Allentown Housing Urgent!

7 hours ago, M Ryan said:

My school never housed a corps prior to 2008.  When i requested to house the Vanguard i told my administration I would remain on site with them the entire time they were there.  I was the middle school band Director so i slept in my office, ate with the corps, and was at the practice field observing every rehearsal. Learned alot and met some great people ( staff, volunteers, corps members)  and never had a problem. I called it " Drum corps fantasy camp."  Housed them for 10 years and eventually joined the admin staff.  If they are properly supervised, no problems.  Unfortunately not everyone is willing to do this.

I can think of worse restrictions than camping out in the office so you could basically join the corps staff for the weekend.  :laughing:

In 2000, I was living in an apartment in Laurel, MD that was right over a small hill from a middle school.  I was enraptured by SCV's arrangement of Adagio for Strings at prelims that year and the next morning I was got up humming it and took my walk (in the other direction) as usual. When arriving back to my apartment I giggled to myself because "It's almost like I can hear it in my head still!"  

Then I realized...oh wait, I AM hearing it...I think...

So I go over the hill and yup, there's SCV practicing the ballad on the field.  The worked on the ballad all afternoon and I just sat there at the fence listening.  A staff member waved from across  the field at one point wondering if there was a problem and I waved back and gave a thumbs up.

Edited by KVG_DC

On 7/29/2018 at 11:37 PM, MotoSurfBass said:

Upper Perkiomen I'm sure was a no (as an alumnus, their administration is horrid and their AD refuses anything but football to hold practices on the main field), but there is a separate, private school in the same town. That was where the Bluecoats rehearsed in 2016, and I believe another WC may have last year as well. 

https://www.perkiomen.org/

bump

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

most of the flooding is done. its been a challenge for a while because of past abuses, but the real issue, and it's growing nation wide is schools dont want outside groups in their buildings, especially over night. 

I know our school has to hire security at night when a group stays over night.  That is an additional expense.  Plus, many schools have programs, such as summer school, band camp, football, etc. going on which makes it difficult to host a corps.

• Like 1

Has everyone found housing for Allentown?

34 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

Has everyone found housing for Allentown?

Not yet. Still looking for Genesis and Oregon Crusaders.  The promising conversations we had yesterday fell through today.  We are still looking!  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Most schools have a janitor on duty when a gym/auditorium is being used after school hours.  Wouldn't be much of an expense to have a janitor or two on duty during the time a corps is using the schools facilities.  Maybe the corps foots the bill.

the bigger worry is liability

• Like 1

I would be skeptical of using Allentown again for a contest if enough adequate housing can't be found for all of the corps.

3 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I would be skeptical of using Allentown again for a contest if enough adequate housing can't be found for all of the corps.

Better avoid the Northeast as a whole from now on if that's the case.

I'm not sure what the current Allentown area housing problem is. I am hoping it's just a one year crisis. I can tell you (from experience) securing corps housing is extremely difficult with a wide variety of potential conflicts.  Many years ago, we actually did find corps housing for 56 corps in this community. Over the same weekend!

Looking at the this year's housing assignments, it does appear schools in the Allentown School District, itself, are being under-utilized. Several ASD schools used in the past are not being used this time around. The reasons might be quite legitimate, for sure. This could be a one-off year.  I do know, the Allentown School District has been in some turmoil the past few years. Numerous different District Superintendents and building Principal changes. Huge budget deficits, too.

Sounds like every effort is being made by DCI to come up with something . . . but, the clock is ticking.