The State of Drum Corps

1 minute ago, wesleyrp said:

And now? I don’t think DCI and the individual drum corps and products have been better. This season totally shows us how much parity

Totally agree. The level of musicianship has been outstanding. We might not see a record breaking score this year from the champion - but the mean score in the top 6 may break the record. All could be 94+.

• Like 2

And for that matter the corps I’m the 13-15range probably deserve to score in the upper 80s, but likely won’t 

I know I'm biased, but if you're (the general "you") ignoring Open Class, you're missing out on some *great* corps and performances.  The stuff they're doing these days puts a lot of lower WC corps from years/decades past to shame.

Mike

• Like 8

And as for WC, I spent a wonderful evening in the cheap seats with MMs watching the shows from the end zone and had a blast!  Athletically, these corps are on a whole other level from anything DCI has seen before.

Mike

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, Jake W. said:

I rolled my eyes when I saw the topic name and thought to myself, godd*mnit, another dino clogging up the message boards with a thread opining the current state of drum corps when there is SO MUCH to love this season.  

I'm the T-Rex from the original Jurassic Park movie and you're the guy that was eaten alive while hiding in the out-house.

Drum Corps T-Rex's and Raptor's feed on all you "Artsy Fartsy Sunshine Pumper" types that live and breathe current Marching Musical Theater International. 

BTW, we're the one's rolling our eyes.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:      

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sat front and center in Massillon last year... my husband (who was a member of a DCI finalist corps in 01) said "wow...I don't think our show would have made the top 15 this year"

I agree- the level of musicianship and athleticism has gotten ridiculously good...and the variety of show styles keeps it interesting too. This might also be the first year where I like all of the top 6 shows...there is usually 1 that I don't like at all and 1 or 2 more that I am lukewarm about. That being said there isn't really a show that captures my heart or that I am obsessed with yet... I am sure that will change by finals week when I see them live (loved Bloo the whole season  but it was Boston who stole my heart in Massillon last year).

I am still meh on the costumes and generally not a fan of singing though...there are oh...1 or 2 shows ever that I think singing has added to the product.

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly agree. The stuff these kids are doing today is so far ahead of where we were even a decade ago, it’s really incredible to witness.

I do think some of the rules could stand to be reigned in a bit though. I still hate narration, particularly the poetry mumble crap The Cavaliers shoehorn into their show every year. It’s just cheesy, and undermines the performances of the members. Also I like my hats, please and thank you.

Still, DCI is really impressive today.