Allentown Housing Urgent!

43 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The gift that keeps on giving.  :34_rolling_eyes:

The Cadets old administration burned so many bridges at high schools around western Pennsylvania that most schools that here Cadets even today say no thanks. I was asked to help find them a school a few years back and I finally had a friend of a friend who had heard tales of cadets, but I put my word and told them it would be fine! Band director told old director, you can have the field and gymnasium for day and night, but these are the strict rules A,B,C &D.He called me up that evening and said director ignored A,B &D! Never again he said! Sad the reputation ....I don’t think there is a school within a 30 mile radius that will have them because of his arrogance! 

Edited by J.Keith
  • Sad 1

WOW!  I thought the members were very well behaved at all of the places when I was on tour.  They also cleaned up before they left.  That is sad to hear this.  Hopefully things will gradually change.  It take sometime to change impressions once places feel they have been burned.

3 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

WOW!  I thought the members were very well behaved at all of the places when I was on tour.  They also cleaned up before they left.  

The previous post leads us to believe GH was the problem because he didn't have the corps do what the school director asked and supposedly agreed upon before hand.

So what happens if this doesn’t get resolved?  Do OC and Genesis just get dropped from the show for lack of available housing?

2 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

WOW!  I thought the members were very well behaved at all of the places when I was on tour.  They also cleaned up before they left.  That is sad to hear this.  Hopefully things will gradually change.  It take sometime to change impressions once places feel they have been burned.

Was not members at all...Ghost was correct. Former director did not respect rules!

Edited by J.Keith

4 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

Has the rain / flooding caused the lack of availability of schools for corps to stay?  Is there a national guard base in the area?  If housing appears to be such a problem is it possible that this event will either be cancelled or moved in the near future?  If moved, where would be an alternate location?  

I was wondering if the local news media in the Allentown area could be used to help with the housing situation.  

most of the flooding is done. its been a challenge for a while because of past abuses, but the real issue, and it's growing nation wide is schools dont want outside groups in their buildings, especially over night. 

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Is "thanks a lot GH" a valid comment at this time?

it's far more than just that

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

most of the flooding is done. its been a challenge for a while because of past abuses, but the real issue, and it's growing nation wide is schools dont want outside groups in their buildings, especially over night. 

My school never housed a corps prior to 2008.  When i requested to house the Vanguard i told my administration I would remain on site with them the entire time they were there.  I was the middle school band Director so i slept in my office, ate with the corps, and was at the practice field observing every rehearsal. Learned alot and met some great people ( staff, volunteers, corps members)  and never had a problem. I called it " Drum corps fantasy camp."  Housed them for 10 years and eventually joined the admin staff.  If they are properly supervised, no problems.  Unfortunately not everyone is willing to do this.

Most schools have a janitor on duty when a gym/auditorium is being used after school hours.  Wouldn't be much of an expense to have a janitor or two on duty during the time a corps is using the schools facilities.  Maybe the corps foots the bill.