50 and the view was great, but the sound was horrible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

We were in 130 (lower level, 30 yard line) about 20 rows up. The sound was OK as long as the brass was able to overpower anything being amplified at a low frequency. Corps that used a lot of electronic bass ("thunderous goo") became a thunderous mess of an echo that covered up anything quieter than fff

I will say that noise from the concourse was non-existent where we were sitting, which was a VAST improvement over the Georgia Dome. In the lower level, the portals are either at the very top of the level, or down very close to the bottom. The bottom portals are at the top of a fairly steep flight of stairs, coming from the Delta 360 club, so there's not as much foot traffic. I don't recall how the upper portals were configured (we always came in from the bottom), so the upper rows of the bottom sections may have heard the foot traffic more than we did (which was zero).

The Georgia locations are my only DCI experiences with indoor venues, so I can't make any other comparisons (Indy or elsewhere).

29 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

We were in 130 (lower level, 30 yard line) about 20 rows up. The sound was OK as long as the brass was able to overpower anything being amplified at a low frequency. Corps that used a lot of electronic bass ("thunderous goo") became a thunderous mess of an echo that covered up anything quieter than fff

I will say that noise from the concourse was non-existent where we were sitting, which was a VAST improvement over the Georgia Dome. In the lower level, the portals are either at the very top of the level, or down very close to the bottom. The bottom portals are at the top of a fairly steep flight of stairs, coming from the Delta 360 club, so there's not as much foot traffic. I don't recall how the upper portals were configured (we always came in from the bottom), so the upper rows of the bottom sections may have heard the foot traffic more than we did (which was zero).

The Georgia locations are my only DCI experiences with indoor venues, so I can't make any other comparisons (Indy or elsewhere).

The setup at Mercedes is completely different from the old GA Dome. So the upper portion of the lower sections are not "wide open" to all that noise you had at the Dome. There are more walls and entrances down into sections. There is probably some noise at the top of those but nothing like how bad it was at the old Dome. 

We were in the top row (row 35) of section 128c.  The sound was pretty good for an indoor stadium, far superior to the Georgia Dome and I would rate it better than Lucas Oil.  As other's have mentioned, no concourse noise!!  As far as section 128C....WOW!  The Delta Club and the field level access were incredible!  Such a cool experience!  Nothing like getting a refill on my bloody mary and standing 10 feet in front of the pit while enjoying it!  The amenities in MBS are just ridiculous.  $2 for all the soda one could handle, $2 for a big bag of popcorn...I could go on and on about all the food options.  AND THE STAFF!!  WOW!!  They were everywhere and everyone I came in contact with with extremely helpful and courteous.  While standing at field level watching Atlanta CV perform (and enjoying one of my beverages!), I had the pleasure to speak with one of the ushers who had never seen a drum corps and she was LOVING it.  When I explained how the night would progress with the level of quality, she didn't believe me that it would get any better.  It was really neat to see someone getting such joy out of the activity.

I'm a little concerned about the future.  I'm sure that the costs to rent the stadium increased significantly over the Georgia Dome.  I see that BOA is not returning there this fall, instead opting for a smaller regional at a suburban high school.  Anyone know why?

Overall-we were really impressed with every aspect of the day and can't wait to do it again soon.  (Selfishly I'd love for finals to be in ATL!!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1