The State of Drum Corps

My gripe: Bass drum features that sound like someone is falling down steps. And many times they are completely random and unmusical...and almost every corps does them! And don't even get me started on the copycat body moves that every corps does...almost like it is now a compulsory element. And sleeveless uniform tops...oh my.

38 minutes ago, dans said:

My gripe: Bass drum features that sound like someone is falling down steps. And many times they are completely random and unmusical...and almost every corps does them! And don't even get me started on the copycat body moves that every corps does...almost like it is now a compulsory element. And sleeveless uniform tops...oh my.

Weren’t there certain things done back in the day during shows that were also “compulsory” elements? Company fronts, symmetrical drill (for some time), long dedicated drum breaks, etc. 

Each era has its own thing, it really is a matter of what you grow up used to.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Weren’t there certain things done back in the day during shows that were also “compulsory” elements?

Duh; Off The Line, Exit To Right, Timed Concert, Color Presentation, Full Retreats, Trooping the Stands. Oh how regimented we were, silly us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dans said:

Totally agree on the body movement. It is absolutely ridiculous and way over done. I keep thinking as a trend it will fade but every year it gets worse. Has an audience ever lept to it's feet in thunderous applause when a corps starts rolling around on the ground or doing that stupid "push" move or "beckoning the moon"?  OMG OMG OMG!!! Please STOP IT!!! 

Other than that, I'm good!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, biffwah said:

Has an audience ever lept to it's feet in thunderous applause when a corps starts rolling around on the ground or doing that stupid "push" move or "beckoning the moon"

Back in the old days if you wound up on the ground. They placed you on a stretcher and carried you off. Oh by the way a MM from a alumni corps in Clifton NJ last week passed out but was OK. Maybe this should be in the hazing thread it was mostly the drunks that passed out back then, I am sure not all but most. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Back in the old days if you wound up on the ground. They placed you on a stretcher and carried you off. Oh by the way a MM from a alumni corps in Clifton NJ last week passed out but was OK. Maybe this should be in the hazing thread it was mostly the drunks that passed out back then, I am sure not all but most. 

Back in the day it wasn’t a competition if at least one person didn’t pass out have have to go to the hospital. Then there were the young ladies who seemed to drop their rifles one night who had their arm in a sling the next night, but on the bus ride home she miraculously recovered!:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Back in the old days if you wound up on the ground. They placed you on a stretcher and carried you off.  

Until the Bridgemen came along anyway.

Went to one show where a couple of their members went down.

Took a little while to figure out it wasn't part of their show.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Duh; Off The Line, Exit To Right, Timed Concert, Color Presentation, Full Retreats, Trooping the Stands. Oh how regimented we were, silly us. 

Having a bad day...are we? I'm pretty sure everything you mentioned was actually in the rules of competition. I must have missed the part in the current DCI rules that mandate every corps must do the same type of bass drum feature, do the same body moves, and wear sleeveless uniform tops! You need to chilll Bluzes!

49 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Weren’t there certain things done back in the day during shows that were also “compulsory” elements? Company fronts, symmetrical drill (for some time), long dedicated drum breaks, etc. 

Each era has its own thing, it really is a matter of what you grow up used to.

Don't forget the Flag Presentation, entering from Side 1, Exit on Side 2...:winky:

• Like 1