Hey Flo! Please show this

44 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

I don’t know what they’re currently showing for Vanguard, but when they performed here, at the very end of the dance break, one of the mm’s on the side 1 high platform does a fricken backflip!! Just that dance number in general... oh MAN it’s good. 

Also, if they were able to get a camera INSIDE one of the cubes, maybe at the beginning when they’re all together in the center, or just set GoPros around the field/in the cubes at certain points, they could feature some unique views. (Also they risk the view of the guard changing equipment...)

Speaking of cameras inside props, getting a audience view from inside BD’s  cafe, especially when the soloists are standing on the counter, while absolutely insane, would be stunning. 

Cameras/props --- we may have to wait for the post-season Corps-produced GoPro videos to see this. 

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I've been thinking about this and I've decided I don't mind featuring a soloist.  If that's your kid playing/spinning (or someone you know well), you live for those few moments on screen especially if you can't get to a show. Just my $0.02.

Definitely show the soloist! Just don't leave the camera there for too long. For the most part, soloists are not visually interesting. And there are 153 other members in the corps whose parents also want to see close-ups.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Definitely show the soloist! Just don't leave the camera there for too long. For the most part, soloists are not visually interesting. And there are 153 other members in the corps whose parents also want to see close-ups.

Ah -- true.  Sad to say, a lot will be disappointed. I only knew where The Son was because I knew his "dot".  But I did see him in the video at retreat when Crown won the gold. 

4 hours ago, Who's on first? said:

I don’t know what they’re currently showing for Vanguard, but when they performed here, at the very end of the dance break, one of the mm’s on the side 1 high platform does a fricken backflip!! Just that dance number in general... oh MAN it’s good. 

Also, if they were able to get a camera INSIDE one of the cubes, maybe at the beginning when they’re all together in the center, or just set GoPros around the field/in the cubes at certain points, they could feature some unique views. (Also they risk the view of the guard changing equipment...)

Speaking of cameras inside props, getting a audience view from inside BD’s  cafe, especially when the soloists are standing on the counter, while absolutely insane, would be stunning. 

Love the idea, but clearly this just isn't possible for Flo to do on the fly in a live stream.

One other thing I really wish they could do is mix in crowd reaction audio more. Right now I believe you can only hear whatever the field-facing mics can pick up from the audience. But for me, part of the excitement of watching drum corps is hearing the crowd go nuts during big hits or at the end of a show. 

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 1

My two cents:

1. Show more drill from mid to high vantage points.  Music is motion in drum corps. Most of us want to see that motion while listening.  Closeups are ok on rare occasions, but should not be extended past a few seconds.  This is not the NBA, a star-driven sport where closeups of dunks is part of what makes it cool on TV. That works for the NBA, but not for DCI.  Drum corps is a large-ensemble artistic activity that uses a large venue for presentation.  Showing this to viewers on TV or computer means doing your best to capture drill, motion, and big picture forms without moving into nose-bleed heights or getting too close that we lose the overall effect. 

2. I really believe FLO should try to record audio from midway up the stands (depending on the size of the stadium) and use 1 stereo pair in the middle, with single mono microphones at the 30 and 20 on each side of the 50. Mix in Pro Tools surround sound format.  I believe we would get a more natural sound with less bleeding from solos, solo mics, the pit, or the feedback from the large amplifiers up front.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

One thing i get the most out of on the finals recordings (understood not flo) is closeups of members as soon as the performance is over.  There are some very emotional, powerful reactions as members soak in the ovation of the crowd, especially on finals night.

It's not quite what it used to be.  They don't have a lot of time to soak it in any more because they need to clean up the field, but I can think of several shots in the past that have brought a tear to eye.

• Like 2

For those wanting to see the drill, there's always the option of the high cam. Please don't ask the multi-cam become another drill cam. I like the close-ups. It's nice to know those are hard working members out there and not just dots on a field. 

• Like 1

Speaking of closing moments, one of my favorite shots was Phantom’s conductor leading the last chord of City of Light gives me the chills every time I see it. Certainly wouldn’t mind seeing more of those types of shots. I think that closeups are awesome for showing the emotions and intensity that can be lost from the high cam. 

• Like 1