DCI Southeastern Regional - July 28, 2018

What happened to the BD snare?  They had 9 in Pasadena.  Now they have 8;

Was walking back to the hotel after the show and commented to The Son:  there were certain places in BD's show where I literally couldn't hear the brass above the mallets in the speakers -- which were directly in front of me (about the 10 yd line).  A random person walking along with us agreed and commented about the lack of balance between the brass and the pit. When the pit went to cymbals and percussion, all was fine. But mallets and synths -- no.

EDIT:  There were 2 other Corps with speakers spread out to the 10 yd lines (one with a subwoofer), but it wasn't BD.  Their speaker was on about the 20-25, but I was surprised at the volume it was cranking out seeing as how I was sitting outside of it and it was pointing inwards and I could still hear it clearly.

A BD homer would just say they just invest in great equipment. LOL

Edited by CrownBariDad
Clarification

Quick thoughts from seeing it all live:

Wow!

Out of the top 20 corps, I am looking forward to seeing around 18-19 of them again. I've NEVER said that. EVER!

The selfish part of me wants there to be 15 corps performing on Saturday night so I'm hoping for a 4 way tie for 12th on semis...

Mandarins, welcome to Saturday night! Adding you to my list of corps I'm eager to see next year.

Cadets, don't let this years placement affect what you guys do in the years to come. Great show!

Cavs, I wasn't surprised with the placement tonight but won't be surprised if it's only for tonight.

Boston, hated the change to the soft ending...until seeing the changes done to it tonight. Great show!

Crown, great run with a great crowd reaction. Love the changes to the ending! #crowndrums

Bluecoats, I love the end of the opener and the ballad. Not a fan of the rest of the show but my god you are good!

Blue Devils, Wow! This is honestly a dangerous show. I've locked SCV into getting the Gold for weeks now but tonight was the first time I thought they COULD be caught. Not saying it'll happen but I honestly won't be surprised now after seeing BD tonight.

SCV, just a cool show. You don't know the story or theme? It doesn't matter one bit. It's pure entertainment. And wow are they clean. And Rennick strikes again...

This was a GREAT venue.

See everyone in Indy...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from the show, had a blast. Great shows top to bottom this year.

Madison, you may be in 16th but you really entertained me.

I saw the top 12 pretty much as the judges scored it, although I might have put Crown a hair above Bloo.

Devils closed the gap tonight, but I feel they've almost maxed the cleanliness of this show and Vanguard should be able to stay on top as they a little room left to improve.

I went off to watch a movie with the family right before BD stepped off so lots to catch up to in this thread, but just gonna say I'm very ready for BD to break some hearts on finals night :thumbup:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

Any news/word/buzz about the SCV tuba hole? Injury related? 

Have it on good authority that the tuba is out on "concussion protocol".   That's right.  Concussion protocol.  I guess everything has that now.  It's only for 1 or 2 shows, then will be back in the show.  Happened as the the result of a collision with another tuba.  Good that it's for a short time and won't affect finals.

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I went off to watch a movie with the family right before BD stepped off so lots to catch up to in this thread, but just gonna say I'm very ready for BD to break some hearts on finals night :thumbup:

It happened in 1980.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

What happened to the BD snare?  They had 9 in Pasadena.  Now they have 8;

He dropped out in LA due to a medical condition.  Will not be returning.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

so this is just not a very good season - show wise --- from a basic entertainment stand point --

simple thumbs up/thumbs down rating of the shows:

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.675 (thumbs down)
2 Blue Devils 93.250 (thumbs down)
3 Bluecoats 92.775 (thumbs down)
4 Carolina Crown 91.525 (thumbs down)
5 Boston Crusaders 89.950 (thumbs up)
6 The Cavaliers 89.925 (thumbs down)
7 The Cadets 87.487 (thumbs down)
8 Blue Stars 86.250 (thumbs down)
9 Blue Knights (thumbs down)

I think this has to do with narrative - I'm not connecting with the stories in any of the shows - I'm just not finding a lot to engage/excite me....

One of the better years of DCI! - so many outstanding shows - from artistic to abstract! 

No thumbs up/thumbs down rating of the shows: I'll let you decide, no snarky comments from me ;) 

1. Santa Clara Vanguard 93.675 - Babylon - "in a time when words fail, music and movement become the foundation upon which to communicate, and serve as the building blocks to once again unite humanity using steel boxes that more around the field".

2. Blue Devils 93.250 - Dreams and Nighthawks - based and inspired entirely in a painting done by Edward Hopper, called "Nighthawks." The instantly recognizable painting depicts four people sitting in a diner at night. "In a whirlwind of puzzle pieces, a cast of characters assembles a plot line of timeless speculation. A conversation of where, when, and why unfolds to a contemporary, eclectic soundtrack from John Adams to Carole King to Simon Dobson, with props that move to depict the painting at the end".

3. Bluecoats 92.775 - Session 44 - Based on a Billie Holliday recording session this show is accompanied by paintbrush strokes of bright colors, a hasty drum beat, and some lazy growl tones from the brass, the screen fills with name after name of jazz greats and they use big chairs as props.

4. Carolina Crown 91.525 - Beast - Is it a monster? Are we all the beast? Who cares, the show is a true beast with great, loud and technical music and drill, with bones on the field and platform that teeter totters. 

5. Boston Crusaders - 89.950 - SOS - Lost (tv show) meets DCI set to the music of Amazing Grace, complicated drill with stunning visuals, they even spell out words on the field and that platform that they used last year is back, I guess they needed a lifeline. 

6. Cavaliers - 89.925 - On Madness and Creativity - Maurice Ravel and Rufus Wainwright interwoven to Rorschach visuals, I am still trying to picture it. 

7. The Cadets - 87.487 - The Unity Project - The show reveals that it was largely inspired by a quote from Mahatma Gandhi which says: "unity, to be real, must stand the severest strain without breaking."Using a mix of original music with contemporary,  the show is following "a trajectory and evolution from disjunction to cohesion, through the synergy of design and performers coming together, minus GH."

8. Blue Stars - 86.250 - The Once and Future Carpenter - The show uses music related to and revolving around trade skills like woodworking and metalworking and includes music from the Carpenters, sponsored by HomeDepot, this show is a visual work in progress and under construction. 

9. Blue Knights - 85.925 - Fall and Rise - The show takes inspiration from the sun god Ra "as a springboard to go deeper and explore the invincible human spirit." From the description on the corps' website, the show will be another high-brow concept, but with some easily understandable imagery to set the stage, which include several pyramids.

I think I fixed the original post, If not, then someone moved it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brassboy said:

I'd swap Crown and BD on your list, but otherwise I'm the same.

2 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I wouldn't Crown plays and drums better

Too bad that's just 2/11 subcaptions!

• Like 1