Hey Flo! Please show this

26 minutes ago, mfrontz47 said:

Could anyone who understands how filming live broadcasts work comment whether it's difficult to have the closeups superimposed on the bottom right-hand corner of a high cam feed? Like how they used to have on the old DVD's? (thinking of Phantom 89 with the masked soloist) 

I've done some work for our TV broadcast Ministry at church, but I'll let someone who maybe has done mobile video chime in first. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brassboy said:

Flo needs a dedicated microphone just to capture the horn snap in SCV's ballad.

Mandarins now slides their rear backdrops apart like a curtain to reveal their first guard member just as the solo dancer "dies." A camera shot that captures this (with the dancer in the foreground and the guard reveal directly behind in the background) from head-on near field level would be pretty chilling.

Every time Boston spells something out on the field, they need a high cam shot.

it would help is Boston didnt compact the form

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Is Flo actually reading this? 

they've been known to quote directly from posts on here if you complain to them

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Is Flo actually reading this? 

I just sent FloMarching a FB message referencing this thread.  I hope they find this information useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a reply from Flo shortly after my message. He/she said this information will be passed along to the producers, but (of course) they can't make any promises whether our suggestions will make the feed or not.  The "dancing drum major" was mentioned, so I know they read at least part of the thread .

All in all, I think it was a reasonable reply. I'm still hopeful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Their shots are hand held with regular cameras. you can see the rolling shutter when they pan side to side. They have no professional crew it's a bunch of amateurs like all corporate jobs are now days. welcome to the gig economy.

29 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Their shots are hand held with regular cameras. you can see the rolling shutter when they pan side to side. They have no professional crew it's a bunch of amateurs like all corporate jobs are now days. welcome to the gig economy.

I asked that this not be a "let's bash Flo" thread.  If that's what you want to do, please start your own thread. Thanks!

• Like 5

On 7/24/2018 at 6:20 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Great idea for a thread. I'll chime in with some specifics later, but I just want to note two general desires now: (1) try to show as much drill as possible and (2) we generally need to see soloists for only a second as they start and maybe a second as they finish. Don't hold any close-ups for long unless the person is doing something visually interesting.

I've been thinking about this and I've decided I don't mind featuring a soloist.  If that's your kid playing/spinning (or someone you know well), you live for those few moments on screen especially if you can't get to a show. Just my $0.02.

I don’t know what they’re currently showing for Vanguard, but when they performed here, at the very end of the dance break, one of the mm’s on the side 1 high platform does a fricken backflip!! Just that dance number in general... oh MAN it’s good. 

Also, if they were able to get a camera INSIDE one of the cubes, maybe at the beginning when they’re all together in the center, or just set GoPros around the field/in the cubes at certain points, they could feature some unique views. (Also they risk the view of the guard changing equipment...)

Speaking of cameras inside props, getting a audience view from inside BD’s  cafe, especially when the soloists are standing on the counter, while absolutely insane, would be stunning. 

Edited by Who's on first?
  • Like 1