Mesquite, TX - July 23, 2018

14 minutes ago, Cfmninjaa said:

Ok BD guard actually did well tonight but it just isn't consistent

posted from the DrumScorps app

The only thing that is "inconsistent" is the judge who put them 6th in substance. They have been pretty dominant in guard all season except for at San Antonio

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KPinCAL said:

No scopes tonight.  Oh well

Scopes, as in John Thomas Scopes... the Scopes monkey trial guy? He didn't show up tonight? Maybe it's because he's not happy with the way Drum Corps has evolved.

• Like 1

I know it’s been covered already, but this event was a logistical nightmare:

-Huge parking lines (literally waited half an hour in line) then when lots filled up, they didn’t know where to direct you to.

-Hundreds of folks in will call line long after the event started

-Hooooo boy, the seating clusterf***. Basically they labeled the seats with stickers, but did it reverse from what was listed on the DCI site. So my 50 yard line seat I bought back in December was now on the 35.

In the end it didn’t ruin my experience, but I missed the first two corps and missed out on the “dream seats” I’d been looking forward to for months. Whoever organized this needs to not be in charge next year. Lake Highlands was a dream compared to Mesquite.

• Like 2

Attended the show tonight - was a great night of music with perfect weather! You know it’s been hot when low 90s feels kinda cool. There was a strong breeze throughout and the wind definitely had an affect on flag work for some groups. 

While it was a great night of music, the issues for first-time host Mesquite were extremely evident. I’m not sure I’ve seen more confusion over seating in my 20 years of attending DCI events. The local volunteers didn’t seem to know where to tell people to go and at times were giving conflicting information. People were frustrated but found spots to sit (usually not where their tickets were) and there was so much shuffling between corps. There were issues outside too getting in to the venue parking - it looked like lots missed quite a bit of the event just trying to get in.

I’m sure DCI will get lots of negative feedback on this one. Lake Highlands is a smaller venue for the Dallas area but it’s been part of the DCI schedule for 40+ years and is well run. Given that history I heard fans yell several times near my section that they hope it returns to Lake Highlands next year. I’m a fan of drum corps so don’t care where it is, but  hope the event can be better run.

The lineup more than made up for the issues tonight - just wanted to share what was going on from the stands!

Edited by scvphan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The only thing that is "inconsistent" is the judge who put them 6th in substance. They have been pretty dominant in guard all season except for at San Antonio

Solomon is one of the best visual judges in DCI.  He is scrupulously unbiased. 

• Like 1

I know you can't make a big deal out of scores from different events, but The Academy is within striking distance of Crossmen.  The Academy scored 81.150 and Crossmen scored 81.350 tonight.   I think Crossmen might end up not making finals.

28 minutes ago, karuna said:

Solomon is one of the best visual judges in DCI.  He is scrupulously unbiased. 

I didn’t say he was biased, I hate tin foil hats. 

I’m just saying he is an outlier in his opinion 

2 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

It was. He pulled it out as soon as natural woman started

My guess is that the glass breaking guard feature requires some sort of extra listening/timing challenge? In a BD360 video it was mentioned that all the sounds being made during that section don’t have distinct counts. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the spacial demands in the opener. It’s at a very abrupt and fast tempo and the whole corps is spread out across the back of the field. If the center snare possibly has an earpiece as well, it may be a way to help prevent any ensemble tears between the pit and battery

idk I’m just spitballing, I’m as clueless as you are