DCI Southeastern Regional - July 28, 2018

Just now, 27Socal said:

Does Phantom's hornline sound a little thin?   Maybe it's the Flo mic positions. 

I think it's the arrangements.  Flo's sound problems make it worse.

Phantom Regiment is kind of painful for me this year.  I'm not sure if I'm alone on this.  Their guard bleeds into the field, which is so strange to me, because PR were kind of the pioneers when it comes to costume changes and all (think "Rhapsody" in 2005).  This year's show falls so very flat to me.  But I do really enjoy the ballad.  It just feels very mediocre to me overall, which makes me sad.  I'm sure they will have a great comeback next year, but this year is kind of really depressing to me.  I don't understand their "monkey bars" at all.  The show just doesn't live up to the BEAUTY that we all think of when thinking of the Regiment.  Very flat for me.

8 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Crossmen were good. Not my kind of show when compared to mandarins, but fantastic regardless.

I don’t get Manderins placing so high. They never move. First two minutes they stand still. In the ballled they stand still and don’t play. Very good book, well played but ya gotta move a little. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Does Phantom's hornline sound a little thin?   Maybe it's the Flo mic positions.

I was actually thinking the same thing, and it was most noticeable in the opening brass moments of the ballad.  It's one of my favorite moments of the year, but good lord those trumpets need to get it together.  Some very harsh sounding stuff in what is otherwise a very delicate moment.

2 minutes ago, r_karlsson said:

The show just doesn't live up to the BEAUTY that we all think of when thinking of the Regiment.  Very flat for me.

I agree..classical elegance and beauty are missing...

• Like 1