Would it kill you to play soft?

There are certain corps with very little dynamic contrast this year (SCV comes to mind) but there are also plenty who do have it. Not sure what you’re hearing. 

• Like 1

Just now, jeffmolnar said:

Well the ban thing was a joke, but I'm fully in the "play loud" camp.

I remember suffering through the years of other groups trying to emulate The Cavaliers' boring sound from the early 2000's. Ugh.

Never again.

Ok, I like the contrast of dynamics as makes the loud more impressive. And I'm from the 70s which kills that stereotype. IOW don't agree with if loud is good then louder is better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Correct and I would add off the line and ending end zone. I play Skyliners just nailing it off the line and new fans today can't believe they were that far from the field mic's.

Lol first show I ever saw they were blasting the backfield part of Elks Parade and it was echoing off Hersheys concrete stands.

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Maybe for next season -- DCI 2019: The Acoustic Set.

DCI Unplugged!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol first show I ever saw they were blasting the backfield part of Elks Parade and it was echoing off Hersheys concrete stands.

Nice I don't think that speaker technology back then and G Valve horns could have co-existed. Heck I ripped the fabric of my speakers just playing the records. They would need a new set for each show.

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DCIdad said:

DCI 2019: Unplugged. I like it.

Watching all of the shows in San Antonio, there were lots of offenders, but Blue Devils were the most aggregious. We were down very low right in front of their main speaker on the right. They, of course, had numerous brass soloists. They were probably all very talented, but a mic'd horn projecting to a speaker which is also mic'd sounds very synthetic. Ruined their show for me.

...well, unfortunately you were sitting in the worst place to listen to *any* modern show; in front of a main speaker array.  Since *way* back, shows have been designed with the box in mind.  The sound is directed/pointed there...speakers, horns, everything they can get that makes sounds (although field percussion isn't miked much, lol).  That's why getting a seat high, on the 50, is so desirable!  I take photos on field level, and yak up furrballs when passing in front of speakers on occasion...haha, *especially* BD!  So, next time keep in mind the thrust of what's on the field, move a mountain or two, and get a seat where you can enjoy the end result.  Oh, wait a minute, the TV and movie venues do that nicely!

• Like 1

Maybe they’re just trying to cover up their very loud generators (looking at you Cadets and your two enormous gens), that buzz in the audiences face the entire show. 

I sat sat on the side 2 35 in San Antonio and could hear more from the generators of some corps than from the speakers on side 1.

Edited by besson57

8 minutes ago, chasgroh said:

in front of a main speaker array

Yep said before wish I could move my seat depending on speaker location. Back to the fun, old time drum corps could have offered a shredding service bring your documents to the show place them in front of the speakers and they would shred them for you. The most trashed speaker award goes to (long pause) SKY. Also did anyone else notice that they need to shave more in the summer since G-Valves went away?

Would it kill you to play soft?

I'm now envisioning a situation similar to the movie Speed where bombs were planted on the instruments of corps members and playing less than forte would literally kill them. The title of this movie?

MV5BNzA4ZjI1M2ItNzBhMC00Yjk5LWFhOTYtYjhj

Edited by rcb05
  • Haha 1

I think one of the negatives about electronics is that it allows most corps the ability to artificially be as loud as any. That alone dimisnishes the impact of a truly loud brass line. If everything is loud, then what is loud?  

Electronics are to drum corps in what some ways PED’s were to Major League Baseball. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1