Mesquite, TX - July 23, 2018

3 hours ago, scvphan said:

Attended the show tonight - was a great night of music with perfect weather! You know it’s been hot when low 90s feels kinda cool. There was a strong breeze throughout and the wind definitely had an affect on flag work for some groups. 

While it was a great night of music, the issues for first-time host Mesquite were extremely evident. I’m not sure I’ve seen more confusion over seating in my 20 years of attending DCI events. The local volunteers didn’t seem to know where to tell people to go and at times were giving conflicting information. People were frustrated but found spots to sit (usually not where their tickets were) and there was so much shuffling between corps. There were issues outside too getting in to the venue parking - it looked like lots missed quite a bit of the event just trying to get in.

I’m sure DCI will get lots of negative feedback on this one. Lake Highlands is a smaller venue for the Dallas area but it’s been part of the DCI schedule for 40+ years and is well run. Given that history I heard fans yell several times near my section that they hope it returns to Lake Highlands next year. I’m a fan of drum corps so don’t care where it is, but  hope the event can be better run.

The lineup more than made up for the issues tonight - just wanted to share what was going on from the stands!

Couldn't agree more. My friend and I paid $60 to be on the 45 yd ln to find out that they had messed up the seating, so we were forced to sit near the 20 yd ln. The people around us also had the same issues.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Alzam81 said:

DCI should really consider broadcasting every show.. multi-camera/high production for large shows (TOC, regionals, etc), and a single camera broadcast for the rest of the shows.  I would pay top dollar to keep up on all shows.  

The amount of #####ing people do here about flo imagine a whole season of it. 

5 hours ago, bluesman said:

I know you can't make a big deal out of scores from different events, but The Academy is within striking distance of Crossmen.  The Academy scored 81.150 and Crossmen scored 81.350 tonight.   I think Crossmen might end up not making finals.

And Spirit is 0.35 back from the Crossmen. The race for 12th is not yet over.

• Like 5

I'll echo the others that attended.  Big cluster in the stands.  Getting inside the stadium was also a bit of a nightmare (although I found a "back" entrance and had less trouble parking than most) and with two entrances - always look for the less utilized one and you can get in faster!  Too... those that chose to show up after intermission found seating issues because the rest of us had already worked through the kinks - then we had to deal with mayhem with each new batch of newcomers.  I'm not going to advocate going back to Lake Highlands as that is exchanging one set of issues for an old set (the devil you know or the devil you don't?), but some serious improvements will be required at this venue if it's going to be successful going forward (Captain Obvious at your service).  All that said - it was a BIG crowd and no space for marching members to settle in once their shows were complete.

First time this year to catch shows live for me. 

• Crown does not come off as well on the Tubes of You as they do in person. 
  • Vanguard is on fire, I do believe it's a race for second if they just keep cleaning and adding minimal upgrades. 
  • I don't generally enjoy Blue Devils, but some of the show really worked for me last night. 
  • Bluecoats are a lot of fun, I am pulling for them to grab silver. 
  • Cavaliers - I'll remain positive and observe that their brass sounds better than it has in years!
  • Welcome back Spirit - I liked this door show better than the Cadets :)
  • Interesting design choices with Troopers - brass was a bit off last night
  • Cascades - one of the most fun (and well executed) 10th place shows (outside of Finals) I've seen - the low score has no bearing on the enjoyment of what they are doing
  • Genesis has grown up since I last saw them - they had some really nice moments
  • And hooray for health in The Academy - I feel smarter for watching their really well executed show

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gjj63 said:

Irrelevant - different shows. 

Holds about the same relevance as the Academy and Crossmen discussion from last night's shows.

Either way, it is still a close race. WIll be interesting to see how things shape up this weekend.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The only thing that is "inconsistent" is the judge who put them 6th in substance. They have been pretty dominant in guard all season except for at San Antonio

They've been back and forth with SCV all season and Cavaliers topped them in their first 2 meetings.  Getting beat by Cavaliers at those shows left me quite confused considering the sloppy rifle work from the green team, but I think SCV is doing a larger variety of very challenging equipment work.  Blue Devils has an incredible guard and will compete for the Zingali Award, I'm just not sure they are on par with some the great guards from the corps past.

Some thoughts...

I had zero problems with Mesquite last night. Got into the parking lot with ease. Found a parking spot very quickly. Already had my tickets so I didn’t have to mess with will call. Walked the souvie tents. Talked to a friend. Caught some of the end of Cascades. Got in the seats I paid for. Did all of that and I didn’t get to the stadium until 6:55.

I thought the quality of all corps has gone up exponentially in the past 20 or so years. Wow!

Now, to step on a bit of a soap box... last year the Bluecoats pit was lambasted, and in my opinion, blackballed over their pre-show hype at DCI Minnesota that bled onto the field during SCV’s ballad. Did anyone else notice that Blue Devils were hyping it up during SCV’s ballad? Where’s the criticism?

posted from the DrumScorps app

39 minutes ago, NSUMusician said:

Now, to step on a bit of a soap box... last year the Bluecoats pit was lambasted, and in my opinion, blackballed over their pre-show hype at DCI Minnesota that bled onto the field during SCV’s ballad. Did anyone else notice that Blue Devils were hyping it up during SCV’s ballad? Where’s the criticism?

posted from the DrumScorps app

I heard a rumor that based on a common sense solution from Justin and supposedly agreed to by Gibbs and DiCarlo, Cappybara has been sent to his room for the night.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I heard a rumor that based on a common sense solution from Justin and supposedly agreed to by Gibbs and DiCarlo, Cappybara has been sent to his room for the night.

Hear, hear! Solomonic in its wisdom!

• Like 1