Would it kill you to play soft?

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

Maybe for next season -- DCI 2019: The Acoustic Set.

DCI 2019: Unplugged. I like it.

Watching all of the shows in San Antonio, there were lots of offenders, but Blue Devils were the most aggregious. We were down very low right in front of their main speaker on the right. They, of course, had numerous brass soloists. They were probably all very talented, but a mic'd horn projecting to a speaker which is also mic'd sounds very synthetic. Ruined their show for me.

We don’t go to baseball games to see everyone bunt.

We don’t go to football games to watch field goals.

We don’t go to basketball games to watch free throws.

We don’t go to NASCAR to watch cars drive slow.

We don’t go to hockey games to watch figure skating.

We don’t go to drum corps shows to hear brass lines play pianissimo.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

what even is this thread?

ban this filth.

Maybe you should tell us why you disagree with the subject of the thread?  Just because you disagree, doesn’t mean the conversation should be silenced.

• Like 1

mf = turn backfield

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

After all these years of face peeling comments here on DCP, and when the Corps oblige, now you want soft???

I've never been a fan of loud loud loud for loud's sake I know that makes me in the minority

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

We don’t go to baseball games to see everyone bunt.

We don’t go to football games to watch field goals.

We don’t go to basketball games to watch free throws.

We don’t go to NASCAR to watch cars drive slow.

We don’t go to hockey games to watch figure skating.

We don’t go to drum corps shows to hear brass lines play pianissimo.

Actually, I go to drum corps shows to see and hear talented musicians.  Playing loud all the time is not musical.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So - yes, more soft moments needed. More actual songs with beginning middle and end also needed

Along with softness the trend of playing 16 or so songs in 10 minutes is become a bit much - it's like musical arrangement by warring blender

Meanwhile judges are awarding these behaviors and telling other corps to "turn it up" (meaning the brass line or the amp) and "we've got this musical thought, move onto the next" which happens in about 30 seconds of a song starting

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I've never been a fan of loud loud loud for loud's sake I know that makes me in the minority

the purpose of loud is take make the soft passages more special & dynamic

the purpose of soft (or silence!) is to make the loud moments even more impressive

• Like 1

Everyone seems to LOVE Star 93, but they only play FFF a few times--which makes it all the more effective. Wonderfully controlled dynamic contrasts and exposed mf attacks.

See also

Cadets 85 - watching this again made my jaw drop because of the complexity and dynamic contrast. Not a lack of volume, but today's charts seem like all the short attacks and loud chords strung together. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQWtCAFFlM

Heck even everyone's standard for BALLS OUT DRUM CORPS USA USA USA! has a lot of tasty mp-mf moments. Big loud hits are better if you build them up in a musically logical and aren't doing them all show. 

To quote Doyle Gammill (RIP), "Makes it better!" And also "you gotta make sure the soft parts are really soft"

I understand that I've posted examples of some of the all-time greatest shows, but to quote Fiddler on the Roof, "Why shouldn't I want the best?" <does bottle dance> Especially since brass lines have arguably never had more depth of talent and skill than they have now.

Edited by FTNK
Makes it better!
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sideways said:

mf = turn backfield

If you would't have said it, I would have.