What works and what doesn’t work

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I actually love the concept of the twerk off, but it really wasn't as cool as I thought it'd be. When I heard the hype about it, I expected more...

I agree. I actually think that moment is the weakest of the show. Maybe if the hornline did the dancing while the guard spun/tossed equipment?

7 minutes ago, RedJazz1900 said:

I agree. I actually think that moment is the weakest of the show. Maybe if the hornline did the dancing while the guard spun/tossed equipment?

But that would be against the spirit of the piece. The unified dance is meant to represent the coming together of peoples who had heretofore been unable to communicate with each other (see Babel, Tower of).  This leads to the jubilant celebration of the final movement. 

And, good heavens, they are not twerking! SCV is much too classy for that low-down Miley stuff. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, quietcity said:

But that would be against the spirit of the piece. The unified dance is meant to represent the coming together of peoples who had heretofore been unable to communicate with each other (see Babel, Tower of).  This leads to the jubilant celebration of the final movement. 

And, good heavens, they are not twerking! SCV is much too classy for that low-down Miley stuff. 

Fair enough— that’s a true point based on the background of the show. I just wish there was a bit more visual impact while being true to the story!

15 minutes ago, quietcity said:

That must be some other story.  They could understand each other, then (see Babel, Tower of) God made them not able to communicate with each other.  Or does your Bible say differently?  They story you tell is just backwards.  The Babel story (Genesis 11:1-9) is how we got different languages, not how languages became the same.

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

That must be some other story.  They could understand each other, then (see Babel, Tower of) God made them not able to communicate with each other.  Or does your Bible say differently?  They story you tell is just backwards.  The Babel story (Genesis 11:1-9) is how we got different languages, not how languages became the same.

I am simply citing SCV's source and interpretation. I am not responsible for the ensuing heterodoxy. 

SCV - WHAT WORKS..... The energy level.  They make me feel like I just got punched in the face...but in a good way.   WHAT DOESN'T  Field coverage or lack thereof.  The field is Drum Corps canvas and the artist only painted part of it.  The dance thing goes on way too long.

DEVILS - WHAT WORKS.... I Feel Like a Natural Woman.   WHAT DOESN'T...... None of the the transitions work.   The show feels like a care driven by someone who has never used a standard transmission before.

BLUECOATS - WHAT WORKS.... Everything!  At least everything was working until..... WHAT DOESN'T  ..... the changes.  The flow of one of my all time favorite shows  has been interrupted by strangely placed drum solos, tuba features and an added vocal something or other..

CROWN - WHAT WORKS.... They finally have a great drum line to match there already incredible brass.   WHAT DOES'T.... Not BEASTLY enough!   Don't tell me your'e a beast then hold may hand all night.  The show especially after the ballad needs to get much nastier.  I suggest asking Phantom if you can borrow a couple of gallons of blood from one of their old shows.

CAVALIERS - WHAT WORKS  OH, What a World.  I know a lot of people don't like or understand it, but I think it's one of the most fabulous things ever.  I like the use of the tarps as well.  WHAT DOESN'T..... If you're going to do something campy and fun like "Oh, What a World" then you have to be fully committed.  You can see the lack of commitment on some members faces.  

Edited by bluesman
tense
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2018 at 4:06 PM, quietcity said:

I am not responsible for the ensuing heterodoxy. 

:babies:

Caption:    Language 

— Proficiency —

Content    Achvmnt    Total

10.0            10.0         20.0

— Analysis —

Comp       Achvmnt    Total

10.0            10.0          20.0

Judge’s Recording: “I found the use of the obtuse term and its juxtaposition to the preceding verb to be absolutely sublime. If you ever market a T-shirt with this phrase emblazoned on it, I will buy several. Bravo!”

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, bluesman said:

SCV - WHAT WORKS..... The energy level.  They make me feel like I just got punched in the face...but in a good way.   WHAT DOESN'T  Field coverage or lack thereof.  The field is Drum Corps canvas and the artist only painted part of it.  The dance thing goes on way too long.

DEVILS - WHAT WORKS.... I Feel Like a Natural Woman.   WHAT DOESN'T...... None of the the transitions work.   The show feels like a care driven by someone who has never used a standard transmission before.

BLUECOATS - WHAT WORKS.... Everything!  At least everything was working until..... WHAT DOESN'T  ..... the changes.  The flow of one of my all time favorite shows  has been interrupted by strangely placed drum solos, tuba features and an added vocal something or other..

CROWN - WHAT WORKS.... They finally have a great drum line to completely there already incredible brass.   WHAT DOES'T.... Not BEASTLY enough!   Don't tell me your'e a beast then hold may hand all night.  The show especially after the ballad needs to get much nastier.  I suggest asking Phantom if you can borrow a couple of gallons of blood from one of their old shows.

CAVALIERS - WHAT WORKS  OH, What a World.  I know a lot of people don't like or understand it, but I think it's one of the most fabulous things ever.  I like the use of the tarps as well.  WHAT DOESN'T..... If you're going to do something campy and fun like "Oh, What a World" then you have to be fully committed.  You can see the lack of commitment on some members faces.  

Wow, I couldn't agree more with every single one of these. Especially Bluecoats, their changes make me sad :sad:

The Cadets:

What Works:  The uniforms. Call them the Chocolate Raspberry Shortcake Cadets if you must, but IMO they are stunning.  

What Doesn’t:  The vocal ensemble...please, for the love of Charlton Heston beating the sand and damning humanity to hell in the last 45 seconds of “Planet of the Apes”, make it stop. 

Edited by TRacer
Stupid Ottocorrekt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRacer said:

The Cadets:

What Works:  The uniforms. Call them the Chocolate Raspberry Shortcake Cadets if you must, but IMO they are stunning.

I've legitimately bought some Zebra Cakes at the grocery store because the Cadets reminded me of them. So they work in another sense: free marketing for Little Debbie.

• Haha 1