Why is Drum Corps the most predictable activity in all of sports?

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

But I see little sense in griping about the effects of a diet of exposure that one chooses for oneself.

I disagree with that part. Griping is part of the satisfaction and enjoyment one gets from competitive activities. Without that, something is missing.

• Like 1

I turn to Frank in these matters.

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks . . .
Don't touch that dial

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

I disagree with that part. Griping is part of the satisfaction and enjoyment one gets from competitive activities. Without that, something is missing.

Fair enough.

I suppose that I'm referring more to those that disparage the thing that they "love" simply because they have unwittingly ruined it for themselves... in various ways.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bluzes said:

No mystery, intrigue, suspense or surprises, my biggest down side come finals week. Why can any NFL team beat any other team on any given night. Why can't this predictably extend to paramutual betting so I can get rich? Inquiring minds want to know?

On the other hand, I find the brass arrangements of baseball disappointing, the choreography of football chaotic, the melding of artistic genres in soccer execrable and the thematic evocation in hockey laughable. Plus, SCV's mellophones. How much more do you want? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

If you are bored of it... Then you are watching too much or you need a diversion.

It's not a bad thing to see a couple of shows a year (maybe only one), NOT subscribe to Flow, avoid YouTube videos and forum discussions on the subject and stay away from winter 'marching' activities altogether.

Thanks but I didn't come here to be psycho analyzed. My question is why does the power of a napkin drawing (sketch at a restaurant) in October trump countless hours of practice, sweat, hard work when the outcome has been decided first time out of the box. Why aren't there any parallels to other sports or art forms. OK drum corps is not a sport today but will be tomorrow in other discussions Take 15 new paintings shuffle in different art critics what would the level of agreement be or 15 new music albums, movies  point to any other subjective activity that demonstrates such a hive mentality.

Instead of attacking me which is welcomed and part of the fun of posting things these days (troll alert). Explain what is it about a top show that towers it over the rest? Is one saying as fans being a boning intellectual is OK but don't drink the Kool Aid from over there. This reasoning comes from the same group of individuals that in the heat last week made some corps put more clothes on but kept the props which a huge dehydration factor in & of itself? If one think's that was a rational decision then I guess we deserve the rest of the reasoning.

I am sitting here clicking my heels saying three times "I believe in the power of the napkin" I think it's working. Thanks

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

Not sure I'd qualify DCI as a sport.

Also, the NBA is by far the more predictable sport.  By a wide margin.

the NFL. you can guarantee Jerry Jones will screw up the Cowboys

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kkrepps said:

griping is the one thing drum corps fans of all generations excel at

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

griping is the one thing drum corps fans of all generations excel at

Agreed but not the with the predictably of the NBA lost 5 grand one year cured me of doing anymore sports betting.

10 hours ago, Bluzes said:

No mystery, intrigue, suspense or surprises, my biggest down side come finals week. Why can any NFL team beat any other team on any given night. Why can't this predictably extend to paramutual betting so I can get rich? Inquiring minds want to know?

Please don't insult one's common sense by pointing to the judges having more Gigabytes of brain power than most including ump's, ref's, Olympic judges and what nots? The peer level agreement is off the charts beyond any boardroom agreement level. Multibilion dollars are invested with 55% - 60% agreement, dci is in the over 95%, why? I am going to love it when SCV wins this year, it's not about them. It's about going to the World Series or Superbowl and knowing the outcome going in. Wish I could brain shred any knowlege of the season going into finals week. I really can't believe the staff or talent level of any given corps is consistanty far superior every night?

Was able to in front of the wife & friends the other night get the entire top 16 correct, there's no way I should have been able to do that. Wife knew I am not that smart but the friends, funny.

Just a different take - if the results were markedly different every night the complaining would be MUCH more intense. What reason would the judges give? 'I like this show better?'  How would the staff and kids know what they needed to do to improve?

A relative consistency in judging is necessary not only for educational reasons but also for trust in the competitive aspect of the activity. 

You have to have a relative consistency of adjudication in order to have a night when a competitive result that is different than predicted can happen once in a while and be trusted.

Granted, this leads to 'writing the program for the judging sheets' but this is simply the price that is paid for having a rubric which is as fair as possible for all corps. Plus, you can't write a program that can't be executed by the performers you have. The two go together. 

In regard to 'one corps can't be consistently far superior night after night' I think the performers are so disciplined and mature these days that really you don't have a whole lot of outlier shows. There can still be such a thing as a 'bad run' but in general the performance level is pretty consistent night after night. 

Championships week is a little different. If you are looking for an exciting show, watch semis. That's a show when standings can move, especially from the 13th to 12th spot. Finals can also be interesting because a corps stuck in one spot can move up if they are loose and have a great show and the corps above them is tense or slightly off. Granted, a corps slipping from first to second is rare, but it does happen, and if I had time, I could come up with statistics.