Hey Flo! Please show this

This purpose of this thread is twofold:

1) See if we can assist FloMarching with some interesting moments that haven't been already covered.

2) Also help those attending the shows live with things to watch for you might have missed.

So -- What are some special/interesting moments in shows that you particularly like and are not already pretty much covered by Flo?  You can assume most soloists and small ensembles already get some coverage, but are there instances in a performance that need to be featured (more)?

-- My pick for this would be the dancing DM for Pacific Crest during "The 20th Century Fox Mambo".  Since I haven't seen PC live and only on Flo, if a PC parent hadn't posted about this, it would have gone almost unnoticed to me and to other fans.

And -- Are there moments that are so baby-throwing fantastic that Flo had better cover it (or else)?

-- My pick for this would be the Cadets "Z-Pull".  Flo:  Make sure you catch this on the high cam!!!  (Or, we know where you live -- haha.)

Flo can't show everything at every show, but I'm hoping we can make some thoughtful and reasonable suggestions to help the directors with some new and interesting shot selections.  Let's please keep this positive and devoid of snark.  If we get some great suggestions, I'll try to point Flo to this thread.

You can, of course, make more than one suggestion in either of the above or your own categories.  And though "<Your Favorite Corps'> entire show" is commendable, it is not helpful for the purposes of this thread.

So, what do you have?

• Like 4

Flo needs a dedicated microphone just to capture the horn snap in SCV's ballad.

Mandarins now slides their rear backdrops apart like a curtain to reveal their first guard member just as the solo dancer "dies." A camera shot that captures this (with the dancer in the foreground and the guard reveal directly behind in the background) from head-on near field level would be pretty chilling.

Every time Boston spells something out on the field, they need a high cam shot.

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 6

Just now, tedrick said:

Do the corps have a person involved in helping with the shot selection??

I would think that would be helpful --

I don't think they currently do. However, corps DO have a chance to fill out a form that helps Flo determine placement of their dedicated mics for pit speakers. This is especially important now as more corps have more than two stacks but Flo only has two mics for speakers.

• Thanks 1

I'd be happy if flo just cut to the actual thing that is happening more consistently.  It is a little better this year, but I still see shots of quads not being played while off camera I can hear the snares.  Or, why show the featured dancer running deep into the tunnel before the final notes of the show are heard?  Some of the details they choose to shoot make me scratch my head, like guard changing flags - something I never used to see when it was fan network.  

But yes, I'd love to see PC's dancing DM!  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Great idea for a thread. I'll chime in with some specifics later, but I just want to note two general desires now: (1) try to show as much drill as possible and (2) we generally need to see soloists for only a second as they start and maybe a second as they finish. Don't hold any close-ups for long unless the person is doing something visually interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I'd be happy if flo just cut to the actual thing that is happening more consistently.  It is a little better this year, but I still see shots of quads not being played while off camera I can hear the snares.  Or, why show the featured dancer running deep into the tunnel before the final notes of the show are heard?  Some of the details they choose to shoot make me scratch my head, like guard changing flags - something I never used to see when it was fan network.  

But yes, I'd love to see PC's dancing DM!  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Maybe if Flo has a pretty full shot sheet with many of our suggestions, there will be less left to chance. 

• Like 2

Pull away before any soloist winks...it’s my opinion, deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know what I don't need...shots of the front ensemble's feet.  Yes, I want to see the front ensemble, but having a zoom on their feet while a trumpet feature is playing is really off-putting.  

Just get rid of the drunk shots, and I think that will make a lot of people happier. 

• Like 2