Babylon

7 minutes ago, Legoman said:

I wouldn't even limit "legendary" shows to just those that won. Looking at you Tilt and Inferno (among many others).

I'll even nod my hat toward Constantly Risking Absurdity. The right show won in 08, but Blue Devils are the one I go back to the most.

• Like 1

the bari soloist and the mello runs at the end of the show -

are great

the drum line is so good and has been so good for so many years that this year is kind of not memorable

I think Babylon will be a show that I will want to go back and watch -- but not so much pull up on my phone and listen to while driving....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Things are looking really good for SCV this year.

If Babylon wins the title- how will it be looked back on in Drum Corps history?

Is it a legendary show?

Its a good question.. but only the future decades fans will tell us.  Drum Corps " History ", heck even just " History " in general,  is replete with works of Art, Music, Books, Movies,  ( even Politicians ) that were either not very revered and appreciated at the time, or were later to be considered overrated in later years.

I don't think this show is legendary.  It's very well executed but I saw it in Mesquite this week and I was quite underwhelmed. Maybe too much hype going into it. I thought BD and CC had much more enjoyable shows.  BD blew me away.  I'm not saying Babylon will not win but it's not a show I will remember.  I'm all about GE and to me it just didn't have the same level of GE as BD, BC, CC or even Cavies.  I still enjoyed it I just didn't love it. 

17 minutes ago, biffwah said:

I'm all about GE and to me it just didn't have the same level of GE as BD, BC, CC or even Cavies.  I still enjoyed it I just didn't love it. 

Why don't you think it has as much GE as those others? I think it is awesome from a GE perspective. It's so well designed and effective. I've watched the show, on video at least 50 times, and have seen it live once, and I still see new things every time I watch it. It's pure excitement from start to finish. Usually, I'm not a fan of ballads, but SCV's is great this year - beautiful in construction and still really exciting. Best show of the year IMO.

• Like 3

Wait until we have the final product to decide how it stacks up historically..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaylogan said:

I listen to the top 8 at least once a month. Especially Blue Devils, Cadets, and Phantom Regiment. Cavaliers show is light-hearted entertainment as well.

I so agree!!! I also would have to add Carolina Crown to the mix. Triple Crown still brings a smile to my face. 

• Like 1

When I think of legendary shows, I think of game changers:

'80 SCV - asymetrical drill.

'83 Garfield - elevated drill to a whole new level.

'93 Star - Years ahead of it's time. Took musicality and visuals to a new level.

'16 Bluecoats - Took prop usage and uniforms to a new level.

I don't know if 2018 SCV is legendary yet. I will say they've taken prop usage to a new more sophisticated level. The props are fully integrated into the show. No one else, this year, can say that. They are an integral part of the whole and used very effectively. Time will tell what status this show receives, but it is certainly the best of the year, IMO.

• Like 2