Babylon

1 hour ago, kkrepps said:

I watched Babylon on my phone. It was good, but I don't know about legendary. I had to mute the sound, so I couldn't hear the music. It didn't wow me like when I saw BD Metamorph live at Lucas oil can last year, I enjoyed that more. The tiny screen and no sound might have affected my judgment.

No only did viewing it on a small screen with no sound affect your judgement, not seeing it live would have too. It is a show that totally blows you away when you see it live.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Things are looking really good for SCV this year.

If Babylon wins the title- how will it be looked back on in Drum Corps history?

Is it a legendary show?

Interesting you started this thread 

its not the leap forward star 93 was, but it is a culmination of some current design trends and an extension of a few

I’d put it right in par with Coats 2018 in terms of impact in the activity and overall memorable 

• Like 2

I think Babylon will be remembered in the future for another milestone that moved the activity forward in terms of programming (perfection!) and staging. I think Michael Gaines will reassert his genius status with how he has crafted this show and many will study it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, biffwah said:

I don't think this show is legendary.  It's very well executed but I saw it in Mesquite this week and I was quite underwhelmed. Maybe too much hype going into it. I thought BD and CC had much more enjoyable shows.  BD blew me away.  I'm not saying Babylon will not win but it's not a show I will remember.  I'm all about GE and to me it just didn't have the same level of GE as BD, BC, CC or even Cavies.  I still enjoyed it I just didn't love it. 

Yeah, it’s what Queenanne said. BD is fine, but been there, done that. Watching them put their puzzle pieces together? More fun for them than the audience. Cavies are also entertaining. My wife said that the guard had a lot of drops and I said that’s normal when something is ALWAYS flying thru the air. Bloo? That’s the one that perplexes me. After I saw it once...I was like okay, i’ve Seen it. Now it’s my bathroom break show. BAC is good if you are on the right side of the field, if not...you’re probably wondering what’s happening way over there while you are staring at stick trees. Crowns brass is serious. And percussion is under-rated. Don’t attack before the ballad is over...it undoes the mood violently. 

Edited by DCIDADDIO

31 minutes ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Yeah, it’s what Queenanne said. BD is fine, but been there, done that. Watching them put their puzzle pieces together? More fun for them than the audience. Cavies are also entertaining. My wife said that the guard had a lot of drops and I said that’s normal when something is ALWAYS flying thru the air. Bloo? That’s the one that perplexes me. After I saw it once...I was like okay, i’ve Seen it. Now it’s my bathroom break show. BAC is good if you are on the right side of the field, if not...you’re probably wondering what’s happening way over there while you are staring at stick trees. Crowns brass is serious. And percussion is under-rated. Don’t attack before the ballad is over...it undoes the mood violently. 

You have a kid in SCV this year right? 

I'd imagine you'd take it more than personally if someone called SCV's show this year their "bathroom break show" 

Just saying :lle:

Here's a big question: do you mean legendary in the context of highly-loved, or game-changing?

Personally it seems like we have one TRULY game-changing show once every 13 years or so, starting with SCV '89, then Cavies '02, then Bloo '16. These shows really changed the course of the sport. (Also not to dis Star '93, that would definitely be an honorable mention on this list)

Then there's highly-loved, like E=mc^2 or Spartacus. Fantastic show, but it didn't really change DCI forever. This is where I think Babylon will fall.

Edited by ccklinefelter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

Yeah, seems to me actually being to hear the show would indeed be a significant factor in determining your level of enjoyment.  The music is by far what carries the show.

Coming from a BD fan :laugh: y'all are killin' it in visual this year, as per usual (even with losing in guard to BAC at the Alamodome).

55 minutes ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Yes, it was no suprise to me what BD was doing with that prop, and I agree they don't really do much in utilizing props until the end, but I absolutely love it and love their show. It's one of my favorites BD has put out in the past several years, and that guard is just sick. That sabre feature is amazing. I love everything about it. Prior to last year, I never watched BD on Flo - I would always skip them. Now, I think I need to go back and rewatch their past shows because I'm starting to get them and appreciate them more.

I don't understand, myself, all the praise Session 44 is getting. I find Bluecoats show really enjoyable musically and drill wise, but I am not a fan at all of the props or the usage of the colorguard. The props really aren't intersting to me, they really don't do anything with them that is new or interesting to me, and they are a distraction to me. With SCV the props are so well integrated that sometimes I forget they are there. I was rewatching San Antonio and the horn drill in the closer and I thought, "Wait, whered they props go?" No where, they were there, I just dind't notice them. With BD, I though the props were going to be a distration when I first saw them, but I am so focused on so many other cool elements with their show, that they don't distract me. For me, I like every single show since 2013 far better than Session 44. Still, I defintely won't be skipping Bluecoats on Flo because despite my misgivings it is still a really entertaining show.

All in all a really good season.

Edited by queenanne_1536