The State of Drum Corps

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

We are the reason building to where we are today. History makes us who we are. I believe we are today's drum corps because If not for what we did in the past it wouldn't be here today. I think we are and have always been a part of what we see today.. 

Ok, I can buy that. 

• Like 1

There are only two things I really do not like, only two: over-amplification and playing prerecorded music during your show and claiming it as a part of your show. I sort of get and can sort of accept prerecorded narration and sound effects, but playing music from another recording artist and saying it’s a part of our music performance should never be allowed.

Bluecoats recorded their own corps for the pitch bend, that was borderline. Playing Michael Jackson during a drum corps performance is just not cool and I find it hard to believe that a corps would choose to do it.

Im sure there are many if not most here who will vehemently disagree with me, but I know I am not alone in this opinion.

• Like 3

There is one particular change that completely baffles me.  I marched with a vibraphone strapped to my back with Memphis Blues in 1981 so the introduction of the pit in 1982 allowed me to put that beast down.  Drill designers were thrilled as well.  

So what has happened to the pit?  It's still there, but now the brass and color guard are in it while planted front ensemble is on the field..... kinda.  Was the football field so small and limiting that it had to be annexed by the entire corps?  There was a lack of good field coverage already.... so laying claim to the pit by visual designers makes no sense to me.  

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

There are only two things I really do not like, only two: over-amplification and playing prerecorded music during your show and claiming it as a part of your show. I sort of get and can sort of accept prerecorded narration and sound effects, but playing music from another recording artist and saying it’s a part of our music performance should never be allowed.

Bluecoats recorded their own corps for the pitch bend, that was borderline. Playing Michael Jackson during a drum corps performance is just not cool and I find it hard to believe that a corps would choose to do it.

Im sure there are many if not most here who will vehemently disagree with me, but I know I am not alone in this opinion.

I am in full agreement with you. If I am correct, Bluecoats start the show with a recording of Billie Holiday (Please correct me if I am wrong). Somehow, to me, that's just not right but I suspect within the current rules? The young lady that they have singing is awesome and the show is so entertaining. Very much looking forward to seeing it again at finals.

Another example is SCV. I was at both TX shows last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed both events. There is no doubt in my mind that SCV will be champions come August Finals, the show is fantastic. However, I was a shade disappointed, at what,  in my own opinion, appeared to be the abuse of electronic sound manipulation. Everyone uses electronics, I know that, but this seemed to be on a different level to all the other corps but I could be wrong. Even sat on the 50 yard line in an open air stadium in Katy TX, I could not differentiate between horns that were in the back, middle or front of the field. It was impossible for me to pick out any individual horn sounds? it was as if all the sound that we received in the stands was manipulated in almost real time. Their hornline was also significantly louder than everyone else, when required, and to me the sound was different somehow to anything I have heard before. The rimshots from the battery were twice as loud, when appropriate, than any other corps, which again I found to be strange. So much so that it begged the question of what and how much of the corps is miked and what is happening to the true sound? Maybe it was just the stadium or my hearing on that one night. Maybe SCV will win this year's High Electronics caption? What do I know? it is just an opinion

Edited by Mead09
  • Like 2

Yeah, it's not just that the amplification of brass was unnecessary it is confusing.  Sitting in front of a soloist, but hearing the sound come from a speaker 20 yards away is like watching a ventriloquist throwing his voice.  It makes me go all Nancy Kerrigan and scream whyyyyy, whyyyy, but not quite as pretty..

Edited by bluesman
tense
  • Haha 1

Some of these shows are large show. Nashville is a huge show. Okay, some amplification may be acceptable. But why do the greatest bands in the world need to triple their audio output?! I loved Nashville last year except for the amplification, which ruined many aspects of otherwise amazing performances.

32 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Some of these shows are large show. Nashville is a huge show. Okay, some amplification may be acceptable. But why do the greatest bands in the world need to triple their audio output?! I loved Nashville last year except for the amplification, which ruined many aspects of otherwise amazing performances.

I can't help but blame amplification on all the people who moaned for years about the move away from G bugles. You wanted volume, you got it! 

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

So what is this, the 4th year in a row of you posting this exact same comment? LMAO

Nope we went at least 1 show each of the last 4 years.

I'm old school and I have my issues with the WGI feel of DCI these days. Still bothers me seeing drummers dancing around. But, I've adjusted and I enjoy the shows and respect what the kids are doing out there.

Parity is what's driving the activity these days in my opinion. For 20+ years it was the "Cadevaliers" and no one else winning every year, sans the two times PR won. If SCV brings it home that'll make 5 different champions in 7 years. That's great for the activity.

• Like 1