Babylon

11 minutes ago, TRacer said:

As a FMM and parent, I see Babylon as a game changer in the context that * it’s the Santa Clara Freaking (Cave)Guard * doing it— not Bloo, or BD, or Crown. These were the folks that were all about subtlety. They wore spiffy uniforms, with nice green hats. They were cruising along quite nicely until they forgot they were on the autobahn, then Crown and Bloo flew past them in the left lane at high triple digit speeds. Suddenly their ‘89 Bentley Turbo R wasn’t so fast anymore. (I raced NHRA for 17 years so going fast is second nature.) 

No more. They’ve ditched the look, and taken off the gloves. Last year was a start but this year is— at least in this alum’s view— an entirely different level of SCV being really angry on the field which, with all due respect, GR never really allowed us (his corps) to do.

They have now fully embraced the model taught at the Michael Bay School of Show Design (“I want EXPLOSIONS! I want GIANT ROBOTS!! I want DINOSAURS!!! I want...EXPLODINGGIANTROBOTDINOSAURS!!!”, as he waves his arms expansively.) 

(Open neck shirt, gold chain wearing executive producer...) 

You want acrobat musicians? Give ‘em two!!

You want a loud hornline on pace for an Ott? Check!

You want Maynard Ferguson clones up front, on a mic?? Give ‘em three!

You say a Hip hop modern look is where it’s at?? YO!! 

Trombones??? Fuggedahboutit!!

You want Outdoor BLAST? Gotcha covered!!

Dance? We got ur dancers, oh yeah!!

In your face drumline? Are you kiddin’? Sheesh!! Where you been? 

Props? Yeah, we got those too! Just wait until my guys figure out how to make ‘em remote controlled like those robot vaccuum cleaners; it’ll be the wave of the future, baby!!

If SCV pulls this off come the last Saturday of the season the balance of power shifts West, and performers have another championship contender to choose from. And, they have a farm system laying waste to the Open Class landscape from which to mine talent! Imagine SCV contending every single year...not every 10 or 20. That’s a game-changer right there. 

Just a correction, the balance of power has ALWAYS been west for at least the past decade. 18 world titles for the Blue Devils. 

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Edited by TRacer

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Just a correction, the balance of power has ALWAYS been west for at least the past decade. 18 world titles for the Blue Devils. 

DCP glitch. 

That’s common knowledge. Balance of power in the respect that it’ll be that much more difficult to wrest the Founder’s Trophy out of CA. But you knew that. Should I edit my original post? 

Edited by TRacer

35 minutes ago, TRacer said:

As a FMM and parent, I see Babylon as a game changer in the context that * it’s the Santa Clara Freaking (Cave)Guard * doing it— not Bloo, or BD, or Crown. These were the folks that were all about subtlety. They wore spiffy uniforms, with nice green hats. They were cruising along quite nicely until they forgot they were on the autobahn, then Crown and Bloo flew past them in the left lane at high triple digit speeds. Suddenly their ‘89 Bentley Turbo R wasn’t so fast anymore. (I raced NHRA for 17 years so going fast is second nature.) 

No more. They’ve ditched the look, and taken off the gloves. Last year was a start but this year is— at least in this alum’s view— an entirely different level of SCV being really angry on the field which, with all due respect, GR never really allowed us (his corps) to do. This restraint was continued in succeeding years. 

They have now fully embraced the model taught at the Michael Bay School of Show Design (“I want EXPLOSIONS! I want GIANT ROBOTS!! I want DINOSAURS!!! I want...EXPLODINGGIANTROBOTDINOSAURS!!!”, as he waves his arms expansively.) 

(Open neck shirt, gold chain wearing executive producer...) 

You want acrobat musicians? Give ‘em two!!

You want a loud hornline on pace for an Ott? Check!

You want Maynard Ferguson clones up front, on a mic?? Give ‘em three!

You say a Hip hop modern look is where it’s at?? YO!! 

Trombones??? Fuggedahboutit!!

You want Outdoor BLAST? Gotcha covered!!

Dance? We got ur dancers, oh yeah!!

In your face drumline? Are you kiddin’? Sheesh!! Where you been? 

Props? Yeah, we got those too! Just wait until my guys figure out how to make ‘em remote controlled like those robot vaccuum cleaners; it’ll be the wave of the future, baby!!

If SCV pulls this off come the last Saturday of the season the balance of power shifts West, and performers have another championship contender to choose from. And, they have a farm system that is thoroughly dominating the Open Class landscape from which to mine talent! Imagine SCV contending every single year...not every 10 or 20. That’s a game-changer right there. 

Not only did they take off the gloves...they lost their hats too. I know that drove some traditionalists a bit off the rails, but half of what they do and the energy required meant the hats would have been flying all over the place.

So the Turbo R is gone...I'm curious as to what you would think they are driving now. Perhaps the angry bull Aventador? 

* Opening, as designed, grabs our attention

* Multi-level towers are organic portion of show

* Show design stretches end-zone to end-zone

* Interesting variety of extraordinary soloist 

* Unified Dance Scene well executed and FUN

* Horns UP is a drum Corp fan's MOMENT

* Emotionally, visually, auditorilly satisfying 

Very much appreciate this show, especially considering the effort necessary to transform themselves from middle-of-the-pack finalist, to performing organization capable of producing and brilliantly performing BABYLON.

Personally, I don't think the show is all that good, ballad is great, soloists are great, drumline is pretty good. There are really just a few groundbreaking shows since DCI started this scoring system.

1) 1983 Garfield Cadets

2) 1993 Star

3) Possibly Coats 2016, just because of the style shift.

SCV is executing well and is in the drivers seat this season with a nice show.....enjoy :)

52 minutes ago, Bachstrad said:

* Opening, as designed, grabs our attention

* Multi-level towers are organic portion of show

* Show design stretches end-zone to end-zone

* Interesting variety of extraordinary soloist 

* Unified Dance Scene well executed and FUN

* Horns UP is a drum Corp fan's MOMENT

* Emotionally, visually, auditorilly satisfying 

Very much appreciate this show, especially considering the effort necessary to transform themselves from middle-of-the-pack finalist, to performing organization capable of producing and brilliantly performing BABYLON.

End zone to end zone? 

1 hour ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Not only did they take off the gloves...they lost their hats too. I know that drove some traditionalists a bit off the rails, but half of what they do and the energy required meant the hats would have been flying all over the place.

Maybe pump the brakes a little on" the no hats " thing  ? ..... lol!!.  BD won it all last season and wore  " hats " in much of their show. Were they " hatless " ? BD is a few tenths in back of SCV at the moment... " with hats "... Bluecoats have " hats "... Crown have " hats ". Cavaliers have " hats ". Some Corps not in the top 12  however and with placement slippage have " no hats "'.   Whoever wins DCI will do so for a myriad of reasons. But what they have or don't have planted on their heads won't mean much at all to winning the Title, nor losing the Title... lol!.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

End zone to end zone? 

Technically, they only stretch 5 to 5. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Maybe pump the brakes a little on" the no hats " thing  ? ..... lol!!.  BD won it all last season and wore  " hats " in much of their show. Were they " hatless " ? BD is a few tenths in back of SCV at the moment... " with hats "... Bluecoats have " hats "... Crown have " hats ". Cavaliers have " hats ". Some Corps not in the top 12  however and with placement slippage have " no hats "'.   Whoever wins DCI will do so for a myriad of reasons. But what they have or don't have planted on their heads won't mean much at all to winning the Title, nor losing the Title... lol!.

Just meant that it was a bit different...not that it couldn't be done with hats. sheesh, way too literal. The comment was made that scv took off the gloves, and I added the hats too. Just breathe; BD is great, Bloo is great, Cavies are great and so are others, and headgear doesn't make a difference.